What bird did I see?

carl1647545492

Looks like a Cooper or Red-Tailed to me but I'm no expert. Tons of them out now scavenging for rodents that are rushing to stock up on food for the winter. We have one that hangs around. I chopped off a bit at the bottom but was trying to move quick to get him before he got spooked.

He sits on our fence and in 1-2 flaps of his wings is gone into a silent glide before he hits whatever he's spotted. I've seen him clip the head off a pigeon with his talons. Very cool to see.

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/pdqgp/hawk.jpg

More likely to be a red tail hawk. I'm no expert, but the coopers hawk is much more rare around here and I can easily spot you 5-10 red tails on any 10 mile stretch of highway this time of year. They go through different color patterns as well as male and females being different looking so sometimes they don't look like the name would suggest "red tail." Cooper's are small by comparison.

I am sorry, but that is very clearly a Cooper's Hawk. Not only is the build not heavy enough for a Red Tail, but the tail is banded. Another dead give away.

+1

I don't know shit about Hawks but I'm pretty good at playing naked photo hunt.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070102052352/wikiality/images/e/e2/Chickenhawk.gif

chicken hawk

I am sorry, but that is very clearly a Cooper's Hawk. Not only is the build not heavy enough for a Red Tail, but the tail is banded. Another dead give away.

That's what I was thinking. I debated between the two for a little while but the banded tail and slenderness of the hawk have me leaning towards Coopers.

Though I absolutely agree with previous statements that redtails are one of the, if not THE most widespread Hawk in OH. Seems to be the same here in DFW as well.

A few years ago out past Mt. Sterling, I was on me way to a check in station to check in a deer I had just shot and I saw a leucistic red tail. That was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I had to call the ODNR to find our what exactly it was that I saw.

Hawks are amazing. We used to play a game as a kid on road trips to see who could spot the most hawks. If you called a hawk first, you got a point, if you called a crow as a hawk, you lost a point. I still do it today with my wife.

Good times.

/ boring story.

That's what I was thinking. I debated between the two for a little while but the banded tail and slenderness of the hawk have me leaning towards Coopers.

Though I absolutely agree with previous statements that redtails are one of the, if not THE most widespread Hawk in OH. Seems to be the same here in DFW as well.

A few years ago out past Mt. Sterling, I was on me way to a check in station to check in a deer I had just shot and I saw a leucistic red tail. That was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I had to call the ODNR to find our what exactly it was that I saw.

Hawks are amazing. We used to play a game as a kid on road trips to see who could spot the most hawks. If you called a hawk first, you got a point, if you called a crow as a hawk, you lost a point. I still do it today with my wife.

Good times.

/ boring story.

In all the places I've lived over the US, redtail has got to be the most common/widespread hawk that I've seen. I've always thought it'd be cool to own a raptor as a pet. (Including the dinosaur. ;)) I've especially always wanted a big, beautiful owl.