RX-8 Broke Down, Whats My Next Car?

ShowHBK

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just old, 15 years at a minimum at this point. Any car at that age is going to make a questionable DD.

I'm sure it's a fine daily but you're never gonna autocross it because it's a big dumb turd and the next thing you know you're posting on CR about how great Buicks are. I'M LOOKING AT YOU CR.

But it’s a chebb, fix it with Elmer’s n duct tape. Parts are cheap and everywhere.

Are my pictars blank?

Your pictures capture my soul... yes! I want a GT more than anything, but... it's just not in the budget. I would lose money each month and assuming that nothing goes wrong with it, the gas would bury me at this point sadly.

Answering back to Kerry's list

- VW Gti MK7 MT - I don't like the look or the interior of the GTI... though I respect and like the idea of the car

- Honda Accord Sport MT - I have no plans to dye my hair, wear loose fitting clothes from Hot Topic, and talk about VTEC at CC&C...

- Honda Civic Si - Wanna talk VTEC and Power to weight ratios? Hold on.. let meh vape real quick.

- Miata (any generation) - YES! YES!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Fiat 124 spider (Fiat is running a $4K off special on leftover 2018s, which puts the price down to $18K - Shut the fuck up!?! are you trolling? *google search*... he's not trolling.... suprisedpikachu.meme

- 2008-2013 S197 mustang GT Track Pack MT. (Because you won't shut up about a mustang) Can't afford it... cross this off the list.

- Kia forte koup Manual trans (probably the cheapest one here but if you can find a 2014 with less than 60k miles there will still be some warranty left on it.) HamsterCommercial.meme

- Toyota corolla hatchback MT (I think you can get these new in or close to your price range). no...just...no... please god no....

So... C5 is back on the table...

- VW Gti MK7 MT - I don't like the look or the interior of the GTI... though I respect and like the idea of the car

- Honda Accord Sport MT - I have no plans to dye my hair, wear loose fitting clothes from Hot Topic, and talk about VTEC at CC&C...

- Honda Civic Si - Wanna talk VTEC and Power to weight ratios? Hold on.. let meh vape real quick.

- Miata (any generation) - YES! YES!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Fiat 124 spider (Fiat is running a $4K off special on leftover 2018s, which puts the price down to $18K - Shut the fuck up!?! are you trolling? *google search*... he's not trolling.... suprisedpikachu.meme

- 2008-2013 S197 mustang GT Track Pack MT. (Because you won't shut up about a mustang) Can't afford it... cross this off the list.

- Kia forte koup Manual trans (probably the cheapest one here but if you can find a 2014 with less than 60k miles there will still be some warranty left on it.) HamsterCommercial.meme

- Toyota corolla hatchback MT (I think you can get these new in or close to your price range). no...just...no... please god no....

Sounds like your hard pressed on getting another RWD.

As it should be :cool:

Who cares if it's older? My daily is a 30 year old rusty pickup truck. I've driven it daily for the last two years, and you know how much I've spent on it besides brakes and oil changes? Exactly $0.

Get a C5 and a cheap beater/backup car. /thread

I've had a few replies typed out then started over. Just some thoughts:

1. It looks like a few guys on the forum know you and your actual financial situation much better than the rest of us. Their advice is probably better for you than our's.

2. It also looks like your stated $15-18k budget is a little too high and will stretch you too thin. I'd recommend going lower and then if something does need repaired (car, home, otherwise), it won't crush you. Especially if your credit score is low, the less you finance, the better.

3. No matter what you get, it will be a compromise in your mind from what you really want anyway, a 2015+ Mustang GT manual. It seems like you can either get a newer economy car or an older sports/sporty car.

All that in mind, if it were me, I'd get something similar to what I really wanted, a RWD V8 (Mustang in your case). I've had a couple daily drivers that I absolutely hated getting into everyday, traffic here sucks bad enough without getting into something you hate everyday. And for a daily driver, I'd even sacrifice the manual for an auto, if the right deal came along.

That said, doing some quick searches on Craigslist, I'd look in the $13k and lower range and save yourself some money. In the price range, I saw quite a few low mile 2005+ Mustang GTs, C5's (one with only 22k miles in Detroit), and 1998-2002 Camaros and Trans Ams that could make great daily's without breaking the bank and if ever needed, parts are cheap for them. But most are auto trannies.

so look at the Focus St then, or try to find an MT Audi A3 which is basically an Audi badged GTI with a longer roof. Hot hatches are great cars.

This drives me nuts about car culture. This idea that because you drive a certain car you are a certain type of person. A fun car is a fun car and belief in a shitty stereotype is a dumb reason to keep away from a fun car. You drive an Rx8 now so I can't possibly believe you are this self conscious about personal image. Seriously, these are good cars, at least give them a chance.

yeah discovered this by accident - was at toy barn after hours looking at a car on their lot and decided to drive around the fiat lot across the street. Saw they had a ton of 124s so logged on to the website and bam...saw the incentive on 2018 models. Unfortunately since first seeing this back in late feb, most local ones have been snatched up and I think the only one that qualifies is up in mansfield:

https://www.fiatusa.com/new-inventory/vehicle-details.html?modelYearCode=IUX201807&vin=JC1NFAEK1J0136818&dealerCode=45310&radius=100&matchType=X&statusCode=KZX&variation=Classica&drive=RWD

ok, forget Track PAck then...you can't afford this?

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/d/eastpointe-2012-ford-mustang-gt-stick/6815890004.html

don't count this out. I drove a co-worker's several years ago and was quite impressed with the car. It felt like a 6th gen civic Si, which to me was a great car. Just a pure fun driving experience.

I happen to think they are fantastic bargains:

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/d/akron-2012-kia-forte-koup-sx-financing/6836289453.html

https://huntington.craigslist.org/cto/d/ashland-2016-kia-forte-koup-turbo/6799415227.html

then again I think the Scion TC is also a good solid hot little hatch:

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/westerville-2014-scion-tc-coupe/6797423310.html

Yea they’re fun cars for the price. I’ve owned 2 of them simply for the fact that they were good deals. Both were modded. One had 410rwhp other had 450rwhp. Pretty reliable and comfortable.

Yea they’re fun cars for the price. I’ve owned 2 of them simply for the fact that they were good deals. Both were modded. One had 410rwhp other had 450rwhp. Pretty reliable and comfortable.

looks like it. I'm honestly going to keep an eye out for one in a year or two down the road after were done with the house.

the only problem I see with a GTO is that it might be too old to get financing for being an 04-06, and finding one with under 100k miles to meet some of the credit union requirements for specialty car financing. otherwise +1 for a GTO.

Inb4 mike comes along and makes some obscure millennial vaping joke only he laughs at.

Yeah, Penfed will just cut you a check for almost anything.

Rate valid for model years 2014 - 2020
...and that asterisk is only on the 72 month option. Shorter period doesnt seem to be restricted except by:

Used Auto Loans: Maximum used car loan advance will be determined by PenFed using a NADA value. Financing is available up to NADA average retail value plus tags, title, taxes and extended warranties not to exceed 110%.