small bikes on the freeway

2talltim

ive heard many things about what the laws are. can anyone tell me if it is illegal to take a 250cc or smaller bike on the freeway? Im not saying i wanna do it or im thinking about it, the topic has been brought up before.

ive heard many things about what the laws are. can anyone tell me if it is illeagal to take a 250cc or smaller bike on the freeway? Im not saying i wanna do it or im thinking about it, the topic has been brought up before.

definitely can't be illegal, I've seen many a ninja and 250 scooters on the highway

I could probably look up the rules from DMV, or I can try to take a picture of the sign on the freeway onramp that says something like no vehicles under XX HP on the freeway

That actually says brake HP... here's the best thing I could find... I can't be bothered to look this up in the ORC

Low-power cycle is a generic term used by the Institute to cover motor-driven cycles, mopeds, scooters, and various other 2-wheeled cycles excluded from the motorcycle definition. While state laws vary, a cycle with an engine displacement of 50 cubic centimeters or less, brake horsepower of 2 or less, and top speeds of 30 mph or less typically is considered a low-power cycle. Twenty-two states have motorcycle helmet laws that cover all low-power cycles. Twenty-five states and the District of Columbia have laws that cover some low-power cycles.

sign on the freeway onramp that says something like no vehicles under XX HP on the freeway
thats interesting because i believe a rebel 250 only has like 19hp Edited by 2talltim

I think the law is actually 6BHP. Thats CB100 territory. Back in the day honda made 2 versions of the CB/CL/SL 100. The "S" model was restricted to 6 horsepower and made it eligible in many places to be ridden without a licence.

I ride a CB350F on the freeway all the time. I wouldn't want any less power than it has, It can get hairy at times on shorter entrance ramps.

I thought it was simply minimum of 5 brake horsepower, and don't drive slower than 45mph...

It's a judgment call of local jurisdiction. I haven't seen one of those signs on a freeway entrance for years.

I rode freeways with a 160cc all the time. But it was a fast 160cc.

And it wasn't crowded freeways, no cell phones, etc etc.

I ride my Ninja 250 on the freeway every day! 161 and I-270 to get to work.

I also rode it all the way down into West Virginia last year, in the rain, then back. Went on a nice twisties ride last weekend all the way to Ironton and back, too.

Little bikes are fun! Now I need a bigger bike to compare to!

Id be scarred shitless to take a 250 on the highway. First time id pass a semi and get that sucked in feeling that would be enough.

Also are you sure a rebel 250 has 19hp? That sounds very low to me

I rode my 1985 rebel 250 on the freeway all the time, you have to make it scream though to keep up with traffic. Rode my friend's ninja 250 and was much more comfortable since the bike isn't sitting right at redline to stay with the flow. I can't see any reason why as long as you can keep up with the minimum speed limit a small bike would be illegal on the highway. Terrifying? Maybe. But illegal, nah. 19 horsepower sounds about right if i remember correctly from my Clymer manual.

Id be scarred shitless to take a 250 on the highway. First time id pass a semi and get that sucked in feeling that would be enough.

I do it every day to work! I'm usually passing the traffic to keep ahead of them, and keep them aware that I'm there. The only time I get that "sucked in" feeling is when it's windy out. I went by a big semi tonight and nothing at all to it.

Ninja 250 is rated at 26 HP, if I recall correctly.

19hp sounds about right, a Ninja 250 has about 25hp at the rear wheel. I've ridden my Ninja 250 on the freeway many times without a problem. I took I-90 and 2 from Cleveland to Sandusky with the speeds hovering around 80 the whole way. And I'm 6'2" 220# :D

I know that the laws vary by state. I believe Ohio is >6 bhp, California is >150cc, etc.. In many areas or at off peak times I would not see a problem with a small bike on the freeway. But I wouldn't want to take a 6 hp bike on the freeway in rush hour traffic :eek: The ninja however is no problem.

Craig

19hp sounds about right, a Ninja 250 has about 25hp at the rear wheel.

I would agree, and only add that the discrepancy is caused by the fact that the Rebel is air-cooled, so it can't turn the RPM the EX250 can (not w/o scorching a cylinder anyway).

That little EX spins to 14,000 RPM or something silly.

When they're properly tuned, on flat ground, and the rider is in a full tuck, even a first generation EX250 should be able to crack 100 mph.

The rebel offers zero wind protection, and is down on power. I think TPoppa said his was good for ~75mph at best.

The EX250 isn't an ideal highway machine, but it's no worse than my wife's old Neon. The top-speed was about the same, and the bike certainly accelerated better, and braked just as well.

I commute on my 250 scooter every day. It only has 20hp, which is plenty for its weight. Tops out at an indicated 86mph. It still accelerates way faster than the average car, so I don't feel unsafe riding it. Of course I'm also the same guy who rode a 50cc scooter all winter two years ago.

And the bit about California above is correct; anything less than 150cc is considered a "motor-driven cycle", not a motorcycle, and cannot be ridden on the highway.

I haven't seen one of those signs on a freeway entrance for years.

they are still out there. i see em all the time. maybe you should pay closer attention to the signage ;)

get on 70 westbound from 256, there is one.

My wife started out on a virago 250 they are rated around 21hp..I used to tease her that my huskey riding mower had more HP it was 23hp...lol

Prove it! I want to see that Husky on a dyno! No way it puts 23hp to the wheels.:D