What do you think of these Jeeps?

JStump

I love Dodge/ Jeep styling, but I don't view them as very dependable/ reliable/ quality vehicles, which is too bad.

Oh, and that whole bailout thing....

This. I almost bought a Grand Cherokee but their terrible reputation for reliability changed my mind. Also, the first one blatantly rips off the design of the F150 Raptor.

I gotta call bullshit on the Dodge reliability slam.

My '09 Ram had 107k miles on it in three years with just regular maintenance items required and it's still running strong now that it's no longer my work vehicle.

This may not be a good apples-to-apples analogy, but mannnnny years ago, on our honeymoon, my wife and I rented a Chrysler Sebring (I think...) convertible while in FL. We decided to run over to Cocoa Beach from Orlando one afternoon, and on the way over, it started to rain. We put the top up, and continued on our way. We started feeling splashes/ drops/ moisture on our faces. Not only was the front edge of the convertible not sealing, but water was coming in around the windshield (between the glass and the seal). Oh, and the car only had 700 miles on it.

Lots may have changed since 1992. Dunno. Never had any other brand do anything like that to me, though.

Two neighbors had jeeps (one a Liberty and the other a basic Cherokee with the awesome straight six). The Liberty seems to do okay, but the Cherokee guy got tired of working on his. Had the dash out at least twice in 18 mos for bad heater cores. Then it was little sniggly stuff. Same guy had two Chrysler mini vans, and both were junnnnkkkkk. Don't know why he kept buying them. Now he has a Civic and a Pilot, and loves them.

Boss at one job had a Grand Cherokee, and it was ALWAYS in the shop.

My '09 Ram had 107k miles on it in three years with just regular maintenance items required and it's still running strong now that it's no longer my work vehicle.

You got a "Wednesday vehicle".

Or one made in Mexico.

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep have the designs I like, by far the best looking American cars IMO however I had a bad experience with my last MOPAR product (2006 Dodge Magnum). I LOVED the looks of the Magnum, but it suffered transmission issues, rear end issues, etc. I actually miss the Mag, wouldn't mind finding an inexpensive R/T model...just wish they were reliable. I may have just had a lemon because I have heard nothing but praise for the 300/Charger which is essentially the same car just different body style. Those Jeep's are sick in the pic, hopefully they bring some fuel efficient diesel models over soon like they sell in the European market.

i traded a '94 Grand Cherokee with 200k on it in 2004 (it was mechanically sound, no rust, but the wife du jour said it "needed to go" :nono:), the Ram 2500 that replaced it has 140k on it now and is also just fine, mechanically and cosmetically.

maybe i'm lucky, i dunno. change the oil and filter every 4 months or so with mobil 1, sneeze in the tires, new paper $3 air filter every year.

i've had 3 audi cars, will only buy another if i can find a 1 year old model with an 'audi-assured' (their version of certified pre-owned) warranty. too much fancy crap on them that can AND WILL break. one of my co-loafers at work is prez. of the M-B club of central ohio, and he has the same issues with his M-B cars - has 3 of 'em. they seem to go in the shop at least 3 times/year.

never owned a jap car, only drove one once. next summer when it's 'new vehicle time', may have to give one a shot.

Edited by jblosser

How is the body holding up? I noticed that newer dodge truck rot out very fast for the price they charge. I have seen 05 trucks with more rust then my father-in-laws old 89 dodge.

How is the body holding up? I noticed that newer dodge truck rot out very fast for the price they charge. I have seen 05 trucks with more rust then my father-in-laws old 89 dodge.

05-06 was a bad year I think, in-laws I'd rusted over wheel well. They had it fixed and it is doing it again.

Plenty of turds come from Ford and GM as well, Chrysler still gets the bad rep at times from the much earlier years. When I worked for GE I went through 4 Chrysler town & country vans over 10 years, never had any issues other than replacing a few bushings in the front ends.......and I ran the piss out of those vans. The Ford and GM vans were unreliable total pieces of shit, hence why GE stopped using them for fleet vehicles. My Dad owned several Chrysler products over the years with little to no issues at all.

The body and frame are holding up well considering the salt mixture used up here in NEO with no rust issues.