Gas... What do you run in your 4 wheeler/dirt bike???

ICECOLD

In my 2 stroke RM125 I like running leaded gas with a higher octane rating. A lot of people claim that it helps with the longevity of the rings and valves, helps with carbon deposit ect. In my 4 strokes though I run 93 or sometimes will put 100 unleaded if I can get it at a good price. Anyone run leaded in their 4 strokes and do you think it helps or hurts a 4 stroke engine? I know with the newer fuel injected bikes it's not good to run it in all the time. Just want to hear some opinions. Thanks.

In my 2 stroke RM125 I like running leaded gas with a higher octane rating. A lot of people claim that it helps with the longevity of the rings and valves, helps with carbon deposit ect. In my 4 strokes though I run 93 or sometimes will put 100 unleaded if I can get it at a good price. Anyone run leaded in their 4 strokes and do you think it helps or hurts a 4 stroke engine? I know with the newer fuel injected bikes it's not good to run it in all the time. Just want to hear some opinions. Thanks.

leaded gas and oxygen sensors dont mix. as far as fuel injection is concerned: leaded is fine as long as theres no o2 sensors present.

the only benefit to a leaded fuel would be the higher octane rating (unless that particular fuel is oxygenated and has other additives, but thats apples to oranges).

the lead deposits on valves and rings.is a myth. lead was a cheap octane boost that was patented by the dupont company. when the patent ran out and the government cracked down, alternatives were found.

that being said, even if there was a lead deposit benefit on valves, wouldnt help your 2stroke much... theyre valveless. youre benefit is higher octane, which isnt neccessarily a performance enhancer, but gives you the ability to build a hotter engine (ie: more compression)

I run 93 + klotz super techniplate in my 2t's and strait 93 in my 4t's

with a 2 stroke, its best to worry about the type of oil an a the mixture. I run mine oil rich at 32:1. its less power but more longevity. you honestly probably couldnt feel the power difference and as long as youre jetted properly, you wont foul plugs.

Sorry... 8oz in 2gal (I'm from Europe, we run 1 in 1... 1oz in 1L on the very safe side LOL)... Gawd dang. Too early in the morning. I like running it a little rich on oil. Keep a spare plug just in case.

Edited by ICECOLD

its cool, figured it was a typo, lol!

Ive had success with my combination running klotz with pump 93 in my two strokes. I had a 02 rm125 i used for harescrambles that had 150 hrs on the top end. im currently building a cr250 gncc bike that I would expect similar to better results. (big bores dont carry the rpm of small bikes, tend to get more motor life).

Similar to you I run 110 leaded in my two-strokes and 93 pump in my four strokes. The race gas for neither the octane or lead, just for jetting consistency and lack of deposits. The 110 leaded won't hurt anything without an O2 sensor or cat, but would probably just be a waste of money in the 4T. Might be in the 2T too, but since my 125 will do a lap and a half on what's in the float bowl, the cost is negligible.

Race gas was also pretty much required when I raced karts and any alcohol content would fail the fuel testing. As has been discussed on here before you pretty much can't get pump without alcohol in it these days.

holy cow! you actually have one? must be one of the 10 made! actually didnt those become atk's newer product line?

Yup! It's a Stars and Stripes special edition. It's a 440 but it gives my buddies 700 raptor a run for its money. ATK took over in 2003 so I got one of the last actual cannondales

If it doesn't ping, it's not necessary. You bubby's and your fancy shmancy gas. :rolleyes:

this is a true statement.

you should actually run the lowest rating possible.

running a higher octane where its not required is not only a waste, but can actually hurt performance.

remember, octane rating essentially is gasolines resistance to ignite. the higher rated, the more resistant.

the reason some claim smoother running and other such claims is usually due to the better additive package in the "plus" and "premium" blends.

however, I wouldnt recommend running lower octane rated fuel than what your manufacturer recomends.