anyone here make bbq?

oldschoolsdime92

It's been on there 5-6 hours now. I upped the temp to about 325 a couple hours ago. We went with plan b for dinner tonight, and we can have the brisket for tomorrow. I need the brisket for my chili anyway!

It's only 150 degrees now, but seems to be pretty tender when probing it with another thermometer.

I'm really pumped to hear how it turns out.

Well, I can tell you it smells pretty good!

I learned a couple things about smoking brisket. First, don't plan a dinner until you've tried it out before, make sure the cooking times will align with your plan, and I mean REAL cooking times, not projected! Second, doing things the way I have it setup takes more heat than I expected.

It's warming up nicely, and I'll be slicing it soon.

I learned a couple things about smoking brisket. First, don't plan a dinner until you've tried it out before, make sure the cooking times will align with your plan, and I mean REAL cooking times, not projected! Second, doing things the way I have it setup takes more heat than I expected.

A grill certainly won't hold heat as well as a smoker, but its a great way to get your feet wet and figure out if its a hobby your really interested in. It sounds like your learning well! I am slowly getting cook times more accurate , allowing for better sides than potato chips !

and remember, you can NEVER rush a brisket.

Plus, you could have made the most perfect brisket in the world, but if you cut it incorrectly, it will turn out horrible. I had made a brisket, and a friend was over, and decided to "help out" by cutting the brisket up(I had set it in the kitchen to rest).....they cut with the grain, instead of against, and I had to take the whole thing and make chopped beef.....

Well, the flavor is decent, but it wasn't the "fall apart" tender that I want to achieve. I did cut it properly, it just really needed to cook longer. It will work just fine for the chili though. Maybe I will try again next weekend, using a little more heat, and allowing more time.

I also, didn't let it sit out to warm up some while I was preparing like I think I should have.

Lessons learned, ready to try again. May be buying a smoker though.

IMAG0002.jpg

Edited by jporter12

Well, the flavor is decent, but it wasn't the "fall apart" tender that I want to achieve. I did cut it properly, it just really needed to cook longer. It will work just fine for the chili though. Maybe I will try again next weekend, using a little more heat, and allowing more time.

I also, didn't let it sit out to warm up some while I was preparing like I think I should have.

Lessons learned, ready to try again. May be buying a smoker though.

IMAG0002.jpg

Not to be critical, but did you trim the fat off the brisket before cooking?

I've found that if the fat isn't there, it tends to not be as tender.

Not to be critical, but did you trim the fat off the brisket before cooking?

I've found that if the fat isn't there, it tends to not be as tender.

No, I left it there, and judging from my results, I'm definitely going to keep it there next time. I've heard that leaving the fat on it, with the fat side up will help keep it from drying out. The bottom side was nice and juicy, and I saw lots of juices under the fat that was on top.

I'm pretty sure I did things right, just with my setup I needed the heat to be higher than I though. The bad thing about the heat being higher, the water pan needs filled much more often, due to placement. I have an idea to help with that, though!

My next project is chili, since its cooling down outside and I can have a fire without melting my face off. I picked up this...

IMAG1750.jpg

I am going to make my hamburger into a loaf and smoke it on the smoker and while that's smoking , have the rest of the chili over the fire. Once the meat is done, I will add it to the chili and allow it to cook until dinner time over the open fire. Everything tastes better cooked on fire.... Right ?

I am going to make my hamburger into a loaf and smoke it on the smoker and while that's smoking , have the rest of the chili over the fire. Once the meat is done, I will add it to the chili and allow it to cook until dinner time over the open fire. Everything tastes better cooked on fire.... Right ?

Hell yes!! ANYTHING tastes better cooked over a fire imo! If you have a cast iron "Dutch Oven" ( no, not like in bed:D ) you could have cornbread baking under the fire/coals while the chili is simmering over the flame.....yumminess completed:hungry: