The EPIC Ohio Group Ride

NinjaDoc

"Drop and Sweep" is an excellent method to control a group ride. Properly executed you won't find a better way to keep a group together and organized.

Having said that "Drop and Sweep" is a totally inappropriate tactic to use on a sport bike ride. It works great with scooters, cruisers and Goldwings that are out sightseeing but is a clusterfuck with sport bikes especially with a vast diversity of skill levels.

It ends up putting people in from of others that shouldn't be. Most groups settle in from fastest riders to slower riders. This gives gaps of appropriate distances; it allows the slower riders to see what the rider in front of them is doing and allows the group to reform at stops safely. When you put faster riders behind slower riders they tend to crowd the slower riders which makes them nervous or makes them go faster than they should be because they don't want to hold others up both are uncomfortable and the latter is unsafe. In some cases it encourages passing which should be a no no. I know having a faster rider in front can sometimes suck the slower riders into trouble but that's where picking the right groups and skill levels come in. You want the guy in front of you to be slightly faster not can't keep him in sight faster.

Keeping the group sizes down to maximum 10 riders allows us to work the groups in a typical sport bike ride. If we want the whole group to ride together and not organize by skill level the ‘Ride and Sweep’ method is the only option. I personally am not interested in going to the nice roads to parade around them.

Just my 2 cents but you might want to look into any local laws about the drop and sweep. I went on a poker run last year and the road capitans called all the local law in the countys we were going through. All but one did not have a problem with it. They said would ticket anyone that impeeded traffic. So beware

Is it geared down or what? I can push my folks 125cc scooter close to that...downhill of course.

no, it just gets to a point where it feels like there should be a 6th gear and its not comfortable, it can go up to 80 but after a while if feels like youre just riding it too hard

no, it just gets to a point where it feels like there should be a 6th gear and its not comfortable, it can go up to 80 but after a while if feels like youre just riding it too hard

He should be fine in the slow group, unless he weighs 350 and the bike pukes out uphill

Can already see the dates pop up in weather forecast, No matter what strongly believe its gonna be a warm sunny day and with all the people wishing, it will happen for sure. :D

Time to get the bikes ready, kick this thing into gear and we sure gonna have a massive turn out if the weather cooperates. Numbers might reach over 75, needing us to have at least 7- 8 groups for sure.

drop and sweep will be hard to implement even tho a good routine, each micro group of 8-10 manage them self and things will be easy just like last two years i guess.

Guys from michigan were asking about good places to grab a bite around hocking hills. any one who rides around here freq to give some suggestions? littlecarbbigsmiles where are you? need help

NinjaDoc is correct, each group that forms itself can decide which way they would like to conduct their group. We will have cruisers there and maybe some scooters, I might even be on my scooter if I don't have my bike back together from winter maintenance that I didn't start until Friday.

picture.php?albumid=412&pictureid=17380

picture.php?albumid=412&pictureid=17381

Edited by Uncle Punk

is that bag fused with the bike :p never seen it come off

if i have my bike back together by next weekend i will try and do a trial run of the route, plus down and back from neo to see if this can be done in one day easily etc.

Still dont have the leads and sweeps worked out, need more volunteers :(

these are the following group, i would stress start one group down so that to avoid mistakes, no egos here, no one will remember whtr we rode fast or not, but every one will remember who crashed :D

The Groups

Always start one group below what you feel you ride. Meaning if you think your fast, start with medium fast group and if you are comfortable move to the fast group during gas break after letting the lead and sweep know. Better to be safe than sorry. Remember we might be riding roads very new to you.

FAST : one group

-Usually 70mph on the straight and 25-30 mph over the posted limit of curve.

-The people who belong to the group know they belong to this group, they dont think they belong here.

-Dont jump in here unless you been riding with such fellows for some time. eg: UP, Midgettod, Hutch, Core rides

Medium-Fast: two groups

-65-70mph on the straight and 20-25 over the posted limit opf curve.

- This is the usual fast rides some group rides do, still dangerously fast

-Jump in here if you been riding for a while and is comfortable at these paces on most roads

Medium : two groups

-65 mph on the straight and 15-20 over the posted limit opf curve.

- This is the everyday regular group rides pace,

-Jump in here if you been riding for a while and is comfortable at these paces on most roads

Slow : two groups

-60 mph or around posted limit on the straight and upto 10 over the posted limit of curve.

- This is the a very comfortable yet fun group ride,

-Jump in here if you like doing friendly fun rides and also new riders must join here

-The last two rides most people rode this group showing zero ego issues and they had most fun,

- No ego in both years kept our rides with 0 casuality

Cruiser and heavy touring: one group

-All the mammoth bikes and cruisers

-They enjoy the road and own the road at their own pace

-Made sperate group just in case there is enough numbers

-more than free to join any of the above group based on their own preference.

I'd like to give this a shot if my bike's ready. I'd likely be in the slow or medium group. I haven't ridden these routes, but been riding since 2008 on the street. No track days yet, but hopefully doing my first here in May or June.

I would be happy to be a sweep "tail" for the medium or medium fast group, let me know if you need me.

sure, i will put you down for medium or medium fast

Need more leads guys, people who can remember the route and stuff plz volunteer :)

Hi everybody! One more for slow :)

I'll probably be on my 250 as the 750 is still getting the 'wrench. I've not been riding very long, and only solo so I'm excited to meet new people and learn things... but maybe a little anxious too.

Since we're neighbors, click the link below if you are interested in riding

to Logan with us.

sure, i will put you down for medium or medium fast

Need more leads guys, people who can remember the route and stuff plz volunteer :)

Put me for medium or slow at tail instead "if available", I am slowly getting back into my groove after shoulder surgery......so I don't wanna push it too much just yet. :cool: