• I blew a corner
    • Not my mistake = idiot drivers / dogs / traffic etc
    • Was riding faster than my comfortable level
    • Was in a group ride
    • Was riding solo
    • Was hospitalized/ ED visit
    • Rode home = bike ridable + only minor scuffs
    • Bike totalled/ Couldnt ride home

"I can change my line without upsetting the bike, I can slow down without upsetting the bike, and I can judge my entry speed to leave some in reserve and a multitude of other subtle things"

Me to I learned these things on the street though.

You can learn these things on the street but the learning curve is much longer and the penalty for making a mistake is harsher besides I never said you couldn't learn on the street unlike your incorrect assumption that the skills can't be learned on the track.

I could follow some of your logic if you were able to compare the two to give a reasonable explanation of the differences but you aren't giving advice from a reference point of experience just opinion. I find your opinion to be in conflict with actual experience.

I learned to ride by following my dad around. When I wasent doing that I was practicing slow manuvers in our church parking lot. I learned alot and still do by following him and seeing how he handles different situations. Also anytime I am around cars I pretend like I am 100% invisible. I ride through downtown Pittsburgh traffic during my 112 mile commute to work and back and have not had an issue yet. But I have also only been riding for a little over a year.

Dont do it every day though, once or twice a week. Well I ride once or twice a week, coldest ride this year so far was 42 degrees.

And an open hov lane separated from all traffic by cement barriers at 6am makes up for the crappy commute :-) only place I seriously speed and dont have to worry about anything.

Edited by Jester_

Back to the thread... You derailing farts. Both instances were solo, just commuting.

I was hit on the 650. The lady pulled out in front of me, and I swerved, getting nipped in the ankle. Was wearing my typical gear: helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. No riding pants for a daily commute. :-/

On the R6, though I could blame it on rain or a sneaky traffic light, it was my fault for not slowing enough, just in case the light did change. So I fell after locking up the front on the water, partially leaned over. Once again, typical gear. Jeans were ripped and knee was bruised. Riding pants would have stopped that.

Because every time i ride with faster riders, i am kind of riding at my limit even thou i am trying to "ride my own ride". And it is not un common for me to have at least one "oh shit" moment which thankfully never ended up bad. and i see and hear others also having at least one "scary" moment during their ride.

That's a fairly accurate description of how I rode for a few years as well. Then an "oh shit" moment turned into a cracked spine, totalled bike, and a year and a half off of two wheels.

Now my mentality is that an "oh shit" moment is no different than a crash, and I take them -very- seriously. My mindset and my definition of what my limits are has changed. If I'm unable to take a corner with a clean line and an even cleaner sightline, I'm riding too fast. If I have to be hard on the brakes before a corner, I'm riding too fast. There isn't margin for error on the street - there's luck and then there's reality, and everyone runs out of luck sooner or later. Once I left my luck bubble and found reality, my mind rewrote a lot of its own rules and I feel that I'm a better, safer rider for it.

RFM might have a few pics of when I launched my cbr 100 yards into a field :eek:

I might have to pull one out, just for giggles. Having that drop off, and the hill falling away truly launched that poor bike...

Interesting more wrecks were solo and not in groups. Perhaps peer pressure keeps stupidity down? Or the "best" rider leading sets a safe pace and lines?

I wouldnt say safe pace, you've rode with John, Tim, Brent and myself. We dont really slow it to a pace most would consider "safe" but what we are doing is showing a line. These bikes are capable of more than any of us are so if you have someone leading that has good lines, most anyone can follow. Then they come back the following weekend alone doing the same speed because thats what they did last week but this time they dont have a line to follow and thats when it goes bad. The best bike and best tires on a clean road dont help if you have a shitty line and bad body position.

I hope everyone who rides a MC on the street, especially at a pace that may not meet the definition of "legal speed", has read this article by Nick Ienatsch from a long time ago. I've seen it posted on many forums and has certainly been posted here as well, but this thread and this time of year begs for it to be posted and read by all riders again.

My apologies if you've already seen it and abide by "The Pace"....

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0911_the_pace_nick_ienatsch/index.html

seems like solo ride accidents are more prevalent, may be many people commute to work etc

glad to see majority are fully geared up, may be thats why they are still here riding and posting and answered the poll.

And nice that people are honest and accepted that fact that they blew corners which means most of us need more practice. Track days for sure.

4 lane non divided highway,50 mph speed limit,my speed 40 to 45 on impact,no traffic. Helmet was about it for gear. Back in the day only hoodlums wore leather. Moto cross racers only wore long sleeve jerseys. Me in right lane,small telephone bucket truck parked in substation. Couldn't have been 20 feet from him when he backed right into my path. Some brakes and counter steer and I clocked him between bumper and rear tire. Bounced off truck. No major injuries. Totaled a beautiful black and orange Honda 750F. Only way I could have avoided this was if I had stayed home or left 30 seconds later.

Way too fast on a back road that I had only been on a couple times. Saw a couple rocks on the road and fixated on them, didnt lose it immediately but shot across the road and hit the guard rail @ I'd guess 40-50.

Bike totaled, had helmet, backpack, jeans and gloves on. Both arms messed up, and jeans ground through. Nice girl saw me outside looking at the bike after it was towed to campus and offered to help me clean up my rash. Ended up going to the ER about 8 hours later cause I towed the bike back to my parents place to tear it down and my mother flipped out.

I ride at my own pace, but I do push my limits when i am comfortable to. In my opinion, you won't know what you are capable of or get better unless you push yourself. Is it safe to do it on the streets, not at all.. track days! I don't feel pushed on group rides, but they do give me motivation to see what I can do. And i have rode with people that will help give you better techniques.

^^^ This. I have had a few close calls, no accidents, and usually have at least one "oh shit" moment on a good ride,

that let's me know I'm having a good time :)

I had only had my bike about a month (92 zx7r). Had just turned 18 2 days prior, and passed the safety course the day before (ironic?). I was leaving school, and decided to gas it a little bit in first. Another girl my age cut through some traffic directly in front of me and I grabbed a handful of brake in a panic (the old ass cold dunlops didn't help, but no excuse) it was either plow into her or lay it over. Instead of laying it over it locked the front tire and threw me off, then the bike still slid into her car. I was maybe doing 30. Broken right tibia, lots of rash on my arms and hands, on my right hand it was down in the meat. My knee cap was showing through my pants leg on the leg i broke. I got owned, but I think it made me a much safer rider.