Need Tire Recommendations - 14 Mustang GT

Fiji ST

My dad is need of some new tires for his Mustang and would like some recommendations while doing my research. He has Pirelli PZero Nero A/S 235/50-18 on there now (OEM tires). He had no problems with them, but I'm sure theres a better tire.

He doesn't need a drag tire or anything super aggressive. Not a track car, just summer/road trip mostly. Summer only are fine, would probably lean toward another HP A/S if it's better.

So far, I'm thinking some of these: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS+06&partnum=35WR8DWS06&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2014&autoModel=Mustang+GT+Coupe&autoModClar=Standard+Brakes

i don't like the DWS on anything over 3500 pounds(where the mustang fits in) the sidewalls will feel like jello compared to the stock pirellis.

My pref....

1. Pilot sport as3+

2. Nitto Motivo

3. BFG comp2 AS

4. DWS06

Don't listen to this guy. He just plays with meat for a living.

But for real, he did sling meats before slinging meat so I'd look into these. Derek never led me astray with my tires.

Assuming one isn't focusing on maximum dry performance, is there any benefit of going with a high performance all season VS summer tire if it will be used in the summer only? For example, quieter, last longer, cheaper. I would assume the all/season would just be a little more compromised on dry/wet than a summer only tire, all other things being equal.

I'm just a little surprised about all of the all season suggestions, if they will never drive it in the cold/snow.

Derek, how does that list look for a lighter car? e.g. sub 3,000 lbs.

For summer only?

I had those Pirellis on my Mustang and my fucking god those tires suck for any spirited driving. Probably mostly because Fordlol gave a ~430 horsepower car the same skinny 235mm-wide tires as any given boring sedan on the road.

BFG G-Comp 2 A/S

I'm on my 3rd set of them and I've always been so happy I don't want to risk trying anything else.

I had these on my Camaro and they're great sporty/all-season tires (if that's a thing). They grip just enough for slight shenanigans, but mine were 285mm wide. I don't recommend autocrossing with them though.. they're far from awesome in that environment. If he's not doing any kind of track shit I'd definitely check these out. However, nothing beats a good set of 100TW Summer tires, unless he's worried about getting more than 1-2 seasons out of them.

i don't like the DWS on anything over 3500 pounds(where the mustang fits in) the sidewalls will feel like jello compared to the stock pirellis.

My pref....

1. Pilot sport as3+

2. Nitto Motivo

3. BFG comp2 AS

4. DWS06

I was hoping you'd respond. Thanks for the suggestions.

Assuming one isn't focusing on maximum dry performance, is there any benefit of going with a high performance all season VS summer tire if it will be used in the summer only? For example, quieter, last longer, cheaper. I would assume the all/season would just be a little more compromised on dry/wet than a summer only tire, all other things being equal.

I'm just a little surprised about all of the all season suggestions, if they will never drive it in the cold/snow.

I had those Pirellis on my Mustang and my fucking god those tires suck for any spirited driving. Probably mostly because Fordlol gave a ~430 horsepower car the same skinny 235mm-wide tires as any given boring sedan on the road.

I had these on my Camaro and they're great sporty/all-season tires (if that's a thing). They grip just enough for slight shenanigans, but mine were 285mm wide. I don't recommend autocrossing with them though.. they're far from awesome in that environment. If he's not doing any kind of track shit I'd definitely check these out. However, nothing beats a good set of 100TW Summer tires, unless he's worried about getting more than 1-2 seasons out of them.

This is his "mid-life crisis" car, so he putters around in it when he can get the key away from his wife. It definitely won't see anything more than a windy road. Also, the past few years, they seem to be away from home in it when a snowstorm happens, hence the preference towards an A/S.

Derek, how does that list look for a lighter car? e.g. sub 3,000 lbs.

For summer only?

summer only?

1. pilot sport 4s (on our 16 GT 275-40-19 square... expensive but awesome)

2. firestone indy 500(had these on my contour svt and fkn loved them for the price)

3. Conti extreme contact (may do a couple things better than the firestones above, but will cost 50% more)

4. bfg comp2

5. nitto 555 g2

BFG G-Comp 2 A/S

I'm on my 3rd set of them and I've always been so happy I don't want to risk trying anything else.

I have these on the factory wheels for my Mustang. They have done great including coming down the mountain at Snowshoe in an early fall snow storm.

20181013-065951.jpg

Another vote for the Firestone firehawk Indy 500. Have them on my ‘16 mustang gt and have zero complaints. I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better value for the money.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/ratings-review.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&fromTireDetail=true

I’m a recent convert to Michelin. Put Pilot Sport 4S on the Bullitt (only driven in the summer), and Pilot Sport AS3+ on the Cooper S (driven year-round) this year. Really top-notch performance all around from both.

Apply for a discount tire credit card, and wait until a good rebate hits. Good deals can be had. And their credit card is 6 months interest free. Really cuts down on the sticker shock.

Another vote for the Firestone firehawk Indy 500. Have them on my ‘16 mustang gt and have zero complaints. I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better value for the money.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/ratings-review.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&fromTireDetail=true

Big Aaron was ripping his gt around autox on those tires and was rather happy with them.

My pref....

1. Pilot sport as3+

2. Nitto Motivo

3. BFG comp2 AS

4. DWS06

I really like my Pilot Sport AS3+