GI: Ashtabula Covered Bridge Ride?

armith

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I've pulled Middle Rd Bridge and Caine Rd. Bridge from the list.. simply put, dirt roads probably not suited for a group ride.

2. Olin Rd bridge is closed to traffic for repairs.. They claim it will be reopened for the festival so there is the possibility it will be open by saturday even. Its small dirt road to get to it.. It's a cool little bridge and we'd probably be able to walk out on it.. There's a place to turn around.. So if you don't mind a little dirt and bumps for a few hundred yards we can check it out.. Otherwise we can skip it and go on..

3.Benetka was a mile or so of dirt road riding.. Decent pack, not too loose.. IMO a very picturesque bridge over creek scene.. The kind you see in paintings and stuff. Should be even better in autumn color. Once I crossed the bridge it was paved.. So my goal is to figure out how to come in from the paved side so the only dirt to worry about is after you cross over the bridge.. There is a small turnaround area. Does this sound ok?

4. Added Graham Rd to the route since it's just up from Caine Rd.. It's not an active bridge but it's old rustic and could provide a nice photo op since there is a parking spot next to the bridge. Oh and it's paved..

So Olin Bridge Yes or No?? Benetka Bridge little dirt ok? Yes or No??

Gotta work out the last of the route details and then I'll post up the info.. Still looks like were on for 11 bridges. Now the new challenge is planning out the logistics of moving a group of this size.

Is there anyone here that is not experienced in riding in a group??

1. I've pulled Middle Rd Bridge and Caine Rd. Bridge from the list.. simply put, dirt roads probably not suited for a group ride.

2. Olin Rd bridge is closed to traffic for repairs.. They claim it will be reopened for the festival so there is the possibility it will be open by saturday even. Its small dirt road to get to it.. It's a cool little bridge and we'd probably be able to walk out on it.. There's a place to turn around.. So if you don't mind a little dirt and bumps for a few hundred yards we can check it out.. Otherwise we can skip it and go on..

3.Benetka was a mile or so of dirt road riding.. Decent pack, not too loose.. IMO a very picturesque bridge over creek scene.. The kind you see in paintings and stuff. Should be even better in autumn color. Once I crossed the bridge it was paved.. So my goal is to figure out how to come in from the paved side so the only dirt to worry about is after you cross over the bridge.. There is a small turnaround area. Does this sound ok?

4. Added Graham Rd to the route since it's just up from Caine Rd.. It's not an active bridge but it's old rustic and could provide a nice photo op since there is a parking spot next to the bridge. Oh and it's paved..

So Olin Bridge Yes or No?? Benetka Bridge little dirt ok? Yes or No??

Gotta work out the last of the route details and then I'll post up the info.. Still looks like were on for 11 bridges. Now the new challenge is planning out the logistics of moving a group of this size.

Is there anyone here that is not experienced in riding in a group??

I'd say yes and yes to the 2 bridges, dirt's no biggie.

I think almost all of us have ridden in group rides before, but riding with the ladies on the back makes us all beginners again :)

JRM I can give you a hand, riding <10 on a sportbike is a lot like riding >75 on a cruiser :-D

I'd say yes and yes to the 2 bridges, dirt's no biggie

I agree. I am more than likely the rookie of the group so I figure if I can handle these the way he described then I would think most everyone should be ok

I'm not too worried either.. I'll admit this is my first group ride to lead. But since it'll be an easy pace I think we'll be ok.. We'll have a riders meeting before we head out.. There's a few things I'll cover before we head out.. Quick refresher on hand signals as well as some planning for safely moving the group from point to point, turning around..

Any volunteers for riding sweeper.. Looking for someone who I collaborate a couple traffic control points..

I know it probably won't help any.. I'm leaving from Youngstown by around 8:30am so anyone who wants to meet up off I-80 let me know.. We can slab on up Rt 11 to the starting point from there.. It's almost an hour trip exactly from there..

Leaving from Westerville you'll probably be quicker to go up I71 to I90.

Ok cool thanks I would love to do this ride just have to make sure I'm not too tired from work....24 hour shifts can get to ya by the end of the week and that day looks like I'd be riding about 12-14 hours give or take! If I don't get too I'll be looking forward to all the pictures!

Ok cool thanks I would love to do this ride just have to make sure I'm not too tired from work....24 hour shifts can get to ya by the end of the week and that day looks like I'd be riding about 12-14 hours give or take! If I don't get too I'll be looking forward to all the pictures!

I'd offer to let you crash up here for a night but we don't have a spare bed... just the couches.. we do have 3 full size couches and 2 love seats