unOFFICIAL SPRING 2014 EPIC RIDE - May 18th

DerekClouser

Definitely the name tags, I wondered about those but didn't think to ask. I'm terrible with names and forgot nearly everyone's except tall Tracy, who -is- her name lol.

Yeah she is easy to remember.

It's definitely awesome riding down there, wife and I have been going the last few seasons. That place will definitely work your forearms and legs if you like getting off the bike in the corners.

Which Busa? Orange or white? If you were on the white Busa, I believe we chatted at the fuel stop in Malta ( we had the same SS jacket, I was riding the only ZX14 ) and your wife's Raider was a sweet ride too.

What I cant believe is you've only avg 3 posts a yearsince '09! Jeesh, should call you Lurka not Omega :D

I was on the Orange Busa.  

Yeah, you could say I'm the ultimate lurker.  Hope to start changing that.

• Downvote 1

I should be more diligent about introducing myself

^^This^^ I did manage to intro myself with new folks from our side of the state before we got to Logan, but once we got to the meet spot I was all focused with why my GPS was failing and why neither of our phones would allow Google maps to initiate nav for the route. I should've commandeered Dan to get me squared away.

I wasn't really comfortable til I was following Pauly.

I'm not good at riding with new people and I have followed him before and know what he's gonna do and that he won't get me into trouble.

Major reason I don't do group rides that I didn't put together. Which has been years.

• Upvote 1

:( Sorry about that. I was in your group for the first half of the ride. I should be more diligent about introducing myself...

I was impressed with the way you handled that little Ninja. Most excellent riding. I was near the back of your group, because I didn't really know where to jump in. I ride with Tpoppa, Roamr and jschaff a bunch and wanted to ride with some new-to-me folks. Unfortunately, I was concerned about a couple riders in your group and didn't want to pass them or crowd them...

Edit: I do believe I shook your hand before I rolled out of Logan, though. If I didn't, I'll take my shame and wear it like a man. I did thank your bigger half for the fun ride. You guys did great.

I did meet you, right before we left the shopping center (sorry, hellmutt helped me remember).

Thanks for the kind words, this is my 4th season and my 2nd on this bike. I have a lot to learn... I really need a track bike and do a bunch more tracks days :D. I completely understand your concern that is why I was behind hellmutt and very grateful Shadyone volunteered to sweep.

Edited by snot

:( Unfortunately, I was concerned about a couple riders in your group and didn't want to pass them or crowd them.

Hopefully a black 300 wasn't one of them.  I'm always willing to learn more.  Feel free to shoot me a PM if you saw room for improvement :D

Definitely the name tags, I wondered about those but didn't think to ask. I'm terrible with names and forgot nearly everyone's except tall Tracy, who -is- her name lol.

Yeah she is easy to remember.

It was really nice to meet both of you. And nice to finally meet other women that ride. I didn't really get the chance to walk around & meet anyone else, I get social anxiety especially with large groups of people. Hopefully by the next ride I'll find a way to get over it.

Thanks Paul. I was hesitant to go on this ride for a couple reasons but I'm glad I sucked it up & went. I didn't anticipate leading part of our group thru fog & admit I was glad when you jumped ahead of me at one point. Needless to say I got ALOT of twisty road practice, enough for at least a month or so. :)

Tracy, it was nice meeting you.  I think you did fine getting down there especially with frozen fingers and a fogged over helmet!  i have never ridden through fog like that before.  It was nasty.  I had to take my glasses of and ride with my visor open.  Long rides take some time to get used to.  Keep on riding and you will get there!, :waaa:

Did you see that horse practically buck the Amish buggy when we came up on it? The next 4 or 5 buggies after that I shifted up to 5th gear and kept her at 20 mph just so my crossplane didn't freak them out. I think it was still loud. I know a field of sheep took off when we came up on them.

That's right boys and girls the R1's Siren song scares women, children, sheep, and Amish horses.

That thing sounds awesome!  I heard it for the first time at the bike races at Mid Ohio and have wanted to ride one ever since.

For feedback purposes, did anyone think of something that we could implement into future rides that would make things much better?  I know we tried to group people into sections and I think that went a little better for organizing...

I definitely think we need to try and find more leads for the groups... more people are willing to last minute sweep if needed but we had a bit of trouble finding leads for the groups, even at the event. 

I brought "Hello my name is" stickers, but totally forgot to bring them out. I think that would have been useful for a lot of people who are A) either to shy to introduce themselves B) Reinforcing people's name with username to a face.  I met a few people who told me their username and I forgot it 10 minutes later lol...

Yeah, i even bought a marker at a gas station stop because someone forgot to bring one.  Too funny.  I think it would be a good idea to use them for the fall ride to make it easier to recognize the OR name with the face.

Glad I got to join in with the Med-Fast group for a little bit. It was too cold for my sensibilities this morning, but meeting you guys in McConnelsville worked out great.

Sorry for the route confusion in Somerset. I thought you guys wanted me to head to 664, not 668.

Either way, nice to get out and ride with you guys!

I was behind you on 668 in the blue FZ1.  I could tell you dig that route.  Pretty smooth through all the turns.  Need to meet up for the fall ride.

just came home safe, except my mind and hand is numb from the 10000 mile slab

Glad to hear you got home safe.  Great to see you again Doc.  Look forward to hanging with you on the next one.

Going to apologize for the long post in advance.

Thanks to everyone who helped with inputs on putting this ride together. All the help through this thread really made it run about as smooth as possible. Hopefully, we will continue to learn and improve on each of the major rides that we put together moving forward.  Most importantly we had no crashes from any group which is incredible!! I'm glad everyone stayed safe and was able to make it home because that it was it most important. 

Dizzledan, pleasure meeting you and thanks for taking all the pictures. It made the media side of things a lot easier knowing you had it under control.  I wanted to take more video on the drift, but with trying to organize and getting the t-shirts out, I didn't get as much time trying to do that as I would have liked.

Isaac's Papa, pleasure meeting you as well. Thanks for being helpful when tracy's hands almost fell off. She looked really sad and you put a nice smile on her face when she needed it.  Also thank you for helping mojocho find his way when we got left on the way down lol.

Whaler, thanks for the sweep of the group. Sorry I made a few wrong turns but no one went down, most everyone seemed very happy with our pace, and we enjoyed ourselves. Job well done.

JSChaf, thanks for leading the NE group down and leading the fast group. I look forward to the next time you can leave me in the dust playing catch up.  Was the ticket for speeding or going down the closed bridge on wrong side of the road? I ask, cause I've thought to just romp down that side to avoid the detour.

Wolfman1, excellent ride back home. That last stretch of 83 from New Concord to Wooster was very enjoyable.

NinjaDoc - Nivin, thanks for making the journey to come visit us with something you created. I'm more than honored to continue helping keep this ride going.  Only great things are to come in future Epic Rides. Also thanks for the support with getting this together. It definitely gave me some credibility when you backed some of my ideas, and that was much appreciated.

Hellmut/Snot - Thanks for organizing the Dayton group. It made it much easier to organize knowing you would have all your group on the same page. Pleasure meeting you as well.

Mojocho - Thanks for not bowling into my bike at the red light of construction and the kind words you sent to me in the PM when you got home. I look forward to the next time we get to ride.

To anyone else that I met on the ride, I apologize for not mentioning you by name (calina, cdub, etc.)but it was a pleasure meeting you and hopefully I'll see you at the next group ride or the next Epic Ride in the fall!

Awesome ride man!!  Thanks for taking the bull by the horns and seeing this thing through.  I am looking forward to the next one.  I think I wore my wheels out going up 83 on the way back.  We were roll'n buddy!! :waaa:

Tracy, it was nice meeting you.  I think you did fine getting down there especially with frozen fingers and a fogged over helmet!  i have never ridden through fog like that before.  It was nasty.  I had to take my glasses of and ride with my visor open.  Long rides take some time to get used to.  Keep on riding and you will get there!, :waaa:

Thank you, it was good to meet you as well. That fog just plain old sucked!

I may have to ask Santa for heated grips, or heated gear, or both. :)

Then, the best advice I can give you is to step away from the Japanese motorcycle. You owe it to yourself to ride an Italian. ;)

Italian supermodels are beautiful for sure. And emotional, moody, demanding. Always want expensive accessories. Just never enough.

Once you go Asian you never go back...

... Wait what are we taking about.

• Upvote 2

Heated gear is for pussies. Steve McQueen didn't have heated gear. He rode like man, smoked, drank, whored, pretty sure he shit logs the size of Winnebagos.

Wet soggy pants... That's a real badge of honor...unless you're 3 years old. Then it's just sad.

• Upvote 2

Thank you, it was good to meet you as well. That fog just plain old sucked!

Cycle gear has a massive sale on freeze out stuff. 80% off. I bought these freeze out pants and they worked phenomenal. They are like thermal with wind breaker. Was perfect under my riding pants. I honestly. Want Togo back and buy the freeze out for your hands. Pants are normally like 59 and got em for 20

Cycle gear has a massive sale on freeze out stuff. 80% off. I bought these freeze out pants and they worked phenomenal. They are like thermal with wind breaker. Was perfect under my riding pants. I honestly. Want Togo back and buy the freeze out for your hands. Pants are normally like 59 and got em for 20

They for big man sizes in that stuff? I grew out if my under armor lol

Heated gear is for pussies. Steve McQueen didn't have heated gear. He rode like man, smoked, drank, whored, pretty sure he shit logs the size of Winnebagos.

Wet soggy pants... That's a real badge of honor...unless you're 3 years old. Then it's just sad.

Well if Steve McQueen didn't need it... :)

Wait, I don't really want to be like him, I just don't want my hands to fall off. And I've had the wet soggy pants from riding in the rain, it was pretty awful.

Well if Steve McQueen didn't need it... :)

Wait, I don't really want to be like him, I just don't want my hands to fall off. And I've had the wet soggy pants from riding in the rain, it was pretty awful.

U were awesome to make that cold ride to the meet, many guys wouldn't ball up for that :thumpsup:

U were awesome to make that cold ride to the meet, many guys wouldn't ball up for that :thumpsup:

Thanks Nivin. It was great to finally meet you. I had fun despite not being a morning person, getting only a few hours sleep, freezing my butt off and the endless fog. It probably doesn't even compare to your ride down from Michigan, that's quite the day trip to say the least.