I want to ride the 555.

JackFlash

I'm thinking of a ride, down the 555. I checked the Google map and it seems to start in Zanesville and goes to Belpre, on the Ohio river.

My idea is to make a long day of it by leaving early, riding down, finding a sit down restaurant and getting a meal, either in Belpre or across the river in Parkersburg, and then buzzing back up north to home.

I don't know when, but I want good weather for the ride. I can do it on a Tuesday or Wednesday (my regular days off) or I can use a vacation day if I get approval in advance.

Anyone with any knowledge of this route, please give me your insight, and share your experiences about taking this ride.

If anyone is interested in riding along, that would be great. I'm not so interested in a brisk pace as I am in enjoying a relaxed pace.

Feedback please?

Please take it easy on that road. Its more narrow then many others around there. It is a very technical road and needs to be taken seriously. Semis tend to throw gravel up off the shoulders because they take the corners to tight. My suggestion , get more time and miles in the saddle before you ride it. However it is your choice.

sent from my galaxy s 3 using tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback, Gunner, and everyone else. It looks like gravel is a real hazard.

I'll check the map for that area, 600zz. ..... I just did. It looks like a 12.1 mile stretch. That could be a long way if it's on gravel.

With a leisurely pace that mostly respects the posted speed limits, would you recommend a different route if the gravelly part was avoided?

Edited by JackFlash

Thanks for the feedback, Gunner.

With a leisurely pace that mostly respects the posted speed limits, would you still recommend a different route?

The section i mentioned above wld be best suited for really low speed or a dirt bike. :) out side of that its a pretty fun and scary ride. Very technical and needs to b respected, but fun non the less. :)

The corners aren't nice like a decent road would have. Reducing radius, breaking up hill or down, blind turns right after hills where you can't see. All can be a surprise and tricky at times. Those type of corners are where riders get kissed by the road. Corner signs aren't standardized, and may mean nothing, or may mean corner that people crash on.

edit: If you see really big arrows on corners, even if no suggested speed, it's a bad tricky corner that people crash on. (In cars even.)

Generally the three digit roads can be like this. The two digit state roads are much smoother corners, generally. And 555 is basically an old wagon trail from Zanesville to the Ohio River. So they paved the road they had there already. Even following an experienced rider on 555 might not work out. What will work is to take it easy, and use your line of sight to make decisions. Don't go until you can see the line out of a corner. The same rule for over the top of a hill, if you can't see, then slow down. Concentrate on what you are doing, or stop and rest.

The part of 555 that is South of 78 seems much easier to me. But the traffic and congestion picks up as you get near the Ohio River. And watch for buggies and farm gear on the road anywhere on 555.

What I remember, is one corner going North right after a little hill where you couldn't see the corner ahead. If too fast, and miss the corner, you'd bounce off the top of a mobile home below the road, and fly who knows how far down into a valley.

edit: back... and trees, treat trees along the side of the road with respect. They don't freakin' move when you hit them.

Edited by ReconRat

Kasler's Country Kitchen in Amesville is a nice place to stop and eat. About 10-12 miles off of 555 on 550 West. If it's still open. Dunno, so many small kitchens have shut down.

Kasler's Country Kitchen

10 State Street, Amesville, OH

(740) 448-7800

Between 78 & chesterhill is the worst chipseal I've ever seen, loose gravel everywhere. Hopefully they pave it soon, otherwise avoid that section.

I road this to last month better ride is 26 to senaca lake roads on the other side of 77 are in better shape

The triple nickle is my favorite road in OH. Take it easy if you think the road is going to go right it'll probably go left. Don't ride too close to the yellow line (if its there) cars + trucks often go left of center. Also its harvest time which means more mud + gravel on the road from the farmers making a living.

From everything I've heard, I have zero interest in 555. There is few things I hate more than gravel on a ride and it takes all the fun out of it for me. Plus I've been shown some (again from what I'm told) far better roads in Ohio so I'll stick to those

I'm thinking of a ride, down the 555. Feedback please?
555 is one of the best mc routes in ohio. columbus - 555 loop is a all day ride for me. i usually stop in marietta for lunch break. then, Rt.550 from marietta - athens, Rt.33 back to the capital city.

I was last on 555 August & these folks speak the truth. Most of it is utter crap. Lots of ball bearing style gravel in the corners. There are many other better choices. (78,83,377 etc, etc). If you have to ride 555 don't say we didn't warn you.

555 sucks, even if it were perfect pavement, it's laid out like a fucking drunk built the curves.

It's in our back yard, that's all it has going for it. If it were in WV, it would be a miserable county highway that no one in their right mind would make a destination.

Great feedback. Thanks everyone. I think I'll go have a look at it and I can always turn around and go a different way. I was hoping it would make a good ride based on what the map shows and some of the YouTube videos I've seen.

I was planning on a leisurely pace so that I could enjoy some of the scenery before all the leaves are on the ground. I guess I'll know more when I get there. Wednesday looks like a good day to ride, plus I'm off work that day.

please take someone with you or at least tell someone where your heading and when youll be there. As others pointed out, people tend to go over the yellow there a lot, and its nothing for someone to pull away as you go sailing over the edge.

Great feedback. Thanks everyone. I think I'll go have a look at it and I can always turn around and go a different way. I was hoping it would make a good ride based on what the map shows and some of the YouTube videos I've seen.

I was planning on a leisurely pace so that I could enjoy some of the scenery before all the leaves are on the ground. I guess I'll know more when I get there. Wednesday looks like a good day to ride, plus I'm off work that day.

Leisurely is good.