What would CR do, loan your car?

RS69

QSL wanted the Viewt for indoor display for one year. I worried that not starting and driving the car for that period would be detrimental; otherwise I would have agreed.

That would be a valid concern. Would distance be a concern also?

I could think about it. It would depend on my attachment to the car and how much I realistically drive it.

I would more than likely do it so long as it was put into writing any damages that occurred to the vehicle during its tenure in the venue would be covered by either the owner of the venue or their insurance provider. QSL would scare the shit out of me, too many people around and alcohol thrown into the mix usually ends poorly. A museum would be a little less worry-some.

QSL wanted the Viewt for indoor display for one year. I worried that not starting and driving the car for that period would be detrimental; otherwise I would have agreed.

There is no way I'd put my car in that place. The fryers stink up that restaurant like crazy, and the residue/smell gets everywhere. I worked there for a few years in highschool/college and I'd try my hardest to talk anyone out of doing that.

Let's say, if an opportunity to loan your car to a museum would you do it? The term could be 9 months to a year.

if you don't do this tell them I have a beautifully clean 2007 Hyundai Minivan they can use for as long as they like :p

On one hand its awesome to say, you have such a great car that its museum quality. On the other i would hate to lose out on it for a year.

Im guessing this is for your 69 ( i belive) vette you just finished thats beautiful? I say go for it, since i know you have plenty of other toys in the stable that could use your attention.

On one hand its awesome to say, you have such a great car that its museum quality. On the other i would hate to lose out on it for a year.

Im guessing this is for your 69 ( i belive) vette you just finished thats beautiful? I say go for it, since i know you have plenty of other toys in the stable that could use your attention.

The Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Kentucky is requesting a car like my 69. However, I still have some things yet to finish, aka the interior and detailing the engine bay. The exterior is done and it depends on the way it would displayed. I don't know if I could let it go for the time frame and the fact it would be a few hours away also.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/RAS69/Corvette/IMG_20160417_152126.jpg

Too bad they don't want the 78 Silver Anniversity, if they did, it would be there.

Edited by RS69

I would, if it's a real museum. Some bullshit "museum" or half-assed attraction, nope. But if it's real, think of the little kids who may be inspired by seeing it. Beautiful car, even if it's not "done" or "perfect" to you it will be to them. Worth it to make that impact. Maybe it's pie in the sky or whatever but a little time could continue a generation.

I would, if it's a real museum. Some bullshit "museum" or half-assed attraction, nope. But if it's real, think of the little kids who may be inspired by seeing it. Beautiful car, even if it's not "done" or "perfect" to you it will be to them. Worth it to make that impact. Maybe it's pie in the sky or whatever but a little time could continue a generation.

It is a real museum and agree if it can inspire the next generation that would be awesome.

A Corvette being displayed at THE Corvette Museum could help it gain even more value I think if you ever planned on selling it. Would be cool to say your car was featured there too, assuming it's only for a year or less so you can get back to driving it.

A couple of things from doing this with motorcycles and helping friends do this as well:

- Insurance: Ask the museum who covers damage to the car? Do they provide insurance? Do you have to? does your existing policy cover it? For shows I used to have to get a "show and event" rider through hagerty for some of the more rare bikes I used to display, but it wasn't a lot of money and actually provided great piece of mind. For film work I had to get a completely different policy but production companies usually paid it (even if I built it into the price of the rental). Last thing you want to hear is that another sinkhole has opened up in the museum and by the way you are responsible for paying for the damage.

- Storage: ask them what they recommend but storing a car for a year is usually not a big deal. I would drain coolant and all gasoline. All fuel. Last year my GTO sat for almost a full year without starting, when I went to start some residual fuel in the mechanical fuel pump had gummed it up so I had to flush it out, but otherwise having drained the Q-jet, all the lines, and the tank, meant it started right up. I stored it with coolant in it but it wasn't the smartest thing as the stuff that came out looked pretty awful. leave oil in it if it isn't leaking, same with brake fluid. remove battery Make sure that you and the museum are in clear agreement as to how the car is moved. You want it hand moved, if they want it able to be started up and moved then be clear about them starting the car regularly to circulate fluids.

- display: Ask them how it will be displayed? if it is close enough for people to touch it, you are going to want to consider a heavy wax application or maybe a clear bra, if it is roped off, make sure it is far enough back and not in anybody's way.

That fact that it is the National Corvette Museum I would for sure do it. Car would be taken care of and you would not have to worry about it. Would be cool to share some day that this car was in the NCM. Not every Corvette owner gets that opportunity.

The 78 vettes are increasing in value. However, there are quite a few that are still a good value.

I haven't followed up yet with the museum, but will be speaking with them this week. They are requesting the color Monaco Orange,aka hugger orange.

Thanks again for the input.