Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap 2016

Casper

On 6/5/2016 at 2:27 PM, 2talltim said:

Where ya'll staying? I'll be in Robinsville Tuesday night.

We're at the Two Wheel Inn. When you coming into town? Did I buy a hot bodies exhaust for a cbr off of you awhile back? 

We're at the Two Wheel Inn. When you coming into town? Did I buy a hot bodies exhaust for a cbr off of you awhile back? 

Nope not me, I used to have the red 97 TL1000s, not sure we ever meet

Me and Dan are in robinsville, had dinner at the diner and have comenced beer drinking. Great ride today for me started on 221 to BRP then did a loop in Little Switzerland that included 226A (the diamondback) and 80, both were awsome routes. I've ridden so many aswome roads lately I might as week throw my top 5 and top 10 list out the window. Got back on BRP took it to Cherokee and then on to Robinsville. To everyone traveling tommorow stay safe and have fun. I think I'm going to take it east tommorow, maybe just a short ride.

• Upvote 2

We've been having a blast Monday we did 335 miles on the Cherohala Dragon loop then down Moonshiner 28 to Walhalla and back. Unfortunately the hot dog bbq place was closed down there. 

Yesterday was a short day about 250 miles. We did Road to nowhere and checked out the tunnel then some of 28 again and wayah road then one of my friends got arrested for 106 in a 55 on 28 right after we talked about slowing it down on the sweepers expecting cops. The trooper and magistrate were pretty cool with him though and are letting him out w/o bail, he's allowed to ride, they set his court date early so he can go Friday and the trooper said he's going to talk to the DA about lesser charges so it doesn't affect his cdl. Then after that we hit the dragon a few times. I got to ride my buddies little 94 cbr 400 for a bit that was an interesting little bike. 

Today we're going to head out blueridge parkway to little switzerland and do the snake or what ever it was. Maybe head out to the Linville Cove Viaduct. Looks like we may do 380 miles today. 

P_20160606_124359.jpg

P_20160606_132618.jpg

P_20160606_150759.jpg

Edited by cOoTeR
Pics

Safe trip everyone. Doc and I had a great day yesterday. Stayed in Asheville last night. Only one oh shit moment . On rt 197. Best ever set o switchbacks ever for me. I think like six in a row.  Then blasting up the mountain I crested and the pavement ended. No markers. No signs. Just a shit ton of gravel. ABS saved our asses I do believe. Only place I saw mention is on Google earth. Some dude posted a picture. I flippin love it down here. The little VStrom is one capable bike. No regrets in the purchase . 

Did a familiar yet fun day. Did a out and back on the Skyway and the dragon I was very mean to the old C14 today. Finished off my rear tire so I'll be visiting wheelers in the morning for a new one.

Dan got the part on for his bike after waiting all day for the UPS man. He is currently out riding some god forsaken road and I'm betting I won't see him again till dark. I'm currently eating dinner at The Hub and will be drink Miller lites on my return to the cabin.

We've been having a blast Monday we did 335 miles on the Cherohala Dragon loop then down Moonshiner 28 to Walhalla and back. Unfortunately the hot dog bbq place was closed down there. 

Yesterday was a short day about 250 miles. We did Road to nowhere and checked out the tunnel then some of 28 again and wayah road then one of my friends got arrested for 106 in a 55 on 28 right after we talked about slowing it down on the sweepers expecting cops. The trooper and magistrate were pretty cool with him though and are letting him out w/o bail, he's allowed to ride, they set his court date early so he can go Friday and the trooper said he's going to talk to the DA about lesser charges so it doesn't affect his cdl. Then after that we hit the dragon a few times. I got to ride my buddies little 94 cbr 400 for a bit that was an interesting little bike. 

Today we're going to head out blueridge parkway to little switzerland and do the snake or what ever it was. Maybe head out to the Linville Cove Viaduct. Looks like we may do 380 miles today. 

P_20160606_124359.jpg

P_20160606_132618.jpg

P_20160606_150759.jpg

You still at the 2 wheeled inn tonight? I rolled through there after dinner and didn't see a single sport bike. Maybe you weren't back yet.

12 hours ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

On rt 197. Best ever set o switchbacks ever for me. I think like six in a row.  Then blasting up the mountain I crested and the pavement ended. No markers. No signs. Just a shit ton of gravel. ABS saved our asses I do believe

Where abouts on Rt197??  Wife and I plan to ride it Friday, and rather NOT have ANY oh-shit-moments if I can help it.  We're running the section between 76 & 356

Edited by Hellmutt

Unpaved section is at the very top of the road as it crests the mountain.  About 4 miles of gravel, but pretty smooth and graded last time I was down there.  Not a problem even on a sport bike as long as you take it easy.  Use Googlemap Streetview function to see the exact section where the gravel starts/ends.

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 9.52.28 PM.png

Edited by Bubba
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hellmutt said:

Where abouts on Rt197??  Wife and I plan to ride it Friday, and rather NOT have ANY oh-shit-moments if I can help it.  We're running the section between 76 & 356

5ac1aec2d8f1fe69343ca271075a3153_zpsss7r

I think we are talking different rt. 197's. This is the route we took. If you google map "Pensacola NC." This will pop up and you can zoom in. When you do you will see the photo box to the left of the switch backs click it and it shows the gravel road. Like bubba said you can street view it as well. We road yours today. Nice road.  Have a safe trip. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys, but we'll be much further southwest than Pensacola NC.  No worries, just wasn't sure which/where that section of 197 was.  See y'all tomorrow at Fontana, yeah?

12 hours ago, 2talltim said:

You still at the 2 wheeled inn tonight? I rolled through there after dinner and didn't see a single sport bike. Maybe you weren't back yet.

We're here through tonight. We got the apartment above the main garage so we are keeping our bikes in there. We got back early yesterday around 730 or 800.

1 hour ago, NinjaDoc said:

Hellmutt snot u guys hitting the gap today? We hopefully will be at the gap store by 12:30 1 

We are on our way now, should be there around 1 or 1:30.

We won't be ready to ride until 3ish (got to unload bikes and gear up). 

my jealousy rages on. Damn facebook memories had a picture of the VFR sitting at the pavilion across from the gas station which was my morning ritual before we hit the road :(

Well 3 hours and $457 later I have a new set of PR4 s on from Wheelers. Didn't think that price was bad at all. Cheaper than Pony and only $75 more than If I had put thrm on myself.

20160609_101152.jpg

Edited by 2talltim

• Tonik unpinned this topic