Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap 2016

Casper

Just now, 2talltim said:

Just means more miles and seat time for me...lol

I'd ride there and back on my GT, but I wont make the wife suffer through that long of a trip on her 300.  Maybe once she gets some touring friendly equip for it

I'd ride there and back on my GT, but I wont make the wife suffer through that long of a trip on her 300.  Maybe once she gets some touring friendly equip for it

That poor little thing is probably screaming at 75 to 80 on the freeway.

2 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

That poor little thing is probably screaming at 75 to 80 on the freeway.

We dropped a few teeth out of the rear sprocket and it helped pull the revs down a bit, but it can pop 100+ on MidO's backstraight.  Think she's around 8-9k at 80, but to do that for hundreds of miles isn't the nicest way to treat that little I-2

• Upvote 1

We dropped a few teeth out of the rear sprocket and it helped pull the revs down a bit, but it can pop 100+ on MidO's backstraight.  Think she's around 8-9k at 80, but to do that for hundreds of miles isn't the nicest way to treat that little I-2

One of my buddies did the trip on a stock geared shadow vlx 600 cruiser and to keep up with us at 80 to 85 on the freeway he had that thing singing for hundreds of miles. He traded it in for a bigger bike as soon as we got home..lol

Those 600 shadows are damn near flatout at interstate speeds.  Poor bike LOL.

She loves her little 300, and Brock found her some more HP to play with.  It runs tiptop, but not much of a hypermiler.  She'll eventually find a bigger upgrade someday that fits her

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Wife just corrected me.  We regeared her ninja 250, so the 300 is still stock geared.  Maybe I had it in my head that we could drop the final drive ratio a bit on her 300?  Either way, it's a better/more capable bike than the 2nd gen 250 was for her.  

10 hours ago, Hellmutt said:

Wife just corrected me.  We regeared her ninja 250, so the 300 is still stock geared.  Maybe I had it in my head that we could drop the final drive ratio a bit on her 300?  Either way, it's a better/more capable bike than the 2nd gen 250 was for her.  

Hard to keep up with all the bike changes I had in 3 years.

My wrist gets sore when on the highway for long periods of time.

Epic ride is my limit, the new meet place makes it about 2.5 hours of highway and 160 miles. 

If I got out of the kitchen more I might be in better shape or look less like a potato and more like an hour glass.

Edited by snot

We have a couple cramp busters.  One solid plastic CrampBuster brand, and the other straps onto the grip.  The one that straps around the grip pinched my throttle tube and wouldn't let it spring back closed, so I wont let her use that one anyway

16 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Am finalizing details of my departure day for this trip.

Planning on leaving after work in Solon Ohio on Friday June 3rd. Leaving at 5PM sharp (will try to get out a bit early)

• Will take Rt 3 SW all the way to Mt. Vernon Ohio.
  • From Mt. Vernon, Rt 661 SW to Granville
  • From there, Rt 37 SW to Lancaster.
  • From Lancaster, Rt 159 SW to Chillicothe
  • From there it's easy as I'll take Rt 23 S and end up in Portsmouth Ohio for the night, picking up a motel in Portsmouth.

The above route is approx 5 hrs 36 min. with no stops. I estimate checking in to the Motel around Midnight (allowing for a few nice breaks)

Anyone wanting to ride along and possible split room costs let me know. I will be reserving a room in the next few days to get the best rate.

Now Saturday morning, waking up on the KY border, will be a fantastic day, perhaps with NO ROUTE at all, just aiming South and trying to find the most crazy backroads to get me there. I estimate two full days wandering will get me to Robbinsville. Should arrive late Sunday night (God willing and the crick don't rise.....but even if the crick DOES rise, the 250 fords pretty deep water)

You're heading down a week early? 

I've currently taken off the 8th-14th.

If we get a good group and a multi day trip down I may skip the trailer and ride down. This may require requesting some more days off. That wont be a problem. Just need to get some plans set. I think @Blitz was starting to think about riding down.

Edited by TimTheAzn

14 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

If I am able to go, I'll ride down either Wednesday or Thursday and then head home on Sunday or Monday. If the weather is bangin', I'll be taking my Trek up the BRP for some inexplicable reason. 

You doing that all in one shot on the multi?

I'm leaving Wednesday afternoon/after work, slab to WV, then back roads to the gap Thursday.  You can follow me if you promise not to crash. Unless I get Cavs finals tickets, in that case you are on your own.

17 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Depends on time and funds. I can make the one-day slab on the Multi with ease. I'd prefer to take back roads through Ohio and KY, though. Either way, it's all contingent on my recall date and work schedule. 

At this point I think the only thing that'll get me off of Andy's trailer is if some of us took 2 days down 2 days back up. Mostly all backroads keeping the slabbing to a minimum.

13 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Keep me updated. I think riding there would add to the experience. I'm a GAP virgin :)

3 minutes ago, Tonik said:

If you ride down there you will be ostracized by the other Triumph owners. They are trailer queens.

I'm a trailering Triumph owner, and I wouldn't shun ya Tim

11 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

You can do two days out, two days down there and two days back. I used to do it on the 748 every year and you're in way better shape than me. 

I wouldnt have an issue if we split it into two days. One day would be pushing my limit. We normally do what, 400-450 miles during a normal ride down to Marietta right? haha. (I accumulate a few extra miles because I can pretty much see the lake from my house.)

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. When will you know more about your recall date? I assume you'll know more about your work schedule closer to the date.

Edited by TimTheAzn

7 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Agreed. I used a CB when I rode my 748. Made a world of difference. Even just being able to open my hand for a mile or so was helpful. 

I can't speak for your personal fitness, but I know that a parallel 250/300 will drone for hundreds of miles on the interstate with no issues. She rode hers to NYC, Muskegon MI, Tawas, MI... each on a one-day trip and all at interstate speeds. Don't be afraid of 8k RPM on those little engines. They're amazing and damn-near bullet proof. I'd especially be comfortable riding the fuel-injected 300.

Highway droning is pretty dull, but stopping every couple of hours for a good 20-30 minute rest and stretch makes a world of difference. So does a hydration pack. :)

I know the bike can do it, the rmps don't bother me. Its just wrist and hand.... Then my ass hurts after riding all day. 

We have hydration packs, I am just not I shape :( ....I Will be in better shape by the time we go. 

• Upvote 1

• Tonik unpinned this topic