One in the chamber when you carry?

idodishez

Yes, one in the chamber if I'm carrying a semi-auto.

If the weapon i'm carrying has a manual safety, then that safety's on.

Reason? I don't want to have to rack the slide before I can dispatch the bg.

Practice carrying with snap caps - you'll see that the gun doesn't fire unless you want it to fire.

Carry a revolver and this discussion's moot.

Edited by jblosser
homonym problem fixt

Revolver, so yes. If I carry my Glock or PPK, then chamber is loaded. I don't like the safety on the PPK, so I'll sometimes carry with safety off (going to areas that have a higher crime potential). I rarely carry anything but my j-frame though.

I actually saw one guy he goes so far as to have one less than capacity loaded on his revolver, so the hammer isnt on a round when he carries.

That was the only way to safely carry old Colt SAA back in the day. The hammer didn't rebound so it rested right up on a live round. The smallest bump would set it off. Modern revolvers have no issue being carried loaded to capacity.

I actually saw one guy he goes so far as to have one less than capacity loaded on his revolver, so the hammer isnt on a round when he carries.

Double action (DA) revolver, yeah sometimes. Don't drop it on the hammer.

Single action (SA) revolver, carry one under the hammer and you'll eventually try to put a hole in yourself. But it really applied to the old western revolver with the touchy cartridges they carried.

Yea, my Ruger has a manual hammer safety which in class we were taught the correct draw technique to slide it from holster and remove safety in 1 draw motion. Basiclly second nature. Helps that our instructor was a Beretta fan with the same setup, and a retired Gunnery Sgt. of 35+ yrs.

If you won't carry one in the chamber or have a gun not safe to do this, you shouldn't be carrying, because by that point, if you are needing to use it, you are DEAD.

In all seriousness, If you are not comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, you probably need more training or more experience with your firearm.

I agree, but my father will not let me carry one in the chamber while at his house. So when I visit I have to remove it from the chamber.