Mid O AMA Superbike weekend

F4iguy

Mid Ohio track days AMA weekend  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which day(s) are you signing up for?

• Friday July 18
    • Monday July 21
  2. 2. Are you attending the AMA races?

Sorry to backup a few days, but I finished the cut of the 7/18 footage I had.  Of course I missed the session 2 rider down in the keyhole because my mount failed, which was also my closest off.  I did catch the shimmy from session 1 (1:00 mark) and session 3 (4:00 mark).  Great riding with most of you - I really need to find room for a 600.

Hill-  The track was far from empty on the day as they had been bumping Intermediate riders to Advanced due to heavy numbers.  The fact is simple.  Guys running :33s and guys running :43s is a 10 second difference.  You can look and see clear and within the time between Turn 7 and 10a (You didn't look during those times), I can sneak up on you rather quickly.  It is also the job of ANY track day rider to focus forward.  Yes, looking over the shoulder coming onto the track from the pits is acceptable.  But you are also far left and off the line...  The choice you made to go far right and slow dramatically is not permitted and I would have pulled you in and told you to never do it again...  I am not being a hard ass - I am talking safety and it is something we made very clear to NOT do in the Rider's Meeting...

As for coaches braking hard in 14, not sure what they were doing as there shouldn't be heavy braking there.  Could they have been following someone and that person had an issue and they reacted?  Always three sides to every story...

As for Thunder, there were several guys bumped up as mentioned and while it is something we preach, same with you looking over the shoulder - people still do it.  The Intermediate guys may have very well have been out of their elements and did the human thing where they forgot.  It is a major issue and I had some issues as well.  It is something we battle at that track on a regular basis...

• Upvote 1

Brian, its all good, won't be doing it again.

Sorry to backup a few days, but I finished the cut of the 7/18 footage I had.  Of course I missed the session 2 rider down in the keyhole because my mount failed, which was also my closest off.  I did catch the shimmy from session 1 (1:00 mark) and session 3 (4:00 mark).  Great riding with most of you - I really need to find room for a 600.

Nice video!  I've wanted to put together a real edit, but never have the patience to make all the cuts and edit it up.  Damn that patch looked slick! 

Friday 6th session...sorry the audio is all messed up....thought it was funny that there was pretty much always one instructor  or another following/filtering through behind me the entire session.  Glad I could give them an excuse to have some fun for a few laps  :dirtbike2:

Edited by RHill
  • Upvote 1

Think this is my personal best, but who knows when the lap timer was being so spotty.  3:18.66 on two combined laps, so averaged a 1:39.33.  The last lap was a 1:39.9 while blowing & bogging the 13/14 transition.  Still a lot of time left to cut, I can spot 2 or 3 glaring mistakes on all 3 unimpeded laps; add in a little more entrance/corner speed in 1, brake deeper to move markers up, stronger drives everywhere with a fresh tire....think 37's will be hard but possible.  

Left a little oops in there at the end; tried to ride through the chicane in 4th and had no chance.

That's hauling ass! Crazy to think that AMA pro guys are shaving another TEN SECONDS off of that. What are some of the slower lap times in Advanced group? I'm assuming you need to be running low 1:40s on average to bump up? 

That's hauling ass! Crazy to think that AMA pro guys are shaving another TEN SECONDS off of that. What are some of the slower lap times in Advanced group? I'm assuming you need to be running low 1:40s on average to bump up? 

Thanks!  It is hard to imagine dropping 4 seconds let alone 14.

It was light in advanced and pretty heavy in intermediate Monday, seemed like they were bumping riders in the mid/upper 40's.  I had some pretty crazy closing speeds in spots, but it wasn't a big deal. (like 10 seconds into the last video; would love to see that from his perspective).  On a full day, I would think they would be a lot more reserved with bumps.

If you are not sure, start in intermediate and ask a coach to ride around with you....they might bump you up, or give you some pointers that will help get you up to pace for A.  Solid, consistant lines are what is necssary, but if you can click off a 45/6 every clean lap(when there is traction of course) then I'd think you would be OK. 

Intermediate can be a bit frustrating with the traffic; I know it was for me at first, but if you concentrate on your riding the passes will start to come in droves. 

What times are people running in int? Just wondering at what point i should move up from novice. I'm in the high 50's at the moment.

I don't mind novice except for the only passing on the back straight. I would like the front straight to be opened up too. But i can see how that could become really bad really fast. 

If i had an ego, i would just go I without asking. I was just wondering what kind of times were at mid-o. I've been running I at nelsons with no issues.

I know it's about consistency and predictability; didn't think to make that disclaimer. There are plenty of people with good lines but are still really slow that would cause problems in I. Same as the slow guys going into A when they shouldn't.

That wasn't a slam, everyone has an ego. Some just check it better than others. A slow guy with great lines is safer than a fast guy that has no line and uses the whole track. One that can't hold a line is more likely to cause a crash than a slower guy that holds his line and can be passed safely

That wasn't a slam, everyone has an ego. Some just check it better than others. A slow guy with great lines is safer than a fast guy that has no line and uses the whole track. One that can't hold a line is more likely to cause a crash than a slower guy that holds his line and can be passed safely

Exactly. 

Would running on the curb and clipping the grass be considered using the whole track...??? Brian, just stuff that Midget ass-hole like I showed ya a few times.......don't let that damn Midget fool ya, he runs the whole track and even blocks pit exit!!! LOL

Wish it was easier to see, but if you pay close attention when I come to a stop, you can see the canopy flip over the wall and get some good elevation.....glad the gate lady didnt get whacked with it, could have been a bad day.  

I was cracking up watching it go down, but had to lend a hand....I couldn't see the gate lady controlling that thing if another gust of wind came through and really didn't want to see the results if the canopy flipped onto the front straight as bikes were coming through.

Wish it was easier to see, but if you pay close attention when I come to a stop, you can see the canopy flip over the wall and get some good elevation.....glad the gate lady didnt get whacked with it, could have been a bad day.  

I was cracking up watching it go down, but had to lend a hand....I couldn't see the gate lady controlling that thing if another gust of wind came through and really didn't want to see the results if the canopy flipped onto the front straight as bikes were coming through.

Should have worked a free track day into the deal.