RX-8 Broke Down, Whats My Next Car?

ShowHBK

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kerry and greg bring up really good points in terms of insurance costs and sales tax on the buy. I will say I was surprised how cheap the Corvette was to insure.

I'm changing my stance: just get the C5, or get something more economical with a stick. Mustang V6 doesn't count as you'll be paying a lot more for insurance.

Also, I drive a CTS-V because I've got kiddos. If you have no progeny or family transportation restrictions, definitely look at the Corvette instead.

CTSV

If you find me a CTSV in my budget with a MT... I will buy it, :lol:

C5 lol

The C5 has been mentioned a lot in this thread, and honestly... I love the idea of owning a Vette, but there is no way in hell I could afford the upkeep on that thing to keep it in good shape. Also, Is it true that most vettes look clean on the outside, but when you look under them it can be rust city?

He has an RX-8 right now though. If he wants comfy and roomy, that's a different list of cars in my mind. Even if staying in the V8 world, more comfy and roomy to me would be Challenger, Charger, older Caddy, etc.

It's kinda funny because the RX-8 actually is smaller on the inside then you would think. Ashley and I sometimes fight over the center rest because I have to shift, but her arm is in the way. What I do know is that I want something with more power/torque then what I already have. The 8 is very agile and MX-5 like handling, but I have no problem with trading that for a better engine. V8 or bust seems to be what people are saying about the Mustang... but why? is the V6 really that bad? or will I just get shit from other Mustang fans for "cheeping out"?

You've been in a nimble low torque car for a while with the Wank/RX8 and assume like these dynamics. Agree on the BRZ or Miata maybe viable options and suggest a Z4 as well. Unsure if the back seat was ever used in the RX8. Be forewarned most the V8 cars mentioned above are going to feel heavy and less nimble. If you are only looking to go fast and can get used to the weight maybe they will work. When I moved away from the RX7 all the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger cars felt like pigs.

GL with the decision and new car.

I know nothing about the Z4... any good? There is something that is pulling me to the Mustang though... I really want to know whats wrong with the V6

Mike, before you actually go car shopping, go get an insurance quote on the cars on this list. IIRC you are still in your mid-20's which means the ins company might want to bend you over the rail for the premium on some of these cars. Since you are likely financing your $15K hot rod, you'll have to carry full coverage and that can get expensive quick. No point in buying a car if you can't afford to insure said car.

Personally I like the Toybaru twins, but I think even they have higher than average insurance premiums.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I just don't think you've had enough experience driving "high performance" cars to jump into driving a 450hp sports car in ohio winter to get somewhere. You and I have had this conversation before, you need a reliable, not think about it, daily commuter beater that you can abuse and neglect while focusing on the other stuff you are doing. You are working with Kevan on his Lemons car (presumably you'll get to drive that, right?), and now you have the toy project car in your Rx-8. Get like a stick honda civic or a VW GTI if you don't want to be bored to death while you Ls swap the RX8 (your new place has a garage, right?)

just my thoughts. If you really still want to push for a rwd v8 car, then my suggestion is don't finance anything - go buy an old but clean, cheap, unmodded, SN95 new edge mustang and have fun. It's not 400+hp and parts are pretty cheap. something like this: https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/centerburg-2000-mustang-gt/6828963931.html

Kerry and Greg with the sage advice... I love/hate it when people do this. You are 100% correct that I need something that is reliable..but compromising is so hard. I met someone on CR in the summer time who purchased my Surface and he had a Lincoln MKZ that was fully loaded and I really like it. Some of the lower trim MKZ are within my budget from 2015, so I have been looking at those... but Mustang is high on my priority list unless I discover that is a huge mistake. I'm turning 29 this summer, so I cant imagine that insurance will bend me over that much... I have never been in an accident and have 0 tickets on my record. My fear with buying something old from the 2000's is that fixing it may become a hassle... but that could be true with any car...

BIG THANKS for all the suggestions folks. I have read each one and will make a decision in the next few days.

Also, cheap cars FTW. No shame in having a $15k budget and getting into a good car at a lower loan.

https://jalopnik.com/new-car-buyers-are-paying-a-record-average-of-551-per-1833124664

Problem is, aside from dealerships that have F&I departments to specifically turn a unit on their lot into a leased/financed vehicle for you, the customer.....you'll need to adhere to most banks capping age to 7-10 years and under 125k miles for financing. Let's just say that your age range is going to be 2009-2013 at the oldest:

Nissan 370Z

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Nissan-370Z/163578693657?hash=item26160cc819:g:5yIAAOSwKhFcbYhD&frcectupt=true

Nissan Frontier/Toyota Tacoma (it bears mentioning that a stick truck can be a very useful yet still engaging DD that could do some tow duty for a fun car)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Frontier-S/173795468686?hash=item287704658e:g:e8wAAOSweedcbzyp

Mustang GT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Mustang-GT/382821968532?hash=item5921f7aa94:g:OGQAAOSwKk5cfhhj

370Z/G37 coupe

Was also thinking this when I mentioned Nissan 370Z

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-INFINITI-G37-Coupe-2dr-Sport/183403766606?hash=item2ab3b7634e:g:stoAAOSwmThcgTQx

I'm also a big fan of the hardtop 'verts...but those are tough to find in a stick.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-G37-Sport-2dr-Convertible/254100334083?hash=item3b298f6603:g:rbYAAOSwKOZcUBpq

"...Loaded with Options in Almost Immaculate Shape – you Wont be Disappointed with this One PRIOR CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED VEHICLE..."

I will be disappointed...WHEN YOU LIST THE FUCKING CAR AS A STICK WHEN IT'S CLEARLY AN AUTOMATIC :no:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/765108839/overview/?aff=atempest&CMP=atempest

Ahh....that's better...:megusta:

370Z/G37 coupe

They still look good and they have all the support in the mod world.

G37... maybe... I personally love the 370z, but the interior is god awful in my opinion. I hate the setup, the instrument cluster design, and the shifter. Now, if all I looked at was the outside of a 370z, then I would be in pure bliss... not so much the inside. :(

There is something that is pulling me to the Mustang though... I really want to know whats wrong with the V6

As a fan of underpowered cars I have no beef with V6s, but V6 Mustangs are generally budget spec, they feel cheap and they're not exactly thrilling in the corners. But that doesn't mean you couldn't find one with a good combination of packages. People rave about the newer 1LE V6 Camaros, some people even go out of their way to get the V6 because it's lighter and makes for a solid track car, but it comes with a lot of good suspension goodies and you can even get a good interior. I'm just not sure if the same holds true in the Mustang world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post

He has an RX-8 right now though. If he wants comfy and roomy, that's a different list of cars in my mind. Even if staying in the V8 world, more comfy and roomy to me would be Challenger, Charger, older Caddy, etc.

It's kinda funny because the RX-8 actually is smaller on the inside then you would think. Ashley and I sometimes fight over the center rest because I have to shift, but her arm is in the way. What I do know is that I want something with more power/torque then what I already have. The 8 is very agile and MX-5 like handling, but I have no problem with trading that for a better engine. V8 or bust seems to be what people are saying about the Mustang... but why? is the V6 really that bad? or will I just get shit from other Mustang fans for "cheeping out"?

As far as roomy goes, you'll have to sit in and drive any cars for yourself to really decide. I'm 6'4" 275 lbs, so what is tight for me or roomy and comfy to me might not be for you. I can tell you that for me a Charger/Challenger are very comfortable and roomy. A mustang less so and a Camaro (especially 6th gen), even less than the Stang. But I also daily drove 3rd gen and 4th gen f-bodies in relative comfort, as well as an S197 Mustang. In my 2015 Z/28, my head on ON the ceiling unless I recline the seat back a bit, it's tight height-wise.

This paragraph is STRICTLY MY OWN OPINION, please treat it as such. I would never buy a pony car with a V6, it's just not the driving experience that I personally want in a car like that. I love V8's, I love the sound of many V8's, I love the feel/experience of many V8's, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the sound and feel of a cammed V8 that shakes the car at idle. That's just the type of experience that I personally want in a car like that. That's part of what excites ME and gives those type of cars their uniqueness and soul that resonates with me and my soul. That said, more pony cars are sold with V6's or even turbo 4's nowadays than V8's, so other people like them. It's all personal preference and personal finances and 100% up to you to decide. You have to find the car that speaks to you and checks off your personal list of priorities, while maintaining your budget. I wouldn't make fun of any V6 pony car owner, but that's just not what I want in my car. And it's not that the V6's are bad, they just don't resonate with me. They may with other drivers. Just FYI, it took me most of last year to research, look around, and finally decide on the car that I thought was right for me, the Z/28. It was not an easy decision.

You are close to me, being in Westerville. You are welcome to come for a ride in either of my cars any time, just PM me.

Edited by BuckeyeROC

The C5 has been mentioned a lot in this thread, and honestly... I love the idea of owning a Vette, but there is no way in hell I could afford the upkeep on that thing to keep it in good shape. Also, Is it true that most vettes look clean on the outside, but when you look under them it can be rust city?

Don't be so precious, it's still a chevy, and you can treat it just like any other chevy. I don't know what this "upkeep" complaint is - just treat it the same as your RX8. tires will be more expensive, maybe brakes, but that's it.

Vettes are fiberglass, so unless it saw only machine car washes and the owner's parked by feel, the outside it always going to look halfway decent. If the car was DD'ed in Ohio during the winter, then yes the metal frames underneath are going to look just like any other metal car from the same year. the difference between a vette and say a jetta is that it is more likely that the vette was parked during the winter and is less likely to be rusty underneath. Make sure you have the car inspected on a lift - this will quell those problems. A DD'ed c5 and a babied one are going to be about roughly the same price, so it pays to spend the time and find a babied one.

Oddly Vette insurance is often cheaper for a lot of people, but again I would price it out before considering.

I know nothing about the Z4... any good? There is something that is pulling me to the Mustang though... I really want to know whats wrong with the V6

Z4 is a good car. I am partial to the 2002-2008 E85/E86 cars, esp the coupes. They use the same naturally aspirated 2.5 and 3.0L inlines as the 3 series cars. they are BMW's so parts are going to be expensive and you are going to want to learn to work on them yourself. that being said I have a close friend who's a bmw tech back in NY and he has told me several times that these cars had the least amount of issues out of their whole line up - likely because they were less complex than other cars in their gen. If you are considering this, look for a 3.0i or 3.0si, I doubt the M roadster/coupe will be in your price range. If it were me I would look for a coupe, but those are unicorn rare in stick.

maybe stay away from the germans though, if you are worried about upkeep on a C5.

Kerry and Greg with the sage advice... I love/hate it when people do this. You are 100% correct that I need something that is reliable..but compromising is so hard. I met someone on CR in the summer time who purchased my Surface and he had a Lincoln MKZ that was fully loaded and I really like it. Some of the lower trim MKZ are within my budget from 2015, so I have been looking at those... but Mustang is high on my priority list unless I discover that is a huge mistake. I'm turning 29 this summer, so I cant imagine that insurance will bend me over that much... I have never been in an accident and have 0 tickets on my record. My fear with buying something old from the 2000's is that fixing it may become a hassle... but that could be true with any car...

Compromise is why cars like the VW GTI, WRX, honda civic si, et al exist.

Do you know why I liked to play with old cars when I was your age and younger? expense. I had a new (for the time) daily driver in my jeep (and blazer, and E34s) and could spend extraneous monies on real 60's musclecars to get that rumbly v8 noise. They were cheap to buy, easy to work on, parts were everywhere (for the most part), I could run classic insurance, and it was fun. Even the years where I was driving my GTO or the motorcycles almost every day, I still knew that if things went pear shaped I could get to work/school/wherever the next day because I had another car.

I kind of see you heading that way, get something that still makes the stuff you want to do accessible but is reliable, like a miata, or a civic si, or a VW gti, or you know what...wasn't rally pat selling a Saabru on the site recently? Is that still for sale? maybe go look at that?

I like this:

https://mansfield.craigslist.org/cto/d/mansfield-2005-subaru-legacy-25-gt-wagon/6812298396.html

A little out of budget but it costs to drive a unicorn:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/d/oxford-bmw-z3-coupe/6813653878.html

not related to this thread...is this Ben's car?

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/westerville-2006-bmw-z4-series-s54/6835467831.html

Edited by Geeto67

No doubt about that regarding comfort, although I would daily any of them if need be. If I'm honest, my old LS1 Trans Am was a better car/daily driver than my S197 Mustang, but I had the 4.6L V8 in the Mustang, not the 5.0L. He has an RX-8 right now though. If he wants comfy and roomy, that's a different list of cars in my mind. Even if staying in the V8 world, more comfy and roomy to me would be Challenger, Charger, older Caddy, etc.

I had a '98 WS6 for five years, and a '13 Mustang for a year. They're about equal in comfort.. but I'd rather have the newer car.

You're youngish still. Get something lightly used that has several years of warranty remaining. Mustang, Camaro, Miata, BRZ...

If you go with a v6/i4 in a modern chassis don't feel bad (but get the track options at the very least or you will be shamed).

Edited by Miller

Kerry is pretty much spot on in regards to the Vette. Most are babied, it’s unlikely to find a rusty one. I’m sure they’re out there but I’m sure they’d be rough in more ways then just that.

Going to reiterate that a BRZ/FRS is probably a fantastic car considering what you have now and have said. I like most on CR love my V8s and wouldn’t buy a V6 or 4 cylinder Camaro or Mustang, however having driven at least the 1LE versions of the Camaro they are fantastic cars. You used to have to have the V8 for the good suspension and parts, and that’s not the case anymore. If the V8 isn’t a top priority for you then you should check them out.

No offense to most of you guys but recommending a car that fits his price range but would bankrupt him at the first service isn't helpful. Get your head out of your ass. Now, if I'm really asking myself "WWID with 15-18k?" I would buy an s197 Mustang TP. They shred, they look good, they're solid daily/weekend warriors. You can also entertain similar year 1le Camaros. They're great cars but not for everybody.

What you should do is try to acquire a car that has some semblance of a warranty but I don't think you would be throwing caution to the wind with a slightly older platform like Aaron suggested.

Don't be dumb HBK. This is a pivotal decision in your life. It will lift you to midpack stardom, reliable daily krew lounge lunches with your friends. Or it will doom you to a rinse and repeat with rx8 grandeur: brokedick-daily life, financial struggles through your remaining 20s, car repairs and paying student loans impoverishment. Miserable mode achieved.

No offense to most of you guys but recommending a car that fits his price range but would bankrupt him at the first service isn't helpful. Get your head out of your ass. Now, if I'm really asking myself "WWID with 15-18k?" I would buy an s197 Mustang TP. They shred, they look good, they're solid daily/weekend warriors. You can also entertain similar year 1le Camaros. They're great cars but not for everybody.

What you should do is try to acquire a car that has some semblance of a warranty but I don't think you would be throwing caution to the wind with a slightly older platform like Aaron suggested.

Don't be dumb HBK. This is a pivotal decision in your life. It will lift you to midpack stardom, reliable daily krew lounge lunches with your friends. Or it will doom you to a rinse and repeat with rx8 grandeur: brokedick-daily life, financial struggles through your remaining 20s, car repairs and paying student loans impoverishment. Miserable mode achieved.

Cliff notes, this thread was over after the second reply.

I would not daily my BRZ... I love the car but I would not have it if I needed it to be my only car. But on that note, I wouldn't daily most of these other suggestions either..

You're a flappy vagina, an old one at that.