unOFFICIAL SPRING 2014 EPIC RIDE - May 18th

DerekClouser

Going to apologize for the long post in advance.

Thanks to everyone who helped with inputs on putting this ride together. All the help through this thread really made it run about as smooth as possible. Hopefully, we will continue to learn and improve on each of the major rides that we put together moving forward.  Most importantly we had no crashes from any group which is incredible!! I'm glad everyone stayed safe and was able to make it home because that it was it most important. 

Dizzledan, pleasure meeting you and thanks for taking all the pictures. It made the media side of things a lot easier knowing you had it under control.  I wanted to take more video on the drift, but with trying to organize and getting the t-shirts out, I didn't get as much time trying to do that as I would have liked.

Isaac's Papa, pleasure meeting you as well. Thanks for being helpful when tracy's hands almost fell off. She looked really sad and you put a nice smile on her face when she needed it.  Also thank you for helping mojocho find his way when we got left on the way down lol.

Whaler, thanks for the sweep of the group. Sorry I made a few wrong turns but no one went down, most everyone seemed very happy with our pace, and we enjoyed ourselves. Job well done.

JSChaf, thanks for leading the NE group down and leading the fast group. I look forward to the next time you can leave me in the dust playing catch up.  Was the ticket for speeding or going down the closed bridge on wrong side of the road? I ask, cause I've thought to just romp down that side to avoid the detour.

Wolfman1, excellent ride back home. That last stretch of 83 from New Concord to Wooster was very enjoyable.

NinjaDoc - Nivin, thanks for making the journey to come visit us with something you created. I'm more than honored to continue helping keep this ride going.  Only great things are to come in future Epic Rides. Also thanks for the support with getting this together. It definitely gave me some credibility when you backed some of my ideas, and that was much appreciated.

Hellmut/Snot - Thanks for organizing the Dayton group. It made it much easier to organize knowing you would have all your group on the same page. Pleasure meeting you as well.

Mojocho - Thanks for not bowling into my bike at the red light of construction and the kind words you sent to me in the PM when you got home. I look forward to the next time we get to ride.

To anyone else that I met on the ride, I apologize for not mentioning you by name (calina, cdub, etc.)but it was a pleasure meeting you and hopefully I'll see you at the next group ride or the next Epic Ride in the fall!

Edited by DerekClouser
  • Upvote 2

Where'd you end up breaking off?

I turned around and headed back north at the end of 668. It's one of my favorites, so I was glad to ride it both ways.

On a side note, missed jackflash?

Yeah weird, not sure what why he didn't come. 

I'm not a cold weather rider and this morning's

wind chill at 60 MPH would have been 36º F.

Some may enjoy it.  I do not.  Sorry to have

missed you guys, but we'll meet again.  Promise.

It was a great day for riding. (Except for the $90 toll bridge in New Concord on the way home) Thanks everyone.

That sucks ....Sorry about missing the riders meeting on route 78..........But i think you said take it easy...Thanks for the great ride you guys......Nice meeting everyone.....

Still could of drove over or rode over for the end

Going to apologize for the long post in advance.

Thanks to everyone who helped with inputs on putting this ride together. All the help through this thread really made it run about as smooth as possible. Hopefully, we will continue to learn and improve on each of the major rides that we put together moving forward.  Most importantly we had no crashes from any group which is incredible!! I'm glad everyone stayed safe and was able to make it home because that it was it most important. 

Dizzledan, pleasure meeting you and thanks for taking all the pictures. It made the media side of things a lot easier knowing you had it under control.  I wanted to take more video on the drift, but with trying to organize and getting the t-shirts out, I didn't get as much time trying to do that as I would have liked.

Isaac's Papa, pleasure meeting you as well. Thanks for being helpful when tracy's hands almost fell off. She looked really sad and you put a nice smile on her face when she needed it.  Also thank you for helping mojocho find his way when we got left on the way down lol.

Whaler, thanks for the sweep of the group. Sorry I made a few wrong turns but no one went down, most everyone seemed very happy with our pace, and we enjoyed ourselves. Job well done.

JSChaf, thanks for leading the NE group down and leading the fast group. I look forward to the next time you can leave me in the dust playing catch up.  Was the ticket for speeding or going down the closed bridge on wrong side of the road? I ask, cause I've thought to just romp down that side to avoid the detour.

Wolfman1, excellent ride back home. That last stretch of 83 from New Concord to Wooster was very enjoyable.

NinjaDoc - Nivin, thanks for making the journey to come visit us with something you created. I'm more than honored to continue helping keep this ride going.  Only great things are to come in future Epic Rides. Also thanks for the support with getting this together. It definitely gave me some credibility when you backed some of my ideas, and that was much appreciated.

Hellmut/Snot - Thanks for organizing the Dayton group. It made it much easier to organize knowing you would have all your group on the same page. Pleasure meeting you as well.

Mojocho - Thanks for not bowling into my bike at the red light of construction and the kind words you sent to me in the PM when you got home. I look forward to the next time we get to ride.

To anyone else that I met on the ride, I apologize for not mentioning you by name (calina, cdub, etc.)but it was a pleasure meeting you and hopefully I'll see you at the next group ride or the next Epic Ride in the fall!

Ticket was for wrong side of the closed bridge. Apparently there is a troll under the bridge.

That max speed must have been before meeting up with the med-fast group. I don't recall our group going over the stated speed limit. That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

Exactly!  Glad no one was upset with me leading at the speed limit :)

• Upvote 1

Ticket was for wrong side of the closed bridge. Apparently there is a troll under the bridge.

Yea, I've thought about doing the exact same thing several times going through there... the detour isn't very long but no one ever seems to be coming the other way when I get there... 

• Upvote 1

just over 330 miles total trip yesterday.

It was definitely worth the cold start to meet and ride

Thanks to Dizzledan for the meet at IronPony and ride down, and for the media.

Thanks to Cdubyah for leading the slow group, great job keeping us together through all those stop lights!

Looking forward to the next one!

• Upvote 1

That max speed must have been before meeting up with the med-fast group. I don't recall our group going over the stated speed limit. That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

I don't think the fast group cracked triple digits...at least I didn't.

Did you make it home OK? We are worried about the sprocket holding up.

I just finally made it home. Stopped off at Easton for a movie and when I started her up to ride home neither of my headlights would work. All the other electrical was fine, including that tiny third headlight that is basically useless as far as I can tell.

In a 45 minute long odyssey to find the fuse box I made several exciting discoveries, like that CBRs actually do have tool kits and how dropping a bolt behind a battery is like throwing it out of a airplane.

When I did finally find were good and I buttoned her back up, the headlights worked again like magic. Weeeeee. Stayed in cbus over night though just in case.

Not sure how many miles because I ended up resetting the battery but I know it was between 400 and 500. Not a bad run all in all!

I didn't think we ever dropped below the speed limit.

I didn't do it. Nobody saw me do it. You can't prove anything. ;)

Not entirely accurate, but functionally correct.  My guess is that 99% off officers would issue you a ticket if they saw that top speed on your GPS display.  You would usually win if you fought it though.  They can prove some things, but not where the speeding violation occurred.  That's a venue problem.  The exception to that general 'rule' would be if there's a time-stamp associated with the recorded top speed.  That would/could prove that you had to be in a given jurisdiction when the illegal speed was recorded.  Then you're screwed.

What.......you did not even go after all that you contributed to this? You need better gear Jack plain and simple, and those temps were temporary. No excuse's if you plan on attending my rally this year, motorcyclists adjust/overcome/conquer/.....git er done old boy!!!!!

On a side note, glad to hear the event was a success and that everyone made it home safely!

• Upvote 1

When I did finally find were good

The fuses. The fuses were good.

Anyway it was awesome to meet everyone! I had trouble keeping track of people's screen names and there were several people I didn't get to meet. Boooo. Thanks again Helmutt for leading it was a lot of fun, and AJ for pointing out my eaten up sprocket lol.

• Upvote 1

Not entirely accurate, but functionally correct.  My guess is that 99% off officers would issue you a ticket if they saw that top speed on your GPS display.  You would usually win if you fought it though.  They can prove some things, but not where the speeding violation occurred.  That's a venue problem.  The exception to that general 'rule' would be if there's a time-stamp associated with the recorded top speed.  That would/could prove that you had to be in a given jurisdiction when the illegal speed was recorded.  Then you're screwed.

I thought IP did that at the track :)

• Upvote 2

What.......you did not even go after all that you contributed to this?

You need better gear Jack plain and simple, and those temps were

temporary. No excuse's if you plan on attending my rally this year...

I may have made a suggestion or two that was considered.

It appears everything was in good hands and ran well, and

I'm pleased with that.  I'm especially pleased that no shiny

bike parts got scuffed up and that those frozen smiles,

upon arrival, were warm smiles on the way home.

I'm thinking about a ride down to the Big Musky Bucket on

the weekend of the Gap trip, for those of us who can't get

away to slay the Dragon.  Still thinking about it.  Let you know.