2013 Ducati Hyperstrada 

2018 BMW R1200GSA

2018 Honda GL1800

2016 BMW R1200RS

1995 Honda GL1500

Edited by Pauly
Forgot about the Buell

On 12/22/2023 at 8:20 AM, bowdog said:

Congrats man! I was in Alaska in June and wow what a beautiful place, you will not be disappointed!

Thanks man. Yeah it’s going to be epic. I really was trying to explore the northern limits in Quebec when the old bike gave up the ghost. There are thousands of miles of rugged gravel and dirt roads across Canada and there is a lot of excellent wild camping and fishing along the way. I intend on exploring both. There is little that tastes better than fresh fish cooked over a fire next to your tent by an unnamed lake. Throw in legal weed and good beer and that’s going to be like heaven. 
There are areas of BC near Banff I hear are spectacular as well. And that’s all before I see Alaska!

New decal will read:

Cycle South 2024

Ohio to the Arctic Circle on a motorcycle. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah I’m getting pretty excited. And having a new bike under me will allow a little leeway in how I treat it as far as pushing through some bad roads. If I hit the weather right, the roads between Inuvik and Tuktoyuktuk should be passable. If rainy, the 13” calcium chloride road base turns to the slickest snot imaginable, and clings and dries to a state that is almost not-completely-removable, even with pressure washers. 
So things I am studying:

Bear sprays and deterrence 

mosquito issues (100%deet required)

spares (I have friends in Palmer Alaska and I’ll be sending fresh tires to her along with chain, sprockets and brake pads)

pre-spraying the bike with various coatings to help with calcium chloride sticking  

upgrading my satellite com system from my old SPOT Gen3 to a Garmin Inreach Mini2

getting a new FOBO motorcycle TPMS that integrates with my CarPlay unit  

that’s about it

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Danimal said:

Yeah I’m getting pretty excited. And having a new bike under me will allow a little leeway in how I treat it as far as pushing through some bad roads. If I hit the weather right, the roads between Inuvik and Tuktoyuktuk should be passable. If rainy, the 13” calcium chloride road base turns to the slickest snot imaginable, and clings and dries to a state that is almost not-completely-removable, even with pressure washers. 
So things I am studying:

spares (I have friends in Palmer Alaska and I’ll be sending fresh tires to her along with chain, sprockets and brake pads)

pre-spraying the bike with various coatings to help with calcium chloride sticking  

upgrading my satellite com system from my old SPOT Gen3 to a Garmin Inreach Mini2

getting a new FOBO motorcycle TPMS that integrates with my CarPlay unit  

that’s about it

Definitely carried bear spray on my hikes. Luckily didn't have to use it. Wish Canada was more liberal with firearms. I felt nearly naked for a week. 

• Sad 1

On 12/24/2023 at 10:38 AM, Tonik said:

But wait Mike, you are not old. Why would you buy a Wing?

I'm getting older.  These new Wings are great, and they are significantly more sporty than the older Wings.  One of my daughters and I were riding it in the rain up to Coshocton for lunch on Tuesday.  Thank God it was dry on the way home, so we could try out sport mode.  Her quote: "this bike is going to be so much fun in the mountains.  I can't wait!".

I have found my long term replacement for the Connie.

• Upvote 2

On 12/27/2023 at 6:31 PM, Danimal said:

Definitely 100% deet! was in Canada a couple of years ago for a bear hunt and holy shit them bastards are bad there! I couldn't even get out of the truck without full deet, face mask and a thermal cell running.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 7:05 PM, Connie14 said:

I'm getting older.  These new Wings are great, and they are significantly more sporty than the older Wings.  One of my daughters and I were riding it in the rain up to Coshocton for lunch on Tuesday.  Thank God it was dry on the way home, so we could try out sport mode.  Her quote: "this bike is going to be so much fun in the mountains.  I can't wait!".

I have found my long term replacement for the Connie.

Thanks for the mini review. I’m not sure if I want to get another Concours and have 2 bikes or just upgrade to the newer Wing. The older Wing doesn’t quite cut it for solo rides. It’s a bit heavy for me to feel comfortable pushing it. 

4 hours ago, durk said:

Thanks for the mini review. I’m not sure if I want to get another Concours and have 2 bikes or just upgrade to the newer Wing. The older Wing doesn’t quite cut it for solo rides. It’s a bit heavy for me to feel comfortable pushing it. 

The 24s are coming in now. This place has a 23 6mt for 24k. Good deal. Someone said they have a DCT discounted also but I can't find it on their site.

https://www.ridersvillecycle.com/Inventory/New-In-Stock-Inventory-for-Sale?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=GMB-service

• Upvote 1

On 12/27/2023 at 6:31 PM, Danimal said:

I'm sure you've read plenty already...

sometimes bear spray will only buy you a minute or 2 depending on the species, and the specifics of the encounter.  

I've had few encounters where I saw the bear, and plenty more where the bear saw me.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Danimal said:

The new Goldwimg could suck your dick while riding for all I care. Can’t see myself on one for any reason. 

For a 2-up tourer, I definitely see the appeal of the new GW (or a K1600)

For a 1-up tourer, there are many motorcycles I prefer.  And 95% of my riding is 1-up.

• Upvote 1

Most touring-road oriented bikes aren’t comfortable going down trails in the woods.

I‘m sure the Wing is a great handling bike.

It’s just that my preferred riding “style” changed since back then Tony

The last road bike I owned spent the last year of its long, long life exploring dirt and gravel roads that I had flown past for years while looking for the best twisty pavement. It was totally ill-equipped for what I put it through and when the next few bikes allowed me to explore those same roads more comfortably and confidently I was hooked. 
My bike will still sit at 75 on the highway all day, in relative comfort with the mods I’ve made. It has over a 450 mile range. It has over 11” of suspension travel and more than 10” of ground clearance (great for high curbs entering hotel lobbies in Mexico). And the highest-tech electronics on the DR is my iPhone. No ABS pump or sensors to fail. No fuel injectors to clog or fuel pump to fail. All positives when you live on your bike for extended periods. Like most of you, my longest “trip” was a week at the Gap every Summer. 

And I am by no means a great offroad rider. In fact, since my leg injury, I’ve turned around on single track and real bad roads more than a few times. When my DR is fully loaded it’s a beast to pick up for me with the bad leg. All luggage usually is clipped off first. Hell I’m thinking of getting a trail jack to help lift it. 
I can’t imagine trying to lift up a Gold Wing several times in a day. 
I’m getting antsy now to ride

IMG_4083.jpeg

IMG_4078.jpeg

C11546C5-80AF-4183-86CC-5BF0F76B64BF-15611-000013F2B4722FFB.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2023 at 1:36 PM, durk said:

I can see riding the new Wing solo.  It is definitely a lot sportier than the old one.  I still have my Connie, so I can still ride at a decent sport bike pace when I'm in the mood.  I'd definitely check out those 2023s that Tonik mentioned.

On 12/28/2023 at 1:10 PM, TimTheAzn said:

Definitely carried bear spray on my hikes. Luckily didn't have to use it. Wish Canada was more liberal with firearms. I felt nearly naked for a week. 

Couldn’t imagine being out in the boonies unarmed.  Add hungry bears and that becomes a big hell no. 

• Haha 1