Did you VOTE?

Strictly Street

Yes. Yay Sin Tax in CLE. Yay our school levy failing and lastly were all fucked because it's looking like the governor fight will definitely be between a Douchebag and a turd sandwich

Yes. Yay Sin Tax in CLE. Yay our school levy failing and lastly were all fucked because it's looking like the governor fight will definitely be between a Douchebag and a turd sandwich

A sin tax passed but the school levy didn't?  I hate voters.

I voted.

I was libertarian ballot #0001 :p

No on the sin tax.  Yes on the school levy.  I don't remember which way I went on the issue of whether or not Ohio should be allowed to issue billons of dollars in bonds for the next 30 years...

its actually the smart thing to do as far as our school district goes. I live in one city where the school district is actually the city next door with a lesser ranked district. It was a 35 year building bond or something like that and only 25% of residents even have kids that go to the schools in the district. When you look at our city, its only 8%. This is just after they passed a levy in November that was worth passing

And yes the sin tax passing once again is a great thing IMO. But I also use all the pro sport venues regularly and they will not be bugging the city or county for money because the sin tax will cover that portion and frankly they were not going to cut the price of my beer by 5 cents if it didn't renew

Yep, we pass a tax so we can give millions to billionaires so they can pay adults millions to play sports.  While we charge kids 500 to 1000 PER sport to play. 

• Upvote 1

And yes the sin tax passing once again is a great thing IMO. But I also use all the pro sport venues regularly and they will not be bugging the city or county for money because the sin tax will cover that portion and frankly they were not going to cut the price of my beer by 5 cents if it didn't renew

The county has 150 million IN the bank, in cash, unencumbered. They don't need anymore money for the stadiums.

I am not as convinced as you are on this issue.

I agree that the county is on the hook to maintain our facilities.  I have no problem with that.

What I have a problem with is the very loose definition of "maintenance" that is being used to justify wants instead of needs.  They're talking about bigger scoreboards at Progressive Field and other shit that would definitely be "nice," but is hardly my idea of "maintaining" the facility.  Until the existing scoreboard needs extensive repairs, why look at replacing it? That is something that should be funded privately.

As for your argument that the tobacco and liquor companies aren't going to lower their prices, I would agree - but you'll be taxed less on the purchase.  If they wanted to increase their price to make it a zero-cent net change, the public would crucify them for that, and I think they would cave.

But ultimately I have a bigger problem with renewing the County's bad idea on how to maintain the facilities.  I wish the issue would have been a 5 option multiple choice for "how do you think maintenance on the sporting facilities should be funded?"  Option 1 would have been "renew the sin tax."  Options 2 through 5 should have been other alternative forms of funding.  Making these things into a simple yes/no is just a way for political groups to divide people on an issue rather than proposing a better solution.

Yep, actually passed our school levy, granted we sold our house to leave the levy, and still would be even after passing, it felt nice to finally see school levy's pass.

Getting a new high school 50% off, and keeping sports, and extra curricular activities.  Then again, I always vote for school levy's even if they seem stupid to everyone else.  Always will.

• Upvote 1

Yep, we pass a tax so we can give millions to billionaires so they can pay adults millions to play sports.  While we charge kids 500 to 1000 PER sport to play. 

But hey, at least you'll be on the Koch's Christmas card list.  Then can show it to the children in your classrooms as inspiration.

But hey, at least you'll be on the Koch's Christmas card list.  Then can show it to the children in your classrooms as inspiration.

I'm ok with the Koch's. They support Gay Marriage and legalizing pot. Never understood why the left got so worked up about them. Wonder which of those issues the left is opposed to. Dang, maybe both?

I'm ok with the Koch's. They support Gay Marriage and legalizing pot. Never understood why the left got so worked up about them. Wonder which of those issues the left is opposed to. Dang, maybe both?

I'm okay with sharks, they are for water, and like fish, if you fear sharks you must also hate water and/or fish.

Also, it's difficult to "nail down" the Koch brothers on many issues, since they give money to so many organizations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_activities_of_the_Koch_family

Historically, they have given a great deal of money to right wing candidates who do oppose marriage equality and marijuana decriminalization.

Edited by magley64

And Mags apparently.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of theirs... And I could care less about Harry Reid, except that he stole my definition-accurate disparaging title for ol' redneck bundy and a horde of his supporters. 

Tonik, you should take some time to get to know their organization, Americans for Prosperity.  It's an ugly, ugly, ugly organization (and puleeze don't say that's OK because there are others just as bad - that's a toddler's argument).  While I was opposed to the Columbus Zoo levy, the Kochs sent out flyers to Columbus residents that stated property taxes would go up by 105% because of the levy.  OMG!  I can't afford that!

What they DIDN'T say was that only the ZOO component would go up, so a $100k home owner would pay $45/yr instead of $22/yr, not $4k instead of $2k like they implied.  It was incredibly disingenuous and fully intent to mislead.  Anyone using those kinds of tactics should be banned from politics, and it made me sick to place a vote on their side for fear that success will only further embolden that kind of BS.  It's the same BS they already use with the ACA, global warming, public funding of educational TV and everything else, and these guys have so much money and industry and media ties, it has poisoned politics for the last decade, and it's only getting worse.  Wait until the next presidential election for the real mudraking to begin.

Tonik, you should take some time to get to know their organization, Americans for Prosperity.  It's an ugly, ugly, ugly organization (and puleeze don't say that's OK because there are others just as bad - that's a toddler's argument).  While I was opposed to the Columbus Zoo levy, the Kochs sent out flyers to Columbus residents that stated property taxes would go up by 105% because of the levy.  OMG!  I can't afford that!

What they DIDN'T say was that only the ZOO component would go up, so a $100k home owner would pay $45/yr instead of $22/yr, not $4k instead of $2k like they implied.  It was incredibly disingenuous and fully intent to mislead.  Anyone using those kinds of tactics should be banned from politics, and it made me sick to place a vote on their side for fear that success will only further embolden that kind of BS.  It's the same BS they already use with the ACA, global warming, public funding of educational TV and everything else, and these guys have so much money and industry and media ties, it has poisoned politics for the last decade, and it's only getting worse.  Wait until the next presidential election for the real mudraking to begin.

Where, exactly, did I say I supported Koch? Let be be very clear on this, as I always have been, I hate everyone. Everyone. I am a conservative but that has nothing to do with Koch or Republicans. I encourage them to blow me just as I encourage Dems and Soros to blow me.

I hate everyone and everyone can blow me. I can't make it any clearer than that.

As for money and misleading statements in elections. You know what. For years the UAW, teachers unions, George Soros and the like have done exactly the same thing. It wasn't until Koch and the Repub super pacs came along and businesses got freedom of speech aka spend shitloads on elections did anyone on the left complain.

You folks made your shit hole now you get to wallow in it.

Not giving you a hard time, just making sure you understand where I am coming from. There is no one nowhere worthy of my vote, and there is no tax dreamed up by those people that is worthy of my support.

They can all blow me.

• Upvote 4