when do you enter a center turn lane?

evan9381

just trying to get a general consensus on this...the other couple accidents ive been in, i was 100% at fault, and for once, this ones not on me, yet,the other guys insurance company (which is the same as i have...go figure) adjuster is trying to give me shit about when i should/shouldnt be getting into the turn lane.

the accident happened ~60 feet before my turn (which he is trying to claim is more, but looking at satelite image, its no more than 60-70 feet like i told him), and i got into the lane and signaled maybe 60-75 feet before the accident. honestly, i dont see an issue with ~120-135 feet, being that its a 45mph road...it would have given me enough time to come to a speed safe enough to turn at, instead of slowing down, holding up any traffic behind me, then getting over at the last possible second to make the turn...

ive tried searching for the ORC as to when you are to (or should) enter a mutual turn lane, but couldnt find anything...all i could really find was what i already knew, that he, making a left turn does not have the right of way and must yeild to any oncoming traffic

eh...i found this, but its for CA, so i know its probably different here...

Two-way left turn centre lanes must not be used for any other purpose, such as overtaking. According to the California Driver Handbook 2002 (external link verified Jul-02) you are limited to driving for about 200 feet in these lanes but the law in other states may be different

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/pdf_forms/HSY-7607.pdf

Page 55 is the only thing that I can find about turn lanes in the driver's training book. I would agree that 100-150ft is a good distance for entering that lane. I am not sure that you can determine a distance from "immediatly prior". It seems rather subjective.

It doesn't matter what he thinks the law is it not his job...

I also posted just to make sure that i am stuck at 272 posts.... yes i am

post count isn't stuck post in the parking lot do not count.

But GMoney is right its not his job to determine hows at fault that why we have police.

i kinda figured it was his job to give me shit, but i just wanted to see what others think. the kid did get cited, i have maps showing the distance from where he was pulling from, and i was turning into, and the police report shows exactly what happened, and says he was attempting a left turn across NB traffic

hopefully they determine he's at fault soon so i can get a rental car

i guess it doesnt matter now...i talked to him yesterday, and he was saying they were waiting for the kid to go to court before they decided anything, which was on the 14th...i told him thats bullshit, im not waiting 2 more weeks, blasted him a bit, then asked for his supervisor...gives me the story hes not in, but will have him call me back by the end of the day...he gives me a call back an hour and a half later (same guy, not the sup), saying theyre going to pay the claim in full, had a rental car waiting for me, etc etc. turned out for the best

i guess it doesnt matter now...i talked to him yesterday, and he was saying they were waiting for the kid to go to court before they decided anything, which was on the 14th...i told him thats bullshit, im not waiting 2 more weeks, blasted him a bit, then asked for his supervisor...gives me the story hes not in, but will have him call me back by the end of the day...he gives me a call back an hour and a half later (same guy, not the sup), saying theyre going to pay the claim in full, had a rental car waiting for me, etc etc. turned out for the best

What insurance company was this?