Any audio nerds here, what's your setup?

Trouble Maker

At work I have Audio Technica ATH-M50x being driven by a Schiit Modi and Vali.

For home I have some KEF LS50Ws. Recently I was also lucky enough to get in with the latest round of the Zu Omen Dirty Weekend. They just came last week. I'm driving them with a NAD C338 for now. I'm listening to both of them with their built in streaming via Spotify. Long term I'm looking at some of the lower powered single ended amps for the Zus, and also some turntable.

So, what do you have? What do you like it dislike about them?

My brother had some ATH-M50 driven by a FIIO amp. I really liked them.

I have Focal Aria 906 speakers driven by a Marantz SR6012. Wanting to add dual subwoofers but share a wall with my tenant. Dual SVS SB4000 or JL F112 Fathoms are on my list.

Hanson audio in cinci is the bees knees.

I'm just getting into the home theatre scene. I've got a lower mid level setup with the intention of upgrading piece by piece over time.

I'm currently running an Epson 1080p (output, be careful shopping for these) projector on a 120" high def screen. Everything runs through a Denon 940h receiver with a 7.2.2 Dolby Atmos setup.

The current speaker package is an Onkyo 7.1 system that I added Klipsch Atmos in-ceiling speakers and a martin Logan Dynamo 600x for 7.2.2

My current biggest regret is not getting a receiver that pushed more channels. I'd like 9.2.2 or 11.2.2.

Center and front channels are next for upgrade.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sony Z1Rs with a Bravo Audio Ocean amp(Genalex Gold Lion tube) and HiFiMe USB DAC.

I obviously need to upgrade my downstream equipment, will eventually upgrade to balanced XLR tube amp.

I'm cheap and handy so I've pieced together a bunch of stuff and built enclosures and modded others to make a pretty nice sounding TV experience. To Goodwill and restores have been a great place to find equipment. I modded some receivers to act as preamps to power old center and sub woofers that lost their built in preamps with my main receiver being a sony I picked up on sale somewhere.

Our TV room is kind small and the wife hates electronics and would rather have pretty things sitting everywhere so I've only been able to set up a 3.2 system.

I'm cheap and handy so I've...

Hey, run what you've brung right. Glad you are having fun with it. :)

On the big rig got a couple of spinners and a Rouge tube amp.

I wouldn't mind hearing those Zu,s

Which rouge amp do you have? Outside of some low power SE(T) I was looking at the Sphinx.

What turn tables do you have, how do you like them?

You should stop over sometime and check them out! It's been a while since we've seen each other anyways. :)

I have Focal Aria 906 speakers driven by a Marantz SR6012. Wanting to add dual subwoofers but share a wall with my tenant. Dual SVS SB4000 or JL F112 Fathoms are on my list.

Hanson audio in cinci is the bees knees.

Those speakers look interesting, especially the cone material.

Are you running stereo only from that receiver or also full HT? I've been struggling with either keeping everything separate or somehow integrate. I've previously had a full HT setup with mid level stuff. I've now got one of the Vizio 5.1 (with true separate sub & rear surround) hooked up to the TV, and just have the 2 channel completely separate. This is actually serving well, especially since I don't watch movies as much as I used to.

Does that seems like... too much sub for that setup, especially sharing a wall with someone? Did you look at the stuff from Rythmik at all? I was thinking about a sub for the KEF's and had it somewhat narrowed down to one of theirs. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

I'm just getting into the home theatre scene... for 7.2.2

My current biggest regret is not getting a receiver that pushed more channels. I'd like 9.2.2 or 11.2.2.

Going full bore, I like it! How do you like Atmos? Especially since you went directly from non-Atmos and added the speakers I'm interested if you noticed a big difference?

I currently have a Schiit Magni3 and Modi3 running sennheiser hd 6xx. I came from Audio Technica ATHM50 with velour ear cups.

I got the same ear cups on your recommendation and like them. I think the only thing I might do is get the ones that are canted to play around with that, see if it can pull the sound-stage a little out of my head and in front of me at all. How do you like the Sennheiser's compared to the ATs?

Maybe you guys can help me. I'm in the market for some wireless headphones I can hook up to a TV. Wife always complains I watch things too loud at night (bad hearing genes I suppose). What would you all recommend that are reasonably priced?

Maybe you guys can help me. I'm in the market for some wireless headphones I can hook up to a TV. Wife always complains I watch things too loud at night (bad hearing genes I suppose). What would you all recommend that are reasonably priced?

Sony MDRXB950BT

Which rouge amp do you have? Outside of some low power SE(T) I was looking at the Sphinx.

What turn tables do you have, how do you like them?

You should stop over sometime and check them out! It's been a while since we've seen each other anyways. :)

Yes absolutely that would be great.

The Sphinx is a great amp,I got a Rouge Cronus Magnum a few years back,turntable is a Linn Lp12 with a nice arm and cart,my gateway was a older Pioneer pl table that I bought on impulse and then it went from there.

Funny thing is I don't listen to them much! as hi res music files/dacs/direct to consumer model become better for $$ it kinda renders the the tables less likely to be played, but there is something about it that still draws you in.

Edited by carl

We have a TCL TV w/ built in roku and it has a headphone jack on the bottom of it. I think it automatically mutes the TV when something is plugged in. IDK if it works with all TV functions/inputs, or just the Roku apps, as we've not used it. I'm also not sure if any of the standalone Roku support that. But, seems like it could be worth looking into.

Edited by Trouble Maker

Sony MDRXB950BT

Those look pretty nice and it would match my TV. :lol: I'll have to see if it can come with a receiver of some sort.

We have a TCL TV w/ built in roku and it has a headphone jack on the bottom of it. I think it automatically mutes the TV when something is plugged in. IDK if it works with all TV functions/inputs, or just the Roku apps, as we've not used it. I'm also not sure if any of the standalone Roku support that. But, seems like it could be worth looking into.

I don't have any audio jacks and it's not Bluetooth-equipped either. I have a sound bar with Bluetooth, but I don't think it'll do it the way I need it to.

I got the same ear cups on your recommendation and like them. I think the only thing I might do is get the ones that are canted to play around with that, see if it can pull the sound-stage a little out of my head and in front of me at all. How do you like the Sennheiser's compared to the ATs?

They are similar but they go from closed back to an open back so they are IMO less muddy sounding and more crisp. They do have less bass however but the mids are greatly improved. I originally liked the M50 better but after having the 6XX for a while now I dont think I can go back.

They are similar but they go from closed back to an open back so they are IMO less muddy sounding and more crisp. They do have less bass however but the mids are greatly improved. I originally liked the M50 better but after having the 6XX for a while now I dont think I can go back.

Ah, I'm using mine in a low wall cube farm so open back is no go. I personally prefer speakers as I don't really like the 'in the head' feel of headphones... maybe open back are less so like this? So, generally I'm only using headphones when I'm in public spaces and speakers at home.

• 5 months later...

I've owned some pretty nice headphone gear over the years and have had some sort of amp / dac on my desk for years for when i'm in the office...but I"m either getting old and lazy or tech is getting better.

I'm currently using SONY WH-1000XM3 for pretty much everything. I would have cringed 3-5 years ago if you told me I'd own wireless headphones.

They're the best wireless headphones I've ever heard thanks to internal converter and amp, the noise canceling feature is handy now that I'm on planes as much as I am for work, corded on an amp at my desk they are very good...you could nit pick that they aren't as good as I've ever heard but they're pretty darn close to just about any closed back headphone I've ever owned.

I tried some Open back stuff...they are amazing but have almost zero practical use for what I'm doing.

I'm currently using SONY WH-1000XM3 for pretty much everything.

Glad to hear you like them so well, they are on my wish list. I went through a similar crisis of conscious when I got the Bose QC25s. But, the noise cancelation just works so well, especially on airplanes, that I haven't looked back. Everything I've read about those SONYs is that someone finally got on the same plane as Bose in NC area, but with even better SQ. Before it was a trade-off; you could get better SQ, but at significant sacrifice of NC. I Want wireless, especially now that my phone only has USB-C port and no headphone jack. I Want those SONYs. I just can't seem to justify it since the QC25s are still more than alive and kicking.

I tried some Open back stuff...they are amazing but have almost zero practical use for what I'm doing.

Sounds like the same as what I was saying above, just more eloquently written. I'd love to try some high end open backs, but I don't think they hold a practical place for me. Maybe I would try them and be blown away, especially at the value proposition?

This just popped up for sale today for $74. is this a good deal?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KWJ9QMN/

This guy doesn't usually have a ton of positive things to say about Schiit products, but seems to like this one.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-a30-and-schiit-magni-3-headphone-amps.4024/

His reference (iDSD Black) at the end that he says is better than these, is an amp+dac, but it's $600. So, it seems like to get to the next level you have to spend about 2-3x as much.

Also, the Magni 3 is $99 directly from Schiits site, without shipping included, but I can't imagine shipping being $20. It's even $79 from their b-stock without shipping, but currently not in stock. At $75 new, it seems like a good deal!