Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

I think the primary notion is "no shit". You think that is some great new thought?

And if people got pissed I imagine it was because you said it in some trolling manner...

Not really. I responded to someone who literally said " I don't understand why we keep losing coaches". Most of the responses are that uc can use PBS, 1.7mil is enough, and that umass plays in a pro stadium.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only dumdums seriously wonder why we can't keep a coach...

I would say $1.7M plus bonuses taking it $2M is fairly competitive at our level... Only the perennial powerhouses can offer those crazy salaries they do, and UC will never be an OSU/bama/lsu/USC...

Regarding stadiums, PBS has to be a near term solution, and several FBS schools use pro stadiums, Pitt and Mass come to mind first though. The estimated cost to get Nippert to 55k+ is like $60M. School doesn't have close to that number... Problem is, until UC is in a better conference and playing teams people want to come watch, the cost is too high. (Example, we sold out Oklahoma at PBS, but didn't at all against WVU)

Da U is really the only successful program to use a pro stadium and they can't even keep Coaches

(Haven't had a coach stay more than 5 years since the 50's).

Pitt had their own stadium back when they were legit.

Da U is really the only successful program to use a pro stadium and they can't even keep Coaches

(Haven't had a coach stay more than 5 years since the 50's).

Pitt had their own stadium back when they were legit.

I'm not sure how you are defining Miami's success when you say they're a successful program. It certainly isn't by attendance; Miami's games - when they aren't undefeated and vying for a national championship - are like ghost conventions.

Didn't Washington and the Seattle Seahawks share a stadium for a while, or no? Not sure I'd consider Washington "successful" though.

How about USC and the Colliseum? Didn't the Raiders play there when they were in L.A.?

Now I'm just trying to think of college teams that played in pro stadiums.

I'm not sure how you are defining Miami's success when you say they're a successful program. It certainly isn't by attendance; Miami's games - when they aren't undefeated and vying for a national championship - are like ghost conventions.
winning % and national championships.

Didn't Washington and the Seattle Seahawks share a stadium for a while, or no? Not sure I'd consider Washington "successful" though.
Seahawks played at Huskey for 2 seasons waiting for their new stadium. Huskies have been there since 1920. Def not the same.

How about USC and the Colliseum? Didn't the Raiders play there when they were in L.A.?
again its been the home of USC since the 1920's.

To first answer the college - nfl stadium connection... the ones of note are:

Arizona and the Cardinal's shared a stadium for nearly 20 years (not since 2005 though)

Houston and the Oilers shared a stadium for nearly 30 years (not since 96, for obvious reasons)

Minnesota and the Vikings for nearly 30 yers (not since 08)

Rutgers and the Giants in the 80s-90s

Miami and Dolphins (as noted)

Pitt and Steelers (as noted)

Tulane and the Saints

Temple and the Eagles

As you can see, Pitt and Miami are the only arguable "good" teams that do... Arizona and Minnesota did at some point in history, until they had their own place... I think UC 'could' do this, if they were in a conference where they were playing good teams enough that the stadium wouldnt be empty... That also goes for anything that involves upgrading Nippert, it cant be justified until we are playing teams consistently that people will want to watch, and are are in the "national" headlines enough for people to really be engaged.... and that is a tough thing to do.

Here is an article on why PBS isnt a great choice "right now"

http://www.downthedrive.com/2011/11/16/2567720/Cincinnati-Bearcats-paul-brown-stadium-experiment-officially-a-fiasco-a-1-04-million

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7747743/cincinnati-bearcats-play-paul-brown-stadium-moves-home-games-back-campus

To first answer the college - nfl stadium connection... the ones of note are:

Arizona and the Cardinal's shared a stadium for nearly 20 years (not since 2005 though)

Houston and the Oilers shared a stadium for nearly 30 years (not since 96, for obvious reasons)

Minnesota and the Vikings for nearly 30 yers (not since 08)

Rutgers and the Giants in the 80s-90s

Miami and Dolphins (as noted)

Pitt and Steelers (as noted)

Tulane and the Saints

Temple and the Eagles

As you can see, Pitt and Miami are the only arguable "good" teams that do... Arizona and Minnesota did at some point in history, until they had their own place... I think UC 'could' do this, if they were in a conference where they were playing good teams enough that the stadium wouldnt be empty... That also goes for anything that involves upgrading Nippert, it cant be justified until we are playing teams consistently that people will want to watch, and are are in the "national" headlines enough for people to really be engaged.... and that is a tough thing to do.

Here is an article on why PBS isnt a great choice "right now"

http://www.downthedrive.com/2011/11/16/2567720/Cincinnati-Bearcats-paul-brown-stadium-experiment-officially-a-fiasco-a-1-04-million

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7747743/cincinnati-bearcats-play-paul-brown-stadium-moves-home-games-back-campus

Pitt had their own stadium till 99. Their glory days were in their own stadium on campus

"Bill Rabinowitz is reporting he (Gareon Conley)has COMMITTED!!!!!!!

Massillon Washington CB/WR Gareon Conley has committed to # OSU, his HS coach tells the Dispatch. Was a Michigan commitment until lately.

"

DE: Tyquan Lewis

DT: Michael Hill

DE: Joey Bosa

DE: Tracy Sprinkle

DT Billy Price

S: Darron Lee

S: Jayme Thompson

DB: Eli Woodard

DB: Gareon Conley

DB: Cameron Burrows

Not one linebacker yet, although many feel Lewis could very well play LB here.

Offense so far:

QB: J.T Barrett

HB: Ezekiel Elliott

TE: Marcus Baugh

WR: Jalin Marshall

WR: Taivon Jacobs

OG: Tim Gardner

OT: Evan Lisle

P: Johnny Townsend

Edited by DaddyBuiltRacing

I'd have Lee as a LB candidate before Lewis.

Still hoping to get Mitchell sometime in the new few days even though his dad couldn't come with him due to a recent medical procedure or something that prevented him from flying. Hopefully Mike likes what he sees, goes home and discusses it with his parents then announces his commitment.

Tommy Tubberville to Cincy....

Tubberville is only 58, maybe Cincy can keep a coach for more than 3 years. Sounds like this is his semi retirement job. City 1 million times better than Lubbock, lower stress schedule, not in Lubbock, decent recruiting, not in Lubbock.

Hell yea, what a shocking pick up. Very happy with the job Babcock did getting a proven winner. I call this a coaching upgrade. They announced the hire at the basketball game (Bearcats now 9-0!!) and the crowd roared... They announced it there before I could even find it on the Internet/espn/etc...

The entire Big East has to be in shock that a coach from the Big 12 could be 'hired away' to go to the reeling Big East... Now that we have a proven former SEC coach, former SEC Athletic Director... Now can the Bearcats renew that a former rivalry with UK and get in the SEC ( pretty pllllllleeeaaaaasssseee).

November 5th:

Lets look at ESPN's current Heisman contendors watch list

1. Colin Klein QB of undefeated Kansas St

2. Manti Te'o LB of undefeated Notre Dame

t3. Kenjon Barner RB of undefeated Oregon

t3. A.J McCarron QB of undefeated Alabama...really?

5. Braxton Miller QB of undefeated Ohio State

November 10th....

Alabama is gonna lose...hopefully!! They are down by 2 scores midway through the 4th quarter. BTW why isn't Texas A&M's qb in the Heisman discussion? His stats are better than just about every one else in the running honestly.

Before todays game his stats were:

2527 yards, 66.6 % 16td's 6int's

922 yards running 67ypc 15td's

Today he is

24/30 253 yards 2TDs

16 carries 92 yards

Less than 1 moth ago this guy was on no ones radar for the Heisman. Its amazing how 1 game can change that lol

4* DL Donovan Munger committed. Weird stuff with him. On Friday people were saying he wasn't doing his visit and everyone had him going to UCLA then it was clarified that he wasn't wasting an official visit on OSU and was here for an unofficial then he just commits...lol.

I think Tracy Sprinkle (currently a 3*) is actually better than Munger. Urban loves DL depth though.

Updated list, do you think someone like Munger or Price converts to OL as they both play that side of the ball in high school?

DE: Tyquan Lewis

DE: Joey Bosa

DE: Tracy Sprinkle

DT: Donovan Munger

DT: Michael Hill

DT Billy Price

S: Darron Lee

S: Jayme Thompson

DB: Eli Woodard

DB: Gareon Conley

DB: Cameron Burrows

Offense so far:

QB: J.T Barrett

HB: Ezekiel Elliott

TE: Marcus Baugh

WR: Jalin Marshall

WR: Taivon Jacobs

OG: Tim Gardner

OT: Evan Lisle

P: Johnny Townsend

I think Price is definitely destined for the OL. Could be way off but it's been talked about for a long time. I didn't pay much attention to Munger's recruitment because there wasn't much to pay attention to really but I did read he can do both as well. Obviously Hill, Sprinkle, Bosa and Lewis are straight defense so I guess they can toy with the other 2 if they want.

South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore declared for the draft. I understand it from a personal perspective, get any amount of money you can while you can, I just wonder how much money a team is willing to give him..

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8732298/marcus-lattimore-south-carolina-gamecocks-enter-nfl-draft-source

I know some people follow the SEC's recruiting tactics, Texas A&M has 34 commits already lol. I thought there was a 25 player limit set by the NCAA?