Mid O AMA Superbike weekend

F4iguy

Mid Ohio track days AMA weekend  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which day(s) are you signing up for?

• Friday July 18
    • Monday July 21
  2. 2. Are you attending the AMA races?

We took off after superbike #2. We had a long drive home and I wanted to start tearing down the bike. thanks again Todd for handing out with us and checking on me. Sorry we didn't make it over to see you today. Was the rider OK from the kart wheeling bike?

That matches up with my video from the sixth session.  You fly by on the inside heading into turn two around the 2:30 mark -- never to be seen again.

Get any more video? I have a bunch, but I'm still at mid o. I came by around 2:40 on the outside of the keyhole.

Get any more video? I have a bunch, but I'm still at mid o. I came by around 2:40 on the outside of the keyhole.

http://www.youtube.com/trackbikez

All my raw footage is there.

I have all INT sessions except for the second session where my mount broke, so I took it off in the pits for the duration.  The third session was interrupted for me for the same reason, but I was able to reattach and continue.  Fifth session may not be any good for you though since the camera is pointed at me and my brake lever.

great day today... was really light in Advanced till they started bumping some from int to advanced due to  crowding issues.. made   getting some open track difficult at times..  over all good  was changing things up a bit and found a nice spot sitting  on 1:42 flat all day.. was dealing with an intermittent  false neutral issue.  got a lot of good help from brian  and after some time we really started to chase the elusive :39's  unfortunately both me and him had some rear tire issues and we both became flat trackers for the last 2 sessions.. it was a blast.. but well cant go fast if your sliding around  that much well least I cant haha... oh well next time!

oh and the wife ran her PTR today and dropped 4 seconds and now is steady in the 53's! so proud!

Edited by TwiztedRabbit

Great day out there today! I went into it feeling like shit with a bad sinus infection but the weather was just too damn nice to cancel. Started the day off running 1:50-1:51, and was down in the 1:46-1:47s by the end of the day. Set a personal best of 1:45.68! I also had my suspension dialed in so that might have help things. Needless to say, I was definitely happy the progress.

great day today... was really light in Advanced till they started bumping some from int to advanced due to crowding issues.. made getting some open track difficult at times.. over all good was changing things up a bit and found a nice spot sitting on 1:42 flat all day.. was dealing with an intermittent false neutral issue. got a lot of good help from brian and after some time we really started to chase the elusive :39's unfortunately both me and him had some rear tire issues and we both became flat trackers for the last 2 sessions.. it was a blast.. but well cant go fast if your sliding around that much well least I cant haha... oh well next time!

oh and the wife ran her PTR today and dropped 4 seconds and now is steady in the 53's! so proud!

sliding around is when it gets fun! Congrats to the wife.

Yesterday was straight up amazing...the track had grip even in session one(for me, Brandon will probably chime in on his experience). I pushed my limit a lot over the weekend, consistent 40 flats and 41's. I'd wager there were a few sub 1:40 laps, but the timer wasn't picking up, then the battery went dead, and finally I loaned it to Brandon so he could get an idea of his pace for the last couple sessions. He turned a few 40 flats; pretty badass for not being on the track for something like 2 years.

Really considering a GPX pro to switch to GPS lap timing and get some data logging for the nerd in me.

Some video from advanced monday; sixth session mini OR train with Brandon, then final session. Rear tire was completely toast(no more dimples on either side) by this time, but I was still pushing hard through all the little slides and having a blast.

Edited by RHill

Yeah it was good time.. I honestly don't mind the bike sliding around on me but literally losing the rear to the point of oh fack doesn't make ya fast.. I had a decent amount of days on it already then had an odd wear issue that brian nor I could figure out.. it was all good though next time with some fresh rubber. I think it's there

Everyone was chewing up the left sides of their tires.  Mine started to look like shit Friday, and continued about the same on Monday.  Was debating about flipping it, but held off on the reccomendation of the track side tire guy, and ended up wearing both sides out about even.  Left side wear was way more agressive than the right due to tearing.  Brandon even commented in the one video while we were on hotpit about everyone's tires looking ragged on the left.

Amazingly, I'm still on the same UK dunlop front from Jennings and the damn thing still looks awesome.  Getting to the point where I'm going to change the tire because I "should";  3 days at Jennings, 2 days at Putnam, 4 days at Pittsburgh(2 last year), 3 days at Mid-O, 2.5 days at Nelson...and it was a take off to begin with.

Yesterday was straight up amazing...the track had grip even in session one(for me, Brandon will probably chime in on his experience). I pushed my limit a lot over the weekend, consistent 40 flats and 41's. I'd wager there were a few sub 1:40 laps, but the timer wasn't picking up, then the battery went dead, and finally I loaned it to Brandon so he could get an idea of his pace for the last couple sessions. He turned a few 40 flats; pretty badass for not being on the track for something like 2 years.

Really considering a GPX pro to switch to GPS lap timing and get some data logging for the nerd in me.

Some video from advanced monday; sixth session mini OR train with Brandon, then final session. Rear tire was completely toast(no more dimples on either side) by this time, but I was still pushing hard through all the little slides and having a blast.

Lookin good out there.  However, do me a huge favor and do not EVER do that thing you did in the first video to slow up and allow the guy on the Triumph to pass.  Super sketchy and could have been a REALLY bad situation should a faster rider have gained on you from the time you looked back out of the Keyhole and the approach to 10a.  Just pit and ride through and catch your buddy.  He was a good 4-5 seconds slower at minimum and you would have caught him easily had you pitted.

One of the biggest problems we have in Advanced and Intermediate is the fact that guys are looking over the shoulders and slowing to ride with buddies.  It's a hot track and fast guys are mixed in.  Had there been someone behind you guys, it could have got ugly quick.

Outside that, you're going good out there and will only get faster.  Good job.

If you want to go cheap I picked up Qstarz BTQ818XT 10Mhz for like $90. I'm using it with my S5 and it works friggen awesome. I got a cheap hard plastic case for the phone and velcro'd both of them to my bike. I'm using RaceChrono for the timing/datalogging. Seems to be very accurate in 10Mhz mode and gives you tons of info. 

Kyle hunterhttp://kylehunter.photoshelter.com/

All morning, no afternoon and none from start through turn 8 of the first lap

I didn't get out of Medical and start riding until the last 2 sessions and there were 3 photographers out there that I saw every lap. One at the 500 on the back straight. One at 6 one at 9. The ones at 6 and 9 were following me thru there taking the sport bikes on the outside. Seeing a Sumo out there is rare and they were all over it lol. I'd like to see a few of them.

I didn't get out of Medical and start riding until the last 2 sessions and there were 3 photographers out there that I saw every lap. One at the 500 on the back straight. One at 6 one at 9. The ones at 6 and 9 were following me thru there taking the sport bikes on the outside. Seeing a Sumo out there is rare and they were all over it lol. I'd like to see a few of them.

I sent him an email asking about photos not on his site.

I will keep you posted. He was also the only one mentioned. I did talk to the guys at turn 8 but forgot to ask who they were with.

Lookin good out there.  However, do me a huge favor and do not EVER do that thing you did in the first video to slow up and allow the guy on the Triumph to pass.  Super sketchy and could have been a REALLY bad situation should a faster rider have gained on you from the time you looked back out of the Keyhole and the approach to 10a.  Just pit and ride through and catch your buddy.  He was a good 4-5 seconds slower at minimum and you would have caught him easily had you pitted.

One of the biggest problems we have in Advanced and Intermediate is the fact that guys are looking over the shoulders and slowing to ride with buddies.  It's a hot track and fast guys are mixed in.  Had there been someone behind you guys, it could have got ugly quick.

Outside that, you're going good out there and will only get faster.  Good job.

Thanks for the compliments. You were looking good out there...that Duc is a sexy beast, was checking it out during lunch break on Monday.

I understand where you are coming from about slowing up for buddies and I agree 100% under normal trackday circumstances, but the track was empty.  My refelection on the cluster shows me looking back constantly while at a steady pace from the drive out of the keyhole through to where I checked up heavy way off line. If there was even a hint of another rider I would have never even considered it, same goes if there were more riders on track.

It is no different than pit out, there are ways to do it safely...then there are ways to fuck it up.  I STILL had issues with riders going through the valley without signaling and crossing track between 12 and 13.  Kind of ridiculous considering the emphasis that is placed on it during the riders meeting every trackday.  BTW this was in advanced, not intermediate, multiple times.

Just as an FYI, I had a close call with one of the coaches in INT on Friday.   I'm not sure if they were towing someone or if he/she heard me, but they checked up hard out of 14 on the racing line and I nearly asspacked them.  I was already driving out to pass on the straight or into 1; had no choice but to run the curbing on the outside to avoid them.  Wanted to talk after, but I had no idea who they were.

Not trying to detract from the weekend in any way, it was amazing fun....thanks to everyone involved with Mid-O, the coaches and everyone who made it out.  Wish I wasn't pitted in the upper paddock so I could have hung out in the lower....but repacking and unpacking just to move a few hundered feet wasn't on my to-do list for the weekend.

If you want to go cheap I picked up Qstarz BTQ818XT 10Mhz for like $90. I'm using it with my S5 and it works friggen awesome. I got a cheap hard plastic case for the phone and velcro'd both of them to my bike. I'm using RaceChrono for the timing/datalogging. Seems to be very accurate in 10Mhz mode and gives you tons of info.

My phone is a workphone which doesn't have insurance on it, so I'm hesitant to take it on track.  Still considering the option.  The main reason I was first interested by the GPX was the inputs for throttle position, rpm and so on.  I'm not sure how much it would help, but it would be fun to geek out and make comparisons between hot laps of all the data.

Edited by RHill

Maybe the Qstar GPS logger? I think they make a stand alone unit.

Pretty sure the last 3 sessions the beacon was off on friday, then I had my own issues with the receiver on monday. Would just like to have something that works. Also would like to have something that I can have in the camera view like my current timer so it acts as a running timer in video. Not sure how visible the display on the gpx is.

He said all he has is up. Looks like Mondays group had quite a bit more photos.