Another noob question lol

JStump

:cool:-beans. That's cool jstumpalump150, you should do it then. A 250 will make it way easier than any other bike for sure. You have a good bike to test on.

I took it on a Ninja 250. Screwed up the cone weave. I wasn't looking in the right spot and screwed my self up. Bigger than 600 I think, they adjust the cones so it's a bigger weave.

its not in there cuz they dont want you practicing before the test, or so thats what i hear, but i did find what i think is the right layout online.

there are some youtube videos, actually I think Swing'R had taken some?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

figure 8 has to be the worst but everything else is pretty simple.

+1 Yeah I hated the figure 8, always felt like I was gonna dump the bike. I took the MSF on one of their Nighthawk 250's which are perfect for that. Good luck with the MSF class when you take it...it is well worth the $$$. Good choice for your first bike too, I started out on a 2004 Ninja 250.

Edited by drew95gt

Just a tiny bit more powerful. You know, enough to power a FAN!!! :lol:

:lol: I busted out laughing at that one!

its good to ride behind "the fan" on hot days. Porter you should change your SN to "Cool Breeze" :D

Yeah, figure 8 was a pain but it was better to go outside the line a tad than dump the bike. I did the MSF and it is well worth the $25... I know their test was a quick stop, figure 8, turn and one other thing but. Maybe it was just three things. We did practice a lot more stuff than they do the test over. Plus the only size bikes they have are 250's so taking your test with one might no be too bad.

I rode on the highway with my permit. Always nervous when I saw a cop but always obeyed the road laws too. Not the permit rules, just the road one. :D I road at night a few times but never too far, just in town. Never rode 2up though... I know you have to wear your helmet with the permit too. That should be a given to do with or without.

Random thoughts:

I know people that have gotten pulled over riding other people's bikes sans helmet/with passenger/on the freeway/etc because the plate was run and came back permit only.

I've seen some people who were hit with some permit violation, got their license between then and their court date, and had their case dismissed. Not sure whether or not there were lawyers involved.

It is free to take the skills test, you just pay whatever fee it is to get it added to your license after you pass, same as if you had your card from the MSF.

If you fail the skills test, you have to wait seven days or so to take it again. A buddy of mine went a whole summer trying to pass and took the test what seemed like a dozen times.

They used to allow and even encourage you to practice on the actual course as long as they weren't using it for testing at the moment. A good move is to go up and watch some other people test so you know what you'll need to do.

I took the MSF and did the whole thing on a CB125T. I always wanted to go up there and try it on a 600 sportbike, I would hope I could do it now. My buddy mentioned above eventually got it on a GSXR600, and I know someone else who passed on a GSXR750, but most of the folks I know ended up borrowing a more tightly-maneuverable bike to use.

Edit P.S. disclaimer - anything I know about this stuff is about 6 years old. Things may have changed...

Edited by brn6604

its not in there cuz they dont want you practicing before the test, or so thats what i hear, but i did find what i think is the right layout online.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-training/motorcycle-test/

That link has the portions of the test during the BRC course.

Make sure you can ride slow (the stall portion) without putting your foot down, practice quick stops (being sure to shift down to 1st while braking before putting your foot down when stopped), and obstacle swerving. That's the areas that the people in my class seemed to have the most trouble.

some tips:

when you take your class, they'll probably have a dual sport... use it. it is so awesome (well, compared to the other bikes)

when you do the quick stop, make sure you have maintenance throttle til you cross the line... then use both front and rear brakes. they like to see the rear lock up a little... at least that's what I was told. again, fun on the dual sport lol

make sure you show up early.

good luck!

hey jstump, just a little advice...

Wait until after your MSF to commute on the highways. Commuting is the most dangerous aspect of motorcycling because you're out on the roads when everyone else is just droning along trying to get to work or home- they are NOT paying attention.

You need some experience on two wheels before you'll be really equipped to deal with these people. You need to be on top of your game on the highway- watching your mirrors, watching ahead of you, watching for people coming from all sides- It's a LOT to deal with and is a challenge for even experienced riders.

I know people that have gotten pulled over riding other people's bikes sans helmet/with passenger/on the freeway/etc because the plate was run and came back permit only.

Please cite.

I can't see how this would be possible. I don't believe there is anything that links a license plate and a drivers license.

It's just not an effective means of actually keeping track of anything. I have had my M endorsement for almost 6 years now. My wife just got hers 1.5 years ago.

We only own 1 street bike, and it's registered to me. So if what you're saying is correct, she would have found the magic loophole to violate the permit rules without getting caught?

I can't believe it's that simple. I also can't believe that the opposite would be true; that I could be pulled over for riding on the highway on a bike registered to someone without a full endorsement.

It would seem to me that having a temps vs. a full license would be like a seat belt violation; you can't be pulled over for it, but you can be cited for it once you're pulled over for some other reason.

And the cop WILL ALWAYS find some other reason - but that's besides the point...

I have heard cops can pull over a motorcycle for no reason other than to "check" for endorsement and safety, my one buddy gets pulled over on a monthly basis it seems and never gets tickets because he is doing nothing wrong, the cops just decide to pull him over.

I have heard cops can pull over a motorcycle for no reason other than to "check" for endorsement and safety, my one buddy gets pulled over on a monthly basis it seems and never gets tickets because he is doing nothing wrong, the cops just decide to pull him over.

somehow i hardly believe people that say that. Either they are making up/exaggerating how many times they get pulled over or they actually are bringing attention to themselves in some way that necessitates them getting pulled over