unOFFICIAL SPRING 2014 EPIC RIDE - May 18th

DerekClouser

I'm not a cold weather rider and this morning's

wind chill at 60 MPH would have been 36º F.

Some may enjoy it.  I do not.  Sorry to have

missed you guys, but we'll meet again.  Promise.

What.......you did not even go after all that you contributed to this? You need better gear Jack plain and simple, and those temps were temporary. No excuse's if you plan on attending my rally this year, motorcyclists adjust/overcome/conquer/.....git er done old boy!!!!!

On a side note, glad to hear the event was a success and that everyone made it home safely!

^^This^^ 

It's all about layers if you don't have heated gear - just be sure to have a backpack or luggage of some sort to stash the extra clothing once you warm up

Tracy, you rock. That was some real shit weather we rode through and you handled your business like a veteran rider. I'm very impressed. Also, god on you for knowing your limitations. That's the characteristics of a quality rider.

Thanks Paul. I was hesitant to go on this ride for a couple reasons but I'm glad I sucked it up & went. I didn't anticipate leading part of our group thru fog & admit I was glad when you jumped ahead of me at one point. Needless to say I got ALOT of twisty road practice, enough for at least a month or so. :)

I may have made a suggestion or two that was considered.

It appears everything was in good hands and ran well, and

I'm pleased with that.  I'm especially pleased that no shiny

bike parts got scuffed up and that those frozen smiles,

upon arrival, were warm smiles on the way home.

I'm thinking about a ride down to the Big Musky Bucket on

the weekend of the Gap trip, for those of us who can't get

away to slay the Dragon.  Still thinking about it.  Let you know.

Just down to the big ole bucket? We can do much better than that Jack, I am thinking more like Marietta and hitting the best roads in the state. I love riding 78 and 83, but we have got to get you out venturing more of what this state has to offer in terms of amazing roads. And go get yourself some better gear that is flexible for the conditions, some heated grips are awfully nice ad cheap too. ;)

DAC, I didn't mean to blow you off at the meetup. I forgot who you were. After I was on the way home, "Oh, shit. I know who that is!" :(

Sorry, brother. I'm a cunt.

No worries.  I was kind of milling all over the place listening to people tell lies - yours were some of my favorites - but I don't remember the details.  I'm becoming a bit of a senile bastard.  Who the fuck are you again?

We almost creamed a horse and buggy. :(

Did you see that horse practically buck the Amish buggy when we came up on it? The next 4 or 5 buggies after that I shifted up to 5th gear and kept her at 20 mph just so my crossplane didn't freak them out. I think it was still loud. I know a field of sheep took off when we came up on them.

That's right boys and girls the R1's Siren song scares women, children, sheep, and Amish horses.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I wanted to pass you a few miles back, but I didn't want to step on your toes. After a while I figured you could use a tail light to follow through the clouds. Sorry I waited so long before zooming ahead of you.

Psshh, I'm not that particular about my toes. I'm used to being passed, left behind, etc. I don't mind it in the least.

That's right boys and girls the R1's Siren song scares women, children, sheep, and Amish horses.

I didn't hear it because i was ahead of you and I can usually only hear my dirtbike exhaust. But when you left with the med-fast group I heard it.. wow, yeah, scary. :)

Thanks Paul. I was hesitant to go on this ride for a couple reasons but I'm glad I sucked it up & went. I didn't anticipate leading part of our group thru fog & admit I was glad when you jumped ahead of me at one point. Needless to say I got ALOT of twisty road practice, enough for at least a month or so. :)

You did good, nice lines through the corners, slowing down ahead of time when you were unsure. You will be fine as you step up the speed which will happen with practice which gives you the confidence to do it. You are a very aware rider, you saw everything that was happening on the freeway long before it happened.

• Upvote 2

You did good, nice lines through the corners, slowing down ahead of time when you were unsure. You will be fine as you step up the speed which will happen with practice which gives you the confidence to do it. You are a very aware rider, you saw everything that was happening on the freeway long before it happened.

Thank you and thanks for letting me join you. I feel like we had a mini epic ride, and stopping at the Big Muskie was a nice break, except for that deep gravel. There would have been no way I could have lasted thru everything. I was beat when we jumped on the highway.

Thank you and thanks for letting me join you. I feel like we had a mini epic ride, and stopping at the Big Muskie was a nice break, except for that deep gravel. There would have been no way I could have lasted thru everything. I was beat when we jumped on the highway.

Yea, that gravel was a shocker having just been there a week ago. I had my hands full keeping it up and no free hands or time to warn you. That was messed up, it was like quicksand.

Yea, that gravel was a shocker having just been there a week ago. I had my hands full keeping it up and no free hands or time to warn you. That was messed up, it was like quicksand.

Yeah that was the first time I actually thought I was going to dump the bike. Not sure how that didn't happen. I just kept repeating "use the rear brake" over & over in my head.

Yeah that was the first time I actually thought I was going to dump the bike. Not sure how that didn't happen. I just kept repeating "use the rear brake" over & over in my head.

That's funny, because I was saying 'stay on the throttle' over and over. It would appear either way is the right choice.

For feedback purposes, did anyone think of something that we could implement into future rides that would make things much better?  I know we tried to group people into sections and I think that went a little better for organizing...

I definitely think we need to try and find more leads for the groups... more people are willing to last minute sweep if needed but we had a bit of trouble finding leads for the groups, even at the event. 

I brought "Hello my name is" stickers, but totally forgot to bring them out. I think that would have been useful for a lot of people who are A) either to shy to introduce themselves B) Reinforcing people's name with username to a face.  I met a few people who told me their username and I forgot it 10 minutes later lol...

• Upvote 1

For feedback purposes,

I brought "Hello my name is" stickers, but totally forgot to bring them out. I think that would have been useful for a lot of people who are A) either to shy to introduce themselves B) Reinforcing people's name with username to a face. I met a few people who told me their username and I forgot it 10 minutes later lol...

Definitely the name tags, I wondered about those but didn't think to ask. I'm terrible with names and forgot nearly everyone's except tall Tracy, who -is- her name lol.

I had a great time, and can't believe I have talked myself out of going the last two years.  The ride itself was fantastic having never ridden down there before.  

It was also a good barometer of how well my PT is going on my knees (I need to do more).  Hopefully I will work myself into better shape for the next go around.

I had a great time, and can't believe I have talked myself out of going the last two years. The ride itself was fantastic having never ridden down there before.

It's definitely awesome riding down there, wife and I have been going the last few seasons. That place will definitely work your forearms and legs if you like getting off the bike in the corners.

Which Busa? Orange or white? If you were on the white Busa, I believe we chatted at the fuel stop in Malta ( we had the same SS jacket, I was riding the only ZX14 ) and your wife's Raider was a sweet ride too.

What I cant believe is you've only avg 3 posts a yearsince '09! Jeesh, should call you Lurka not Omega :D

Edited by Hellmutt