Random Thoughts thread

SAMBUSA

anyone heard from RedBarron?

just got back from a 2+ week trip visiting my daughter in Bellingham, WA.  Drove the RV from College Station, TX, to LA, then up the coast.  Hit one mountain pass that was snowed/iced in and had to have tire chains, but no big deal there.  We came back via old 101 down the coast to Pismo Beach(I always wondered why Bugs kept wanting to get there, and now I know), then hit Tombstone (so my wife could see where I spent my teenage years) and got home this past Saturday.

Once I get through my 600+ work emails, and getting 3 different University systems' software upgraded for the new tax year, I should be able to get back to the important stuff...Pr0n and funny pics!  :D

I plan on throwing up some of the pics I took, but the damn job keeps getting in the way!

• Upvote 1

Craigslist needs a check box to eliminate all the Harleys from the motorcycle section. Can't find anything good when it is buried under all that junk.

The problem here is 90% of those Harleys will still be up and running long after your bikes are dead and buried

The problem here is 90% of those Harleys will still be up and running long after your bikes are dead and buried

Because 90% either don't get ridden or only do 10 mile round trips to the bar on the weekends.

Most dont ride thiers like you do Rick.

• Upvote 4

I work with a bunch of Harley guys, on A beautiful day it looks like a HD dealer in our parking lot. And I'm willing to bet my bike has more miles on it than the other 8 to 10 combined and there are a couple older than mine. Minus one guys, hes a rider year round and a true rider but even his at around 60k miles had to have the engine cracked open for repairs once already. I know guys on Jap bikes with 100k and never touched the internals. You just don't know the right people to talk of real miles on some bikes.

Edited by 2talltim

So you are saying there are no garage queen jap bikes out there? Every brand of bike has riders that will say it’s too cold, too hot, too far, too wet, or just no time. I admit Harleys need more TLC no point in arguing that mine will need rebuilt at the end of this coming summer around 45,000 miles. Any smart Harley rider will have at least have the nylon chain tensioner replaced before 50.000 miles with a steel roller gear. After my first rebuild it should get well over 120,000 miles before it will need a total rebuild done.  My 2003 had over 88,000 on it when it was killed by a young girl on a cell phone. It’s all about preventative maintenance. Take care of it it will take care of you.

While I will never agree with you there.  That wasn't my point.  Most are newer.  They are like the Toyota Corolla of the motorcycle world.  People buy them on brand and not because they are good.  In no way am I associating reliability of a Toyota with a HD.  I'm saying they are a dime a dozen and clog everything up, including the roads. 

So you are saying there are no garage queen jap bikes out there? Every brand of bike has riders that will say it’s too cold, too hot, too far, too wet, or just no time. I admit Harleys need more TLC no point in arguing that mine will need rebuilt at the end of this coming summer around 45,000 miles. Any smart Harley rider will have at least have the nylon chain tensioner replaced before 50.000 miles with a steel roller gear. After my first rebuild it should get well over 120,000 miles before it will need a total rebuild done. My 2003 had over 88,000 on it when it was killed by a young girl on a cell phone. It’s all about preventative maintenance. Take care of it it will take care of you.

I love you to death Rick and have nothing personal against HD'S but. Talking about spliting a engine at 45k miles to rebuild and replace hard parts and talking that it's just what you have to do with said make. Then coming on a forum and blasting another manufacturers bikes just sounds flipping insane to me. My bike has almost 45k on it and I plan on going at least 55k more before I would even think to worry about internal parts. Hell Dan puts 111k plus on a 650 v twin sport bike engine that never in a million years would have been design for such mileage all with out touching the internal s (minus a valve adjustment). I have nothing against HD and I think they are beautiful bikes and it's all a style thing and personal preference. Keep in mind you pulled the trigger first on this debate by saying our bikes won't last as long. And I agree there are garage queens with all makes and I'll also agree that you have to maintain your ride. But where I disagree is mile per mile a HD bike can not hold its ground on reliability to most other makes with out major mechanical upkeep. And if you start talking dollars and cents they aren't even on the same planet.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 2

If I had to do engine work on a bike at 45,000 I would never buy another bike from that brand.My '03 FJR has 100,004 miles on it,my '13 FJR has 42,500 on it and we'll be heading to California as so as the weather beaks.Neither has had engine work done on them.

150,000 to 200,000 is not all that unusual for an FJR,or any big sport-tourer for that matter.

Let's not even get started on Gold Wings.

Edited by drc32-0