When do you change your oil?

thorne

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it was first noticed on the RS4 when it came out, but I also heard of people with 335's experiencing the same issues.

The basics were that the DI engines were experiencing fuel dillution which in turn was reducing the viscosity of the oil VERY prematurely. Most people with RS4s were basically only getting 1K miles before the viscosity fell off. It's been a while since I read up on it though so they may have come up with a solution. At the time it was to use a synthetic specifically for the problem that was about $12/quart.

The problem with most people and oil changes is, they see that it is recommended to change every 3000, 5000, 7500, 10k 15k, etc but people neglect the FILTER. You should still change the filter every 3-5k at least!!!

I still am amazed when I hear about people doing this - I was brought up thinking that the filter was part of the oil change, no debate. I still won't ever do it without the filter.

big difference..there is not one place on this planet that falls under normal conditons. read your owners manual closer in to what they define as normal conditions.

15k ha. that engine wont live long

run rotella in it you might be able to get away with it, but if there is a issue, then when it blows up youwill get hammered on none warranty coverage do to the fact that it has the wrong oil in it

The guys on the BMW boards claim they have no issues with 15k

it was first noticed on the RS4 when it came out, but I also heard of people with 335's experiencing the same issues.

The basics were that the DI engines were experiencing fuel dillution which in turn was reducing the viscosity of the oil VERY prematurely. Most people with RS4s were basically only getting 1K miles before the viscosity fell off. It's been a while since I read up on it though so they may have come up with a solution. At the time it was to use a synthetic specifically for the problem that was about $12/quart.

hmmmm.....going to read up more on this. Over at the MS3/MS6 boards, there's issues with seals on the turbos failing.......or at least believed to be failing. Typically it's after putting on race pipes or down pipes and thus helping flow more.

Perhaps it's a combination of things where the oil is being diluted so bad and viscosity is decreasing so much that it's passing by the seals or damaging them?

No one knows or has discovered the real cause yet. Mazda is replacing turbos on stock cars who have this issue, but those modifying them are stuck flipping the bill and usually do a turbo swap.

I change mine ever 3-4k But my buddy's new BMW 135i says every 15k. I've been told by a few people that 5-10k is where you should in reality change you oil and thats its all a sham from the oil makers.

Any insight would rock because 15k blew my mind and his car is turbo.

I guess other then the $ what does it hurt to change the oil every 3-5K miles, even it calls for every 10-12K miles? You can't over do a good thing....can you?

The guys on the BMW boards claim they have no issues with 15k

my dad has a 535xi he only needs to add a quart around 13k then it lasts until the every 15k schedule. I dont trust it but it aint my car. If it was my ride id do it every 5k.

Its interesting about direct injection...I knew that it was causing large amounts of carbon build up on the valves and intake, and now this dilution problem. Direct injection has a couple of wrinkles to iron out first.

Perhaps it's a combination of things where the oil is being diluted so bad and viscosity is decreasing so much that it's passing by the seals or damaging them?

I was always thinking that was my problem, because test pipes + full syn = smokey smokerton. So I snagged some stock cat pipes and quietly called it a day.

hmmmm.....going to read up more on this. Over at the MS3/MS6 boards, there's issues with seals on the turbos failing.......or at least believed to be failing. Typically it's after putting on race pipes or down pipes and thus helping flow more.

No one knows or has discovered the real cause yet. Mazda is replacing turbos on stock cars who have this issue, but those modifying them are stuck flipping the bill and usually do a turbo swap.

Tim, have you seen the tread on mazda3forums.com about doing a catch can on our cars?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e111/smokinAMD/catchcan/IMG_0609.jpg

That is after 2 weeks of driving.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e111/smokinAMD/catchcan/IMG_0610.jpg

After letting it sit overnight. Defined layers of gas, funk, and oil.

with seeing that id be certain to say the oil in the speed3 is being diluted really bad.

I kinda do like draco with my WRX, after every other race or 3K-5K out of season(or until the stick color looks questionable).

the VW gets changed when I remember to do it, and probably too often because I really dont drive it that much, plus it lacks an odometer.

I'd rather over change the oil than have to change the engine.

Its funny that when i was 5 years old the standard was 3k miles and every one holds to that today. Even Me. however to think that we haven't made advancements in oil over the last 20 years is a little crazy.

And you would be surprised about how well a BMW handles there oil I use to be a QCT and 15K is very standard for them, in fact they wont do it under warranty or maintenance plan through the leasing until 15k. unless you pay for it out of pocket and that will be an easy $100

I still am amazed when I hear about people doing this - I was brought up thinking that the filter was part of the oil change, no debate. I still won't ever do it without the filter.

I'm still shocked that people will run 15k on their oil and 15k on the filter also. That filter is probably 100% plugged and in bypass all the time.

My Porsche manual states:

Maintenance every 15 000 miles / 24 000 km:

----------------------

Change engine oil

Maintenance every 30 000 miles / 48 000 km:

----------------------

Change engine oil and oil filter

Also, there is a pamphlet that says "Porsche specifies Mobil 1. Shouldn't you?"

But, my other cars get changed at 5K miles.

most new car computers keep log of your driving habits and it will illuminate the change oil soon light because the whole 3,000 mile/3 month thing is a part of the past with all the new technology today. but in my camaro I change it every 2,000 miles and I use mobil 1 synthetic 15w50

15w50 in a ls motor? Really?

I just changed the oil in my neighbors altima and less than a quart came out of the pan....I asked him when the last time he changed it was and he told me "Well i dont really change it persay,I just add new oil when it gets low so its like an oil change kinda."

I just changed the oil in my neighbors altima and less than a quart came out of the pan....I asked him when the last time he changed it was and he told me "Well i dont really change it persay' date='I just add new oil when it gets low so its like an oil change kinda."[/quote']

Hope you punched him in the face for his stupidity.