What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

27 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Even if you aren't touching the bars counter steering is still occurring.  The bars will naturally counter steer the appropriate direction to initiate the turn.  Try the same thing with the handlebars locked in place (like in the Keith Code video), and you would run right off the road.     

locked in place is different than locked only counter to turn...

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Keith code, you said "counter steering is happening or else you run off the road." the reality is No Steering was happening. If you half locked it so the wheel would only steer to one side it would be a better proof. I'm thinking if rigging this up on a bicycle.

12 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Re: Keith code, you said "counter steering is happening or else you run off the road." the reality is No Steering was happening. If you half locked it so the wheel would only steer to one side it would be a better proof. I'm thinking if rigging this up on a bicycle.

Be sure to video this. :lol:

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

If you ride a bicycle with no hands and use your weight to turn from side to side, I think you see the handlebars will counter steer for an instant before they fall into the turn.

Yes, video this.

On a slightly different subject...

I once witnessed a brand new rider in parking try to ride a motorcycle for the first time.  He attempted to turn for the first time by turning the bars to damn near full lock with zero lean angle.  Guess what happened :lol:

9 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

On a slightly different subject...

I once witnessed a brand new rider in parking try to ride a motorcycle for the first time.  He attempted to turn for the first time by turning the bars to damn near full lock with zero lean angle.  Guess what happened :lol:

He got knee down........ as well as elbow, thigh, shoulder, hand...

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, whaler said:

T30 is a better tire.  It's amazing how brain fucked people are on tire brands.

T30 is currently my favorite, next set is 023s only because of price. They were $100 less the  the T30s on sale. I'll most likely go back to T30 for the set after that.

I haven't tried Bridgestone in awhile, maybe 8 years.  My last experience wasn't so good.  I forget the model # but it was their 1st dual compound ST tire.  I remember the tire would wear in "steps" where the compound changed.  

I'll look into the T30s.

24 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I haven't tried Bridgestone in awhile, maybe 8 years.  My last experience wasn't so good.  I forget the model # but it was their 1st dual compound ST tire.  I remember the tire would wear in "steps" where the compound changed.  

I'll look into the T30s.

That was probably the BT021s that came on the C14 stock and were GARBAGE according to most of the original owners. BS discontinued them with the  replacmebt 023s and replace the 023s with the T30s and now the T30 Evo is available too. But recently they brought back the 023s which is very confusing.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

That was probably the BT021s that came on the C14 stock and were GARBAGE according to most of the original owners. BS discontinued them with the  replacmebt 023s and replace the 023s with the T30s and now the T30 Evo is available too. But recently they brought back the 023s which is very confusing.

023s come stock on the FJR still.

13 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

I don't take requests. But don't say I never deliver.

Wow, that is pretty epic. I think we need you to go faster though....before the counter steer is really in play.  Any really big hills nearby?

18 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Wow, that is pretty epic. I think we need you to go faster though....before the counter steer is really in play.  Any really big hills nearby?

Agreed

At lower speeds you will steer where you are going, but there is a point which takes into account mass and velocity and you can only counter steer.

3 hours ago, motocat12 said:

I don't take requests. But don't say I never deliver.

I think your biggest issue is that the python lowracer design is more like recumbents, so a much lower COG.  If you chop the upper frame and drop/recline the seating position more...it should be easier.

Edit - Nevermind, I failed to catch the beginning where you show a makeshift stop on the one side of the wheel.  Thought you were just fighting to upright the bike.  

Edited by Hellmutt

3 hours ago, whaler said:

Agreed

At lower speeds you will steer where you are going, but there is a point which takes into account mass and velocity and you can only counter steer.

Logic tells me this would have to be to/beyond the speeds where the gyroscopic effect of the wheels ( rotating mass ) outweigh the bike's mass, no?

3 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Logic tells me this would have to be to/beyond the speeds where the gyroscopic effect of the wheels ( rotating mass ) outweigh the bike's mass, no?

Yea, we need a big hill. I hit low 50's on a bicycle once. He can do it!

I remember holding a spinning bicycle wheel by the axles at the Great Lakes science center (I think) and I remember that it was difficult to hold besides straight up and down because of the gyroscopic force. I just think of a spinning motorcycle wheel and tire (that had a lot more mass therefore harder to get it to move) acting the same way, except I'm no longer holding it by the axles, I have leverage now with the clip-on and forks. This is why they say the bike always wants to "right" itself and is why you shouldn't try to fight the bike. It is actually explained way better in that twist of the wrist two at some point. 

You counter steer because that's the most efficient way of getting that spinning gyroscope to "drop" into a turn. It's only a temporary input because after you stop counter steering the wheels right themselves again.

Thats how I think of it at least.

Edited by TimTheAzn