What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

22 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I remember holding a spinning bicycle wheel by the axles at the Great Lakes science center (I think) and I remember that it was difficult to hold besides straight up and down because of the gyroscopic force. I just think of a spinning motorcycle wheel and tire (that had a lot more mass therefore harder to get it to move) acting the same way, except I'm no longer holding it by the axles, I have leverage now with the clip-on and forks. This is why they say the bike always wants to "right" itself and is why you shouldn't try to fight the bike. It is actually explained way better in that twist of the wrist two at some point. 

You counter steer because that's the most efficient way of getting that spinning gyroscope to "drop" into a turn. It's only a temporary input because after you stop counter steering the wheels right themselves again.

Thats how I think of it at least.

Interesting fact - back in the early days of powered flight (WW1) and rotary-engine aircraft, the gyroscopic effect caused by most of the engine rotating at high speed would cause pitch/yaw to be affected without direct input from the pilot. This caused a good number of novice pilots to lose control and crash, resulting in the eventual move away from the rotary engine. 

Edited by what

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

Wow, that is pretty epic. I think we need you to go faster though....before the counter steer is really in play.  Any really big hills nearby?

It's laced with a 3 speed hub. Maybe when I'm not alone in sub zero temperatures on Ice. And would need FPV or a drone

3 hours ago, whaler said:

there is a point which takes into account mass and velocity and you can only counter steer.

10mph  

8 hours ago, motocat12 said:

It's laced with a 3 speed hub. Maybe when I'm not alone in sub zero temperatures on Ice. And would need FPV or a drone

We can do that. Paging @DerekClouser  I have access to a drone also.

So, when we get you up to speed, your test needs to be a turn to the left.  You have it set now so you can't turn the wheel right...that is the direction you would turn the wheel if you were counter steering to go left.

I suggest you use your motorcycle helmet when we do this. :lol:

Another thought...counter steering doesn't 'always' mean the bars actually going past zero degrees the other direction.

If you are already committed to a turn and need to tighten your line you would counter steer, but the bars wouldn't ever get near zero degrees.  Just a degree or 2 the opposite direction of your turn.

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 2

Forks set 5mm below old height to reduce trail a bit on the duc. Wrenching on god damn clipon bars trying to figure out why the throttle bar is not 7/8" but is in fact 7/8.1" so it won't fit in the clipon. New gold bars on the way to replace anyway... 

Need to welt borked fairing bracket... Need to put 1mm spacers on front calipers to move then in a bit...

Need new fuel line that works on 100+ octane fuel...

Going up to check out what spare parts the guy who raced this bike has tomorrow, hopefully I won't end up in his meat freezer. 

What a borked fairing bracket may look like:

20170211_152708.jpg

Back to tire topic, took some photos of the track bike tires... front is even wear but rear is a bit off. Need to play with rebound damping and up the compression damping according to Dave Moss (scalloping on rear edge of tread). 

20170211_183926.jpg

20170211_183502.jpg

20170211_183342.jpg

Duc is together! Except for new fuel lines and fairings (fairings being repaired). 

Freaking ducati and their not 7/8" we-a pasta-promise-a its-a 7/8" clipons. 

Old throttle-hand bar was like 7/8.1" and no amount of coaxing was going to make it work. 

20170213_204242.jpg

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

What the hell is this?  Mixing fractions and decimals, why would you do that:lol:

Ask the god damn Italians, apparently it's how they do math. 

I'd like to note that @jacobhawkins has been a big help with getting the duc put together!

Edited by what

Almost got finished up last night. New headlight mounted. Exhaust done. Got new wheels back from powdercoat and hooped up a set of Angel GT's . Couple little things to finish and maybe I'll be able to make one of the rides a few of the members are throwing together this weekend. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 4