GI: Ashtabula Covered Bridge Ride?

armith

Good link Kosmo!

I went 2 years ago with the vtwin cruisers. It was cold and rainy but a nice ride. The gravel roads we were on were not that bad. If the Harley guys can ride in the rain on a dirt road you should be able to also. I wanted to go last year but skipped out the day of. Parade pace kills me. Doesn't have to be fast just not 10 mph under the speed limit.

Anyways if all works out I will be there for this ride.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good link Kosmo!

I went 2 years ago with the vtwin cruisers. It was cold and rainy but a nice ride. The gravel roads we were on were not that bad. If the Harley guys can ride in the rain on a dirt road you should be able to also. I wanted to go last year but skipped out the day of. Parade pace kills me. Doesn't have to be fast just not 10 mph under the speed limit.

Anyways if all works out I will be there for this ride.

Truth, crazy slow is retarded, but see below

relaxed pace.. for me = posted (or reasonable) speeds.. These roads don't really lend themselves to hooliganism anyway. Rebel 250 or ZX14, we'll all get there together.

Perfect explanation. You all know how it works, even taking rider skill out of the equation, 25 mph can be too slow and too fast, it depends on conditions and other things.

We'll be fine, I think there is a perception that everyone wants to go 80 ALL THE TIME.... while every one of us is guilty of speeding, we all are just as guilty of going 15 in a 25 because of traffic, road conditions, rider condition and various other variables.

If I ride 2 up for the bridge tour, my 850 only gets about 100 miles per tankful. Does the planned route factor in access to gas stations? If I ride single, then my 1990 Katana gets about 120 miles per tankful.......so no real savings there. I think I will take the 1982 GS 850 regardless......I am located in Bedford, near Cleveland Akron Honda, as a point of reference

If I ride 2 up for the bridge tour, my 850 only gets about 100 miles per tankful. Does the planned route factor in access to gas stations? If I ride single, then my 1990 Katana gets about 120 miles per tankful.......so no real savings there. I think I will take the 1982 GS 850 regardless......I am located in Bedford, near Cleveland Akron Honda, as a point of reference

I'm sure it will, I've got the same range. Once we establish a meeting point in Ashtabula those of us close together can figure out if we want a pre-meeting-meeting place :)

So should we plan a southern meeting point and time, and then a time to meet up north, closer to Ashtabula? some place in Mentor or off 528?

Probably best to let the Central folks figure out their times and meeting spots (and best route to our Ashtabula meeting spot), but we need an Ashtabula meeting spot and time :) We can wait on Armith's comment on that.

As for us up North, we could certainly set up a spot that everyone is going to cross and meet up there, that'll most likely be in or around Euclid.

When I last plotted all 17 bridges it came out to 110 miles total.. but that was with shortest distance planning.. I figure we may get maybe 8 bridges in.. I don't suspect it'll be more than 60-70 miles.. But I wanted to plan a drink & wee break midway thru.

I think the Sheetz station at the US 20 exit on Rt. 11 would be a good spot.. Say around 10am?

I am holding out to till the TWC 10 day forecast comes out.. I'll then put together a draft route.. Expect route info this weekend.

I'll modify the original post soon with details.. I've figured out the start and the end of the trip.. still working out which bridges to hit.. I'd like to hit a combo of the really nice ones but get some of the more rustic bridges too.

When I last plotted all 17 bridges it came out to 110 miles total.. but that was with shortest distance planning.. I figure we may get maybe 8 bridges in.. I don't suspect it'll be more than 60-70 miles.. But I wanted to plan a drink & wee break midway thru.

I think the Sheetz station at the US 20 exit on Rt. 11 would be a good spot.. Say around 10am?

I am holding out to till the TWC 10 day forecast comes out.. I'll then put together a draft route.. Expect route info this weekend.

I'll modify the original post soon with details.. I've figured out the start and the end of the trip.. still working out which bridges to hit.. I'd like to hit a combo of the really nice ones but get some of the more rustic bridges too.

Sounds like a good plan. For me the less crazy gravel and dirt roads to deal with the better but I'll just take it easy on whatever ones have to be hit

I'll try to keep all the details on the original post so that we don't have to read thru pages and pages of stuff..

I was shooting for 10am at Sheetz.. be on the road by 11. Gives use an hour to let the fashionably late arrive (like me), get gas, snacks, water, bathroom, and a quick rider's meeting.

I am definately going to have to scout the roads out now.. If we go no dirt roads tour it'll be a pretty short ride..lol I know of like 4 bridges that are on or near paved roads for sure.. Stay tuned for updates this weekend.. Besides still holding out to see what the 10 day forecast has for us.

I'll try to keep all the details on the original post so that we don't have to read thru pages and pages of stuff..

I was shooting for 10am at Sheetz.. be on the road by 11. Gives use an hour to let the fashionably late arrive (like me), get gas, snacks, water, bathroom, and a quick rider's meeting.

I am definately going to have to scout the roads out now.. If we go no dirt roads tour it'll be a pretty short ride..lol I know of like 4 bridges that are on or near paved roads for sure.. Stay tuned for updates this weekend.. Besides still holding out to see what the 10 day forecast has for us.

Thanks for setting up this ride brother! I really appreciate it, and I look forward to a nice cruiser with the club one last time before we likely lock up for the season.

My pleasure.. Who knows maybe this could become an annual thing... Maybe next year organize a 2 day event to hit all the bridges and have a hell of party/BBQ.

HMM.. maybe we could have one this year.. ride/party/go home in the morning.. Eh might be pushing it.

I'd say let's shoot for single day, end with pizza and we all ride home with a bunch of pictures and our ladies saying "I gotta pee" for the rest of the way

It'll be a great fall ride.

Sat, Oct 3

75°F / 51°F Warm with periods of sun

Edited by Likwid