Socially Awkward Engineers on Motorcycles

EvilTwin

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, apocalyptic survival = fast horse and good rifle

aaah but that book would be useful in order to build shelters and traps and such...in case the apocalypse becomes a zombie apocalypse

and shotgun instead of a rifle...

aaah but that book would be useful in order to build shelters and traps and such...in case the apocalypse becomes a zombie apocalypse

and shotgun instead of a rifle...

Shotguns aren't the best choice b/c then you have to wait till they are right in front of you, instead of just putting a 306 round through their skull at 300yds.

Shotguns aren't the best choice b/c then you have to wait till they are right in front of you, instead of just putting a 306 round through their skull at 300yds.

but you can take out like 10 if they're all in front of you

i mean best case is to get to a military base and use their weapons...

like nuke the world or sumthing :p

but you can take out like 10 if they're all in front of you

i mean best case is to get to a military base and use their weapons...

like nuke the world or sumthing :p

If you have a motorcycle ride away and choose the time and place to engage the enemy. I'd choose an SKS personally, easy to repair, clean and fairly accurate. Plus ammo for them is abundant.

actually now that i think about it...we could probably get all the members of this forum to get together and live in someone's basement...a lot of you have guns and all of us have bikes...there's a few women around too...we could even repopulate the world!!

actually now that i think about it...we could probably get all the members of this forum to get together and live in someone's basement...a lot of you have guns and all of us have bikes...there's a few women around too...we could even repopulate the world!!

Baaaaad idea. :eek:

"Us"?? like ALL y'all at once...? Uhm.. can we pace ourselves a little:p there's only so much World of Warcraft a girl can handle in all one onslaught.

No wonder you've never dated an Engineer, you just assume we all play WOW. I don't play WOW, or any other online RPG, or really many video games at all. And I didn't mean all of us of course; I was more asking if you were open to dating engineers, since some girls can't stand to hold intellectual conversations about exactly why it is that you have to counter steer if you take a turn at a speed grater than 20mph.

No wonder you've never dated an Engineer, you just assume we all play WOW. I don't play WOW, or any other online RPG, or really many video games at all. And I didn't mean all of us of course; I was more asking if you were open to dating engineers, since some girls can't stand to hold intellectual conversations about exactly why it is that you have to counter steer if you take a turn at a speed grater than 20mph.

Why DO we have to counter steer?

I've never bothered to look up the scientific explanation...all I've known is that I have to....

+1 No WOW, ever.

XBox and PS3 for Gran Turismo here and there but not normally.

Why DO we have to counter steer?

I've never bothered to look up the scientific explanation...all I've known is that I have to....

When turning left at high speeds your momentum is to the right (well really your mass wants to continue straight, but it feels like to the right), so if you turned your front wheel to the left, the bike would simply flip over. The lean is what turns the bike and by counter steering you allow the bike to lean more. That's why you can bring your bike out of a lean by simply straightening the bars. Furthermore, by getting your ass off the seat and hanging off into the turn you're lowering the center of gravity and allowing the bike to carry a greater speed at the same angle as if you were not hanging off the seat.

No wonder you've never dated an Engineer, you just assume we all play WOW.

You assume a lot, my friend:p

I was more asking if you were open to dating engineers, since some girls can't stand to hold intellectual conversations about exactly why it is that you have to counter steer if you take a turn at a speed grater than 20mph.

shouldn't you be counter steering in all turns, regardless of speed? Since a motorcycle has 3 gyroscopic forces moving in line that make the bike want to stay upright, which are the front and rear wheels and the engine's crankshaft, yes? They are all moving in a forward motion. To smoothly negotiate a turn, You need to interrupt that forward motion by inputting the bars. To follow throw with the turn you must apply throttle, because Throttle input controls where the bike goes when it is leaned over. Failing to apply the proper inputs of motion and force will need to an unsuccessful turn, won't it? Ionno.:p

You assume a lot, my friend:p

shouldn't you be counter steering in all turns, regardless of speed?...

I do assume a lot, it's a fault of mine. And you can't counter steer if your not going fast enough. There is a point where you can be turning as tight as you bike can turn and going so slowly that your bike would simply fall over in the direction you're turning if you tried to lean and counter steer. You need enough momentum to actually hold your bike up during the turn, which is why on a lot of low speed turns, like making a left through an intersection in traffic, you don't counter steer you actually steer into the turn.

I just realized that I need to clarify a point. I was talking about counter steering through a turn not to initiate a turn. Counter steering is most always necessary to initiate a turn, in order to get the bike to lean left you need the wheels to momentarily move to the right, so you steer right. Once the lean is initiated however, if you're forward speed is not great enough you will have to steer into the turn, instead of out of the turn.

ummm, actually all turns are initiated by a counter-steer. Except maybe those wobble turns at low speed, like barely moving. On some bikes the counter-steer is so brief, it's just not visible or recognizable. If you don't believe in counter-steer, try turning with one hand, and see whether you pull or push to turn. The main reason is that the counter-steer can be initiated with a shift in body weight. Although there are studies done that dispute the use of body mass to do anything much at all in turning. Those studies took the clip-ons off and mounted them to the frame. Most riders could not turn without extreme effort. And the turns were shallow and difficult with body mass only.

I disagree with some of that study, it seems to me that riding with no hands, and steering with body mass only, pretty much makes a solid point for the case. Best done on a bicycle, which weighs a lot less.

Recon - Let's start an airplane junkie thread... then I can talk the talk. :cool:

I got an "engineering degree", but it had to do with airplanes or something ;)... nothing to do with CSE or whatever you guys are talking about.

Java (and Pascal)?! uuuuuuugh... that almost kept me in college another year!!! I don't know how you guys do it.. really. :eek: