New software...

Casper

^ that's Ok I'm just going to keep posting it until it's fixed. Relying on a phone feature to make a site work Is a bad idea.

And if we still had the option to view it the same as the desktop this would be a non issue.

Edited by blue03636

I believe I have been very clear that I think Casper sucks, but this is one of those once in a millennium occasions where he isn't to blame. There are a million web browsers on a million different operating systems and devices all with different screen sizes being used by a million different people with different preferences on what they want to see. It is impossible to create a website that can account for all of those combinations.  I see this almost everyday with users at work.  I have googled this issue on the software that Casper is using.  There isn't anything the incompetent one can do about this that I can find.

That is the nature of software and the interwebs, you never get a perfect solution for everyone. The previous version we had here didn't have this problem, I get that, but it had a boatload of other problems. Far more got fixed than broken.  And honestly, this isn't broken, it is just an annoyance.

On Android, take a look at Dolphin browser, they have an add on that you can toggle to force the desktop version.  It also has gestures that will flip you back to the top of the page quickly. That may help.

• Upvote 1

IMO, looking at the forums is about the same as the old version.  But that's not the best way to view the site unless you like to check each individual forum.

OTOH, the new activity streams are actually pretty awful...even with the custom filters.  I don't like them nearly as much as the old version or other forums I use.  If there's a way to make the stream look like a forum that would be much better. 

Edited by Tpoppa

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

There are a million web browsers on a million different operating systems and devices all with different screen sizes being used by a million different people with different preferences on what they want to see. It is impossible to create a website that can account for all of those combinations.  

No one expects Casper to fix a million browsers. Clearly those Million combos should suffer to improve the one use.

19 minutes ago, durk said:

Thanks Tonik that works awesome. Not sure why everyone  talks about you being full of hate. 

Stick around, you'll figure it out. :lol:

Another bug Casper...  When I type ":lol:" for the smiley, it didn't use the image.  When I click it in the smiley's list, it does.  I always type them, since I know most of the ones I use.

Edited by jporter12

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Hit the little star or circle next to the thread title.

I hate that my phone won't do that. Is there a browser function I should try to see if it will work? Like any of these?

image.png

Edited by Bad324

Because navigation on the new software blows, I am going to ask some questions and bitch a little...

Questions...

why does my phone not go back to last place I read in a topic?  Worked great before.

When will the activity work good enough to easily see the nice list of 20 or so last posted topics or topic reply, in chronological order?  It was so easy before to open recent threads and see what you needed to see.  Now it's an unorganized fuck fuck of menus and rules driven bile shit.  If I read it I do not want it to disappear from my list.  Now if you decide to post something once leaving thread you have to go through more bullshit menus.

bitching (even though I already bitched)...

i am all for making thing better, more secure, and moving forward.  Couple things were fixed and 90% of what people use is broke or so complicated it is discouraging to even hit the site anymore.  We went from MAC simplicity to Android 5010 places to put setting for one app.

Are you sure this is not based on the same site software as healthcare.gov?

end of rant 

To get back to last unread you hit the star or circle next to the thread title. If it is a thread that you have read then you under it and to the left where it shows how long ago the last post was made...like where it says '1 hour ago'

The view you are looking for is under streams. You can customize it if the premade ones dont make you happy.

Yea, getting out of a thread requires a couple of clicks....to get to the custom stream you made.

1 minute ago, jporter12 said:

Or bookmark the custom stream that you made.  Works great on the desktop, not quite as well on the mobile.

Genius.  I already have my stream as a shortcut on my phone's homescren. Never thought to exit and just hit that again.  Thats two presses, nice and easy. Thanks