rear stand question.. forward handle vs regular

John

so is there any real advantages to the forward handle type rear stand, over the regular kind other than being able to hold on to the handlebar while you put it on the stand?

are there any distinct DISadvantages to this type of stand over the regular kind?

75530-need-rear-stand-recommendation-stand.jpg

I think the rear handle is easier to use. I've seen others using the forward handle type and it just looks awkward and clumsy. Disadvantage of the rear handle is it sticks out far and takes up more room. The front handled ones are supposed to be easier for 1 person I think but I've never had a problem putting mine on the stand myself.

it is more of a pain to line up the forward handle oriented on the spools/swingarm than the regular (backwards facing) handled version.

the regular handled stand has no real disadvantage compared to the forward stand unless you dont have a kick stand and are really incapable of balancing the bike while you walk around back to put the regular handle stand on and/or you don't have the extra few inches of space. i have both, i prefer the regular handle.

Seemed like the front handle stand would be in the way a lot of times when you work on bike.

i kind of thought that too... thats kinda why i was asking :)

that thing looks like a nightmare ligning up the spools with it.

yeah that crossed my mind as well... this video makes it look real easy lol. i dont think it would be TOO bad, you can probably just look over the other side and see? idk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duHkDtS9we0

The rear handle sticks out and becomes a trip hazard. Don't as how I came to this realization.

BTW, I have some realtively cheap stands and the first time I used it on the rear, the prongs of the stand scratched my swingarm because I didn't have it aligned just right and did a piss poor of it (my first experience with stands). Afterwards, I dipped them in some plastidip to mitigate that sort of thing happening in the future. Not sure if the higher end stands had scratch protection on them or not. If not, this is a nice tip.

Edited by ScubaCinci
SPELLING!!!!

I sold my rear handle because I liked my forward handle much better depending on the size of your spools it can be tricky the first few times you use it but I have pitbull spools and they are pretty small and I can line it up easy now that I'm used to it. Oh and now that my bike is stretched I don't think a rear handle would work.

Seemed like the front handle stand would be in the way a lot of times when you work on bike.
i kind of thought that too... thats kinda why i was asking :)

Can you flip that thing around and use it backwards, or is there not enough reach?

I had both versions, and the forward was by and far quicker to set since I just had to straighten the bike and look down over seat to line up the spools. While leaning over, it was a simple lowering of body weight to engage/lift. No kickstand use needed, but did hinder working on left rear of bike a little. Being tight on space, I even had the detachable front handle to minimize the overall footprint of the bike.

well, if you decide to go with forward handle, i have a pitbull forward handle i can sell you for a $100. i'll probably just go and buy another "normal" stand with the money... you know, since it is vastly superior.