POSTPONED TO RAINDATE!!! unOFFICIAL FALL 2016 EPIC RIDE - SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 11, 2016

DerekClouser

Group You'd like to Ride in  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Please select the group you want to ride in

• Fast
    • MED-Fast
    • MED
    • MED-Slow
    • Slow
    • I'd LEAD the group I selected
    • I'd SWEEP the group I selected
    • Tonik's Hate Group

6 minutes ago, Kruse08 said:

Alright, sounds good.  Just have to make sure everyone is comfortable.

I usually lead one of the medium groups, and I like to vary the pace up front between a moderate medium and quick medium-fast to keep things fun.  I typically throttle down to slow pace so the group can recollect after some of these short bursts ( I hate waiting until the next stop/turn is reached to gather everyone back up in case there's an issue, ultimately keeps us closer together but still allows some faster fun up front ).

This wont affect pace towards the rear since there are riders in the group that maintain the medium pace throughout, and that's fine - by all means, ride your own rides PLEASE - but faster riders that have ridden in my groups before know they should ride near the front if they'd occasionally like to wick it up.  I like to break up the monotony now and then.

Oh, and expect a missed turn or 2 during the ride :lol:

7 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

I usually lead one of the medium groups, and I like to vary the pace up front between a moderate medium and quick medium-fast to keep things fun.  I typically throttle down to slow pace so the group can recollect after some of these short bursts ( I hate waiting until the next stop/turn is reached to gather everyone back up in case there's an issue, ultimately keeps us closer together but still allows some faster fun up front ).

This wont affect pace towards the rear since there are riders in the group that maintain the medium pace throughout, and that's fine - by all means, ride your own rides PLEASE - but faster riders that have ridden in my groups before know they should ride near the front if they'd occasionally like to wick it up.  I like to break up the monotony now and then.

Oh, and expect a missed turn or 2 during the ride :lol:

It will be the first time I step into your group so until I learn what the pace is I will hang back.  Granted this is even if work pans out but so far it looks good.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Scorpion-Ninja said:

And watch out for Gravel while standing! :p lol

I'm still IN* (solo riding alone again down from Michigan)

Yup, I plan to be less distracted should we miss a turn, and focus on what my feet will be touching down on. :D

Okay guys. Update on the Epic Ride.  If we want this ride to continue to be a success, I'll need everyone to vote for me to become mod.  Currently, I'm getting my ass kicked by 2talltim and we need to amount the comeback.  Link to the thread is here: Click here to Vote!

derek4prez_zpsfl0njgti.png

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

U need to come with me this time :) , well I hope this time. Gonna get my schedule this week 

Lead the way. I have no problem following you. You just need to get your priorities straight. Riding for sure should trump work. 

• Upvote 3

Thinking of jumping in.  Med group is "full" with 10 riders.  I don't see a group listed for Mach Retard?  I likely belong in Medium?  Does that automatically revert me to the Hate Train Group? (which is fine as I have hate in my heart that I need to let out) Still unsure if I will be free.  I'd likely start with you all in Logan and peel off once the route comes back across RT93 near end of route.   I may be able to hang in the Med-Fast group?  My bike is hella fast, Yo.  I ride about 50% of the route regularly.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, RCBS said:

Thinking of jumping in.  Med group is "full" with 10 riders.  I don't see a group listed for Mach Retard?  I likely belong in Medium?  Does that automatically revert me to the Hate Train Group? (which is fine as I have hate in my heart that I need to let out) Still unsure if I will be free.  I'd likely start with you all in Logan and peel off once the route comes back across RT93 near end of route.   I may be able to hang in the Med-Fast group?  My bike is hella fast, Yo.  I ride about 50% of the route regularly.

If we have a dozen in medium group, that's still doable.  Most years I end up taking on a couple extras, and that's fine.  But I like 10, it's a nice round number....yet there's been very few rides that I've lead where we only had 10 in the group.  

Now, If we get upwards of 15 medium group riders, I'd rather divide us with another lead/sweep.

Edited by Hellmutt

35 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

If we have a dozen in medium group, that's still doable.  Most years I end up taking on a couple extras, and that's fine.  But I like 10, it's a nice round number....yet there's been very few rides that I've lead where we only had 10 in the group.  

Now, If we get upwards of 15 medium group riders, I'd rather divide us with another lead/sweep.

I honestly don't know where I should try to place myself.  Ride solo 99% of the time so I have no reference.   I figure medium is a safe bet?  I think I read there will be opportunity to change groups if needed?

• Upvote 1

I was in your shoes a year ago in the spring. I to chose to ride the medium pace with hellmutt's group.  I think  that was the right call for me. I was always riding solo, so it was good to get my feet wet riding with a group before I started riding faster in a group. What I would tell you is that hellmutt pretty much sticks to what is posted as far as speed and such on the first page of this post. I would also tell you that @Hellmutt is a great guy. You will not be disappointed you chose to ride with him. As he mentioned in an earlier post if you like to ride a little bit faster stay close to the front with his group. I did ride with the medium fast group this spring and it definitely was a faster pace.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RCBS said:

I honestly don't know where I should try to place myself.  Ride solo 99% of the time so I have no reference.   I figure medium is a safe bet?  I think I read there will be opportunity to change groups if needed?

Medium is a safe bet.  If you want a little quicker pace now and then, move up the line to my six or bump up to med-fast.  Either way, always good to start slower in a pack

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, durk said:

I was in your shoes a year ago in the spring. I to chose to ride the medium pace with hellmutt's group.  I think  that was the right call for me. I was always riding solo, so it was good to get my feet wet riding with a group before I started riding faster in a group. What I would tell you is that hellmutt pretty much sticks to what is posted as far as speed and such on the first page of this post. I would also tell you that @Hellmutt is a great guy. You will not be disappointed you chose to ride with him. As he mentioned in an earlier post if you like to ride a little bit faster stay close to the front with his group. I did ride with the medium fast group this spring and it definitely was a faster pace.

19 hours ago, Hellmutt said:

Medium is a safe bet.  If you want a little quicker pace now and then, move up the line to my six or bump up to med-fast.  Either way, always good to start slower in a pack

Not wanting to come off sounding like I think  I'm some moto phenom or anything.  I am fairly new to the street.  Rode dirt all my life up until my late 20's, all types of 2, 3 and 4 wheeled contraptions.  Have spent the last 3 seasons trying to ride every curvy route in SEO.  I don't log a ton of miles, but the miles I ride are on the good stuff.  All the group rides here in my area are always HDs (bar hopping), which usually pace waaaay too slow for my liking.  I need to do some riding behind some experienced folks.  My self learning has yielded all it can at this point I think.  Areas I need to work on:  Body positioning.  Judging entry & exit speeds.  Whoolies.

I agree whole heartedly with you Hellmutt.  I most certainly don't want to end up jumping in over my head.

So the hate group though...what is that about exactly?  Do we get to stop and ridicule people and stuff??  Just ride with middle finger up perpetually?  Kicking puppies? :flingpoo:

Edited by RCBS

• Casper unpinned this topic