Knives! What do you have?

chevysoldier

I carry a Cold Steel Voyager everyday, but I use it at work. I've not had any issues with it. Sharp out of the box and I mostly use it for cutting up cardboard and slicing through cable jackets. I'm thinking about buying another one from Cold Steel of the fixed blade variety.

I carry a Benchmade 5000sbk, it's one of their auto knives, same one you can get issued from the Army if you're really cool with your supply NCO. Carried both it and one of the next gen KA-BARs in Iraq, only the KA-BAR in Afghanistan. Both very nice and durable knives. The Benchmade does need some work though. Then there's the assortment of odds and ends folding and fixed blade knives, too many to list here but my favorite beside the Benchmade and the KA-BAR would have to be the SOG Seal Pup, it's well balanced and it has kind of a uniquely shaped blade.

Yeah we tried to order them while I was in Iraq, and my supply NCO and I were really cool, he just couldn't get em. :( Instead we got stupid gerber folders, Don't remember the model. I hated the over molded rubber handle on it.

***EDIT: re-read OP, I have the mini Leatherman with me most all the time.

I know you're military, but auto knives can also be sold to "collectors", ;) if one is not military or LEO... Laws vary by state. I believe you're allowed to own an auto knife in Ohio, regardless of your currrent or former profession, you just can't sell one. Go figure. I could give you mine, and then sell you my half-eaten sammich for $300...

I have the Benchmade 3300 Infidel, auto, otf, stainless. Next time we're going to be at the same place I'll bring it along and let you fondle it, see if you like it.

+1 on the Ginsu! Have 3 - one in the barn, one in the garage, and one in the kitchen. Cut through whatever you want, stay as sharp as the day I got them.

Also have various assorted pocket knives, a mini Leatherman, and a fixed blade I saw at Harbor Freight for $9; conceals matches, sewing kit, fishing line & hook, safety pins, buttons in the handle, and has a compass.

Forgot about "collectors". I'm pretty sure you can carry autos in Ohio. I really would like to fondle yours when I see you. ;)

Come to a gunshow with us once in while there are several dealers there with those.

Yeah I have seen them at shows before, I just can't justify the cost at this point.

http://www.knifetests.com/BussefFFBMtestpage.html

www.knifetests.com does some cool tests with knives and rates them. Vids are available on their website

Sweet link. Thanks, I'll check it out more later.

My SOG Desert Dagger is by far the best knife I've owned. It's been used extensively. When i seperated i had it cleaned polished and honed.

2a97dad6.jpg

I like that a lot.

Rollo. ThinkGeek titanium spork. $9

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/8ace/

:lol: Awesome.

Ginsu - $19.95 - but wait, also choice of garden weasel or flowbee included.

Ginsu.... my dad ordered a set in the 1980's. Waited 6 weeks for them to arrive from Japan only to find out that they were made in the factory that actually shared a wall with his factory in Fremont, Ohio. :dunno:

Yeah we tried to order them while I was in Iraq, and my supply NCO and I were really cool, he just couldn't get em. :( Instead we got stupid gerber folders, Don't remember the model. I hated the over molded rubber handle on it.

Forgot about "collectors". I'm pretty sure you can carry autos in Ohio.

Eh, the only Gerber blade I liked was the Applegate/Fairbane folder. In Ohio it's illegal to own or carry an auto knife or switchblade unless you're a LEO or in the military. Ohio Revised Code 2923.20 section 3 http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.20 If you have a LEO ID, you can buy one from any shop. If you have a military ID you can buy one from certain shops. Vance's for instance will not sell to military but River's Edge Cutlery in Hilliard will. Actual collectors fall into a strange and nebulous category like those people with a class 3 FFL. It's a place filled with miles of paperwork, red tape, and rediculous fees, charges and tax stamps. Only way to get one without one of those ID's is to buy an auto knife kit that you put together yourself. These fall into the same loophole that the "novelty paperweight" brass knuckles do. It's not a knife, it's a kit and the manufacturer of the kit can't be held responsible for what you do with it once you have it. I have a couple of those also of varying quality. If you get the right kit you'll have a pretty nice oldschool switchblade. River's Edge has a good overall selection of knives and they carry both Benchmade auto knives mentioned here. In terms of actual problems with the police, you're only going to get hassled by the cops for it if they find it. And, in theory, they're only going to find it if you give them a reason to search you.

Edited by Casper
fixed quote

I really want to pick one of these up. Benchmade 3550SBK Auto opener. For sale (from stores/dealers) to military and law enforcement. Heavy duty and high quality.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXem08IN4M0Eo09Y17DmghPNCiX2kAze3egJl8ewjTT9x3sGU&t=1&usg=__bZp2_g8Anh6YYB9pDLKZN35Zfrw=

^^ My buddy has one of these. Nice knife but too thin for me and not enough to grip.

very useful for precise sammich making... :)

I'm not really a knife kid, just bought a CRKT money clip mini to toss in my travel bag, that should last about a month before the TSA decides to steal it.

very useful for precise sammich making... :)

I'm not really a knife kid, just bought a CRKT money clip mini to toss in my travel bag, that should last about a month before the TSA decides to steal it.

I just brought back from TX 1000 bullets for reloading my 308 for shooting matches. Granted they are not dangerous at all but I had the wonderful note from TSA inside my bag when I landed saying they had gone through my luggage. Oh well, at least my stuff made it. Other then that, I always do carry-on.

I just brought back from TX 1000 bullets for reloading my 308 for shooting matches. Granted they are not dangerous at all but I had the wonderful note from TSA inside my bag when I landed saying they had gone through my luggage. Oh well, at least my stuff made it. Other then that, I always do carry-on.

Could have been worse. :D

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/American-found-with-shotgun-cartridges-at-airport

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/36863_American-woman-fined-for-ammo-in-luggage

I carry a kitchen knife to the plate.

I own a Gerber Gator II, military KA-Bar my buddy gave me 10 years ago, Case XX 00189, a ton of other cheap pocket knives and a gut hook.

• 2 weeks later...

I know you're military, but auto knives can also be sold to "collectors", ;) if one is not military or LEO... Laws vary by state. I believe you're allowed to own an auto knife in Ohio, regardless of your currrent or former profession, you just can't sell one. Go figure. I could give you mine, and then sell you my half-eaten sammich for $300...

When I went through the police academy a few years ago, the only people who could own them were LEO, military, and fire/rescue personnel; and the only people who could purchase them in the state were LEO and military. That was roughly 4 years ago. I'm not in the police work anymore, so I don't pay as much attention. Now if i want to purchase an auto opener, I just get my fire chief to write a note on department letter head with my info, to confirm I am active fire/rescue personnel.

• 2 months later...
Just picked up one of these to replace my leatherman today. Sharp as hell right out of the box almost cut my self a few times already today. SOG flash II half serr. black TiNi model.

tfsa98_lg.jpg

Almost bought one of them myself. Exact model actually. One of the online places had the SOG Flash II on sale for something like $34 yesterday or today. Dont think it applied to the TiNi model though.

I have one of the Kershaw Leek 1660st knives. Nice compact knife, assisted opener with a good edge if you only wanted to use it for protection. Like somebody else had already mentioned, it doesn't hold it's edge if used for day to day duties. Don't know about the legality issue, I have asked 2 LEO's since moving to Ohio about it and neither had any problem with the action and felt it was legal.

That people can see, Kershaw speed-asist black-out or whirlwind depending on the day and what attire I am wearing...:lol:

I have a slew of Kershaws... I seem to have to buy a new one all the time. Seems when I take it out I never know what I did with it...

I have a gun case full of Remington Case and Buck collectibles. That never see the light of day or fingerprints.

Seems when I take it out I never know what I did with it...:lol:

I have a few kershaws, scallions. they are ok but the one I used alot fell apart. the lock broke and the clip keeps coming loose and falling off. I like this sog so far, also nice that it is very small at the clip makes it look alot smaller in the pocket. Some day I will sve up for a benchmade or microtec.