How anal are you about your driveway?

V8 Beast

I dont mean anal like Scotty 2 Hotty at a gay swingers club on New Years eve... I mean anal as in you have to sweep every speck of snow off of your driveway when ever it snows.. I mean anal to the point that you actually shovel part of the street after you get your driveway clear...

I live in a complex with town home style places. We don't have garages so it's just a parking lot and sidewalks. I just got done shoveling the sidewalks around us and our parking spot for the first time. I usually do it more often than that, whenever we get a decent amount of snow. I don't get 100% of it up, just enough to throw some salt down and have most of it go away.

Sounds like you have OCD and/or some need to compensate by showing off to your neighbors.

Sounds like you have OCD and/or some need to compensate by showing off to your neighbors.

Sounds like you have an assumption complex that could require regular doses of medication to get under control :p I personally throw down an icemelt, sand, salt mix and walk away. If it really needs shovelling I have kids for that

When I first bought our home, I used to care and shovel all the time. Honestly, now, I don't give a shit about it. This is Columbus, we don't get enough snow to warrant clearing my driveway. I've yet to get my car or van stuck. If / when that one time per year comes where I get blasted, I'll either Call Erik...which I've done...or if he's slammed, I'll flip the neighbor kid $20 to get his dads snow thrower out and clear it for me.

Otherwise, shoveling is way over rated. Our house faces west too, so when the temps hit 33, it begins to melt fast on the blacktop driveway.

I mean you have to sweep every speck of snow off of your driveway when ever it snows.. I mean anal to the point that you actually shovel part of the street after you get your driveway clear...

That's what I do, cause I hate walking in the snow. So I figure get rid of it now, forget about it later.

LOL, I win.

This afternoon I heard a noise like a snowblower like really close to my house, so I went to the front living room and my neighbor has his industrial looking snow blower thing(it had a spinning brush thing on the front) and was doing my entire driveway (65ft x 12ft) and did the front sidewalks in front of my house, the neighbor to his otherside sidewalk, and then did his driveway. I was like badass, guess its nice being friends with your neighbor.

But I generally don't shovel the ENTIRE driveway. Just 2 'stripes' where my tires go, so it doesn't freeze. I park in my attached garage that I can just walk into from my house so I don't have to ever walk in the snow, and my car doesn't get covered, so I don't care.

Edited by Bam

My son offered to do it today. I cleaned it off yesterday. Problem was. When it first started last week I didn't shovel. Then it warmed up, melted, and after a few cars drove over it, it was ice :(.

I have a snowblower from the 1950's, but the pull cord thing broke and I haven't found a similar replacement.

unless there is a foot of snow or more, I do nothing, I have AWD and a flat Black driveway, why waste my time. It melts if there is any sun.

I've noticed as a Subaru owner I fail to clean my driveway 99% of the time. When I owned my camaros in the past I was always on top of it. otherwise I was not getting to work,.

I live in a complex with town home style places. We don't have garages so it's just a parking lot and sidewalks. I just got done shoveling the sidewalks around us and our parking spot for the first time. I usually do it more often than that, whenever we get a decent amount of snow. I don't get 100% of it up, just enough to throw some salt down and have most of it go away.

sounds like me at my old apartment complex. their snow removal policy was "wait for it to melt". after 2 winters of dealing with that BS, i asked my 7 neighbors if they could kick in a few bucks for salt and i went out and shoveled as often as i could, then laid down salt.

i like to wear tennis shoes year round and walking on snow i get wet feet if im out too long, which isnt fun.

now that i have a house i got my car in the garage this winter...the shitty part is that its an attached garage, but i cant get into the house from the garage, so i have to walk out my garage door and into my house door ~6 feet away.

that'll be on my checklist for my next house.

why not just throw magnesium chloride down if it is concrete

Is that safe for concrete? I put something down, i think rock salt 2 winters ago when I first bought the house and it TORE up my front porch, like to where it still deteriorates when I sweep it etc. So I have used anything since. But earlier this year I had a new front walk put in, poured concrete and I DO NOT want to mess it up, but would like something to get the ice up...

Do you have experience with it or anything?

yes, that will work just fine. rock salt is horrible for concrete as you found out. However magnesium chloride will work fine for concrete and pavers. Works fast too.

We use this on a wide variety of clients properties commercial and residental. It will work fine on your conrete as well.