Which would you choose?

imprez55

*update* An upper for the 600rr should be here Wednesday or so, but it also has blown front fork seals. I just rode the r1 into work today and near the end of the trip I started to hear a rattle at idle, so it might need a new cct. I will have to wait till after work to look into it further..in the rain.*

Through a couple different sales and trades, I have ended up with two sportbikes; a 2002 r1 and a 2003 600rr. I feel like I have too much money wrapped up in both, so I would rather sell one and just keep one (or option 3, sell both and buy a new one. Kind of defeats the benefit of making money). Both have pro's and con's obviously, and I can probably make a good amount off either if sold. Both also have newer tires and brakes. I'm not sure which one to choose so I am asking for your opinions on which you would rather have and why.

'03 600rr:

-16,000 miles (sat for the last year and a half)

-completely stock (technically needs mirrors and upper to get back to stock)

-I personally checked valves, crank, clutch and know they are in spec

-could possibly double+ my investment (either way it would cover the amount paid for either bike)

-Worse condition (fairing are in the process of being repaired and sprayed, lower crankcase was cracked and welded from a highside)

'02 r1:

-31,000 miles (1K within the last year)

-don't know about valves, clutch etc (possibly a bigger issue with the higher miles)

-can cover my investment+ (lots of extra parts, but its older so the AM/stock parts sell less quickly)

-Better condition (looks great, only problem is headlights arn't working properly but I'm sure I will get that figured out once I have time to look at it)

-modded out:

- Akropovic full system

- Power Commander III

- Attack rearsets with carbon fiber heel gaurds

- Graves clip-ons

- Ohlins rear shock

- 520 conversion with Vortex sprockets and DID gold chain

- SS brake lines

- Ohlins steering damper

- Brembo raidial front master cylinder

- t-rex Frame sliders

- Ohlins front fork internals

- Zero double bubble clear windscreen

- Graves fender eliminator (not installed yet)

- CRG clutch lever (not installed yet)

- Shark swingarm guard

Bonus info: When things lighten up, I will be doing trackdays (how often depends on cash flow) but it will be mostly street duty. I know full well that I cannot maximize either bike's potential, but that doesn't mean I necessarily want the lesser of the two. The purpose of getting rid of one is a quick sale, to maximize the money in my bank account, and still have the best I can with no regrets.

Edited by imprez55

In reality if you can sell both and make money no both then do that and buy something newer.

The only issues with that is then I am not keeping any of the money and I don't think I would benefit from anything off a new bike over either of my current ones, especially the modded r1. It would probably be the most exciting option though (who doesn't love buying new bikes!)

sell both...get newer cbr. Thats what I would do. The way I look at it when it comes to my toys is as long as I've made money to cover my initial investment then I have no issue using the profits to upgrade

Id choose the R1 as its got more goodies, looks better, and you can check the trans, clutch and valves yourself.. then there is minimal problems there. i dont care for the CBRs much.. nice bike just not my favorite.

The R1's already got Ohlins upgrades so I'd track it before the CBR - Honda's cost more to repair and the extra power comes in handy - so if you're having issues cornering, you've got the grunt to catch back up on the straights and the Ohlins are far more adjustable for fine tuning the turns back into your laptimes

R1's suck in my opinion.

I don't like guys named Todd, cause usually, they're :supergay:

Hahaha, JUST KIDDING. My choice would be the R1. NOT because I have one, but because from the mod list and everything described, it just makes sense.

Pics?

Ask and you shall receive. The r1 is here and the 600rr is here. I don't have updated pics of the 600rr right now, but just imagine no upper, mids, or lowers and stock everything else.

R1's suck in my opinion.

Reasoning? I am willing to take that into consideration if there is a legitimate reason behind it.

I thought R1's had internal problems in the tranny and gears? I would opt for the CBR in this situation.

Although, if you wanted to sell the CBR at a reasonable price... :D

Any sources for that? I did a quick search and I didn't find anything, but that is certainly something I do not want to run into again.

sell both...get newer cbr. Thats what I would do. The way I look at it when it comes to my toys is as long as I've made money to cover my initial investment then I have no issue using the profits to upgrade

This would be ideal, unfortunately I would no longer be making money (I do need some at the current moment) and I would probably be without a bike for a little while. Both not ideal, but it IS still an option.

I do have a graves FE, I just need some turn signals before I install it.

Track bike idea isn't bad, I could just street it with a projector and some turn signals pretty easy.

at that rate I'd just sell the r1 and track the 600rr. Find some cheap track plastics and add a projector and bam, best of both worlds

The R1's already got Ohlins upgrades so I'd track it before the CBR - Honda's cost more to repair and the extra power comes in handy - so if you're having issues cornering, you've got the grunt to catch back up on the straights and the Ohlins are far more adjustable for fine tuning the turns back into your laptimes

a ZX-14 rider WOULD think this way :rolleyes:

The mileage on the R1 makes me a little nervous. if there are other mechanical issues looming, then i'm definitely sold on the CBR.

Pauly can fix your forks for a very reasonable price, and you can borrow my stand to hold the bike up while they're being fixed. I also have the socket for the front axle if you need it.

for street duty, I have basically no opinion.

For track duty, it's hard to say, because the R1 has upgraded suspension, but the CBR will be less work to toss around. I guess i lean toward the 600, just because it will be cheaper on tires, and a better learning tool. Jbot does pretty damn well on stock '03 600RR suspension. I have stock internals in my forks, but a penske shock. Neither of us will be the slowest "Advanced" guy out there, and (no offense) passing you on an R1 will be pretty easy until you've got a lot more track experience.

Now on the street, there is virtually no situation where carrying corner speed to out-pace a bigger bike is safe.

Be honest with yourself about what you really want the bike to do. If 95% of your riding is on the street, the R1 is going to be a bit more user-friendly, but it WILL hold you back at the track to some degree. Whether or not you care for 5% of the time is your call.

For this weekend, ride whichever one is going to be less of a head-ache. You want to RIDE your first trackday, not wrench all day.

Update in first post.

Why track the 600rr over the r1, for those who have said it?

cheaper tires, lighter and better handling, less likely to highside the 600, less work to ride the 600, you will be forced to learn more because you won't have 150hp to rely on.

Plus there aren't a lot of tracks around here where a 1000 can really stretch its legs. Mid-Ohio's back straight is ~3,000 feet. 600's are JUST ticking the rev limiter. liter bikes may not even need 5th gear.