What to do with a bike in part-out condition?

Ryan_c_F

Hi, guys.

I've got a dilemma on my hands, and I wanted to address cooler and wiser heads (UNFORTUNATELY THEY WERE ALL BUSY SO I'M POSTING HERE HAHA).

Sorry.

Anyway, I have a V65 Sabre in terrible, non-running shape. As of my last estimate, it needs:

New rear master cylinder, brake pads all around, front fork seals, new rear monoshock mounted, and... wait for it... most likely a complete electrical rebuild. Of course, after sitting for two years, it needs the carbs cleaned and seals replaced.

Plus I need to get a key made for it because it disappeared.

:mad:

So.

I'm thinking either selling it to someone for parts or just letting it go to salvage. I don't want a half-torn-apart 600-lb motorcycle taking up space in my garage, so, in my situation... what would you do?

Salvage yard and get it weighed out? Put it up on craigslist for $300 so some backyard savant can pull the engine (which is still excellent btw)? Get it fixed?

I'm just stuck. It's sat for almost two years now. This was my dream bike for a long time but it needs to be gone now. I'm going through some pretty drastic life changes and I need to get a fresh start.

Part it out or sell it as a parts bike. You won't get much for it for scrap. Even if you sell it for scrap value to get rid of it quick, at least it may see another life as someone else's project.

similar things have been done

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/feature-motorcycle-powered-go-karts

I'd probably give it a little more clearance, and more aggressive treads for some dirt/grass action...but that's me

Word. I spent a lot of time on youtube watching the old gixxerkart videos.

Looks scary and that's a level of engineering that I'm 100% not capable of pulling off... I don't even have basic fabrication abilities, and since the V65 is shaft-driven I'd have to do some serious work to make that possible in a RR configuration... don't want to think about how much work would be involved in putting the engine up front.

I'm a little big for gokarts, anyway, physically. The thing would look like an Ariel Atom by the time I was done with it.

V65 Sabres are pretty sought after still. Are there ANY parts still good? If it was me I'd ebay the individual parts. You might be surprised at what prices they could fetch, even in not-so-great condition.

If you don't want to fix it yourself and the motor ran and the tranny shifted with no problems, put an ad on CL and sell it. Some guys will buy them for the tranny because 2nd gear was a problem spot for those bikes.

I had an '84 V65 Sabre and the thing was a beast and the 6th gear over drive was a thrill on the highway.

V65 Sabre were and are still awesome bikes.

Most of what you listed should not cost a whole lot to replace. I had to do the carbs twice (don't ask) on my old Shadow and I did all the fluids at the same time. I think it all cost me around $500 for a complete go over (selling to my nephew).

What makes you think it needs electrical other than say, a battery?

V65 Sabre were and are still awesome bikes.

Most of what you listed should not cost a whole lot to replace. I had to do the carbs twice (don't ask) on my old Shadow and I did all the fluids at the same time. I think it all cost me around $500 for a complete go over (selling to my nephew).

What makes you think it needs electrical other than say, a battery?

Progressive instrumentation death (gear indicator/speedo/instrument lights/tach) followed by shutdown at speed, no response to compression/"pop" starts while I was trying not to crash it, char marks on the main starter fuse leading from the engine case... once I see melted, blackened plastic, I think electrical :p

To clarify - I guess the problem is not so much the cost.

The problem is that any parts I find, for the most part, are 1984 vintage. So there's nothing to guarantee that once I fix something, it's not going to blow on me a week later.

I mean... Honda certainly isn't manufacturing any new wiring harnesses for my ride, unfortunately. I know that a master cylinder is a master cylinder, and there's always aftermarket for suspensions and such... but I lost a side-cover... do you know how stinking expensive that shit is!?!?

... but I lost a side-cover... do you know how stinking expensive that shit is!?!?

Yes, as my Shadow was an '85 and I had a sidecover fly off once. I gave up trying to find a replacement.

Similarly, I also had a side cover fall off and get scratched up and Ducati dinged me $450 for a side cover on my 2008 Hyper.

If you could solve for the electrical issue, the Sabre with that huge and killer motor would make an excellent project bike. Sell it, some one will give it a good home.