What Questions Do You Have Regarding Motorcycle Laws and Regulations?

Artmageddon

Great idea, but what you forget is that different cities have different laws.

For instance in Beavercreek, they have a noise ordinance, but the other cities around that area don't. If everything were the same through all departments, then they wouldn't have city ordinances.

Mostly dealing with state laws, that's why I'm using troopers for most of the info.

Folks can deal with their own city crap. :D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your experience as a LEO before answering all the questions.. ??

Artmageddon is not answering the questions. He is using a State trooper to gather information. Then going to write an essay of sorts. What he says probably wouldn't hold up in a court of law, but it will give us a more clearly defined answer on some of the uncertainties of the law.

If you would have read his original post you would see this, "I like to know actual facts when it comes to my rights. Therefore, I am going to try to put together a question and answer article about laws and regulations. My plan is to have a state trooper, a small town policeman and a lawyer that handles motorcycle cases answer our questions with what the law is, and their interpretation of it."

So next time read before asking questions.

DangBruhy is an officer somewhere. We don't like to listen to him though :p

j/k man!

Open Carry

Ohio’s concealed carry laws do not regulate “open” carry of firearms.

If you openly carry, use caution. The open carry of firearms is a legal

activity in Ohio.

You are correct about the same rules applying to a motorcycle as in a car for concealed carry. In Ohio, "open" carry while in/on a motor vehicle is automatically considered concealed. So if you do not have an Ohio concealed handgun license (CHL), you must carry your firearms cased and unloaded to be legal. It seems weird that a gun in a plainly visible holster while on a bike could be considered concealed, but I can assure you that you will be in for trouble if you try that and don't have your CHL.

• 2 months later...

Hey.... So just wondering what's going on with these questions?!

I'm really anxious to find out what is said in regards to accent lighting b/c that is the most immediate change I'm thinking about making right now.

Any progress on getting this stuff answered?!

I will attempt to get these questions answered.

A guy I coached Jr.'s flag football team with is OSHP, I'm sure he'd give his/the State's views.

The Genoa Township Police station is just up the road from me - never much going on around here (thankfully) so I'm guessing that someone there would give the "local LEO" view.

As far as finding an atorney that represents motorcyclists, there has to be someone on this board that's an attorney. If they don't handle traffic cases directly, they've gotta know someone. I know a couple of "mouthpieces", I will query them to find someone to answer our questions.

Give me a couple of days - should have something toward the end of the coming week.

very interested in hearing the answer to lane splitting, there is no rule against it, but several weird rules that talk about it.

I spoke with the local police chief on this, and said that even though it's not explicity against the law, there are many other laws that apply, that make it illegal, such as the "lanes and lines" rules.

Looking back over most of the questions here, the biggest factor is going to be the rider, their attitude, and how they're riding.

License plate lighting for example. Say 2 bikes have no license plate illumination. One is revving the engine, making himself known, the other just being calm and cool. The guy making a scene has given LEO a reason to watch him, and the license plate illumination (lack of) gives the LEO reason to stop the rider. Same for face shield being open. With the shield open, you have no eye protectionand CAN be cited for it, but if you're moving at a low speed, and not seeking attention, you'll probably not have anything to worry about.

This is sort of like my thoughts on ATGATT. It's more about the attitude of someone going through the process of putting oon all the right gear, than the actual wearing of the gear.

I think you can probably get away with MUCH more stuff, such as plate illumination, novice riders being out when and where they shouldn't, etc... IF you're riding respectfully, and not trying to draw attention to yourself.

I will attempt to get these questions answered.

A guy I coached Jr.'s flag football team with is OSHP, I'm sure he'd give his/the State's views.

The Genoa Township Police station is just up the road from me - never much going on around here (thankfully) so I'm guessing that someone there would give the "local LEO" view.

As far as finding an atorney that represents motorcyclists, there has to be someone on this board that's an attorney. If they don't handle traffic cases directly, they've gotta know someone. I know a couple of "mouthpieces", I will query them to find someone to answer our questions.

Give me a couple of days - should have something toward the end of the coming week.

Greatly appreciated. I just ordered a set of Dragon Lights for the bars this morning, but, I'm still slightly hesitant for the rest of the accent lighting.

I would be interested in Ohio law on a non triggered red light I have read on other forums, of other states laws allowing motorcycles to go through a red light or turn left on red ( with caution and clear distance ) if a signal does not respond after a certain time or # of cycles.

I would be interested in Ohio law on a non triggered red light I have read on other forums, of other states laws allowing motorcycles to go through a red light or turn left on red ( with caution and clear distance ) if a signal does not respond after a certain time or # of cycles.

C-Bus example: Eastbound Shrock Rd. to Northbound Cleveland Ave. I can sit there in the 6,000 pound truck for 2 or 3 cycles waiting for the left-turn signal. Since it's right near I-270 and on the Columbus-Westerville border, there are 3 jurisdictions I need to look for before saying "fug it" and just going. PITA.:mad:

I fail. That has been my motto lately.

My life is a mess right now(ask Jagr, I bail on him constantly).

I got super busy with work and school, getting a divorce, and other crap, just kinda put this aside and forgot.

I have ADD too, if I don't take care of stuff right away, I just forget. :)

My contact with the State Troopers was a friend of my ex's, but I think I can still get in touch with him. I'll try to get back on this.

I'm not sure that is true. See my previous post on that.

Quoting the law itself seems like it is legal under certain circumstances.

Your scenario would be one of them, I think.

Also ORC 4511.70 prohibits people from opening doors to stop you from passing them.

I've asked for clarification on the lane splitting issue. As I read the laws I think it is legal, in certain situations. Being a squid at 80mph on 270 isn't one of them.

Course there could be a law I am un-aware of too. :mad:

You have to go 80 on 270 just to keep from getting run over by the squids in cages.

I fail. That has been my motto lately.

My life is a mess right now(ask Jagr, I bail on him constantly).

I got super busy with work and school, getting a divorce, and other crap, just kinda put this aside and forgot.

I have ADD too, if I don't take care of stuff right away, I just forget. :)

My contact with the State Troopers was a friend of my ex's, but I think I can still get in touch with him. I'll try to get back on this.

Haha. Its alright man! (Hope everything starts to pan out a little better)

As for the ADD.... you're talkin' to a 72mg Concerta daily ADHDer. :D So I can appreciate and completely excuse that!

Whenever you can get clarification on our long list it will be greatly appreciated!

Haha. Its alright man! (Hope everything starts to pan out a little better)

As for the ADD.... you're talkin' to a 72mg Concerta daily ADHDer. :D So I can appreciate and completely excuse that!

Whenever you can get clarification on our long list it will be greatly appreciated!

Vyvanse for the win. :)

• 3 weeks later...