have a few GTO questions.

pontiacfreak142

As some may know, i just picked up an 04 GTO. Love the car so far, except for the fact that i took it to trails tonight to see what it would do, and only ran 14.6 @ 97, while getting spanked by a friends bone stock 3 valve gt lol. From what ive been told, its a good possibility that when the dealership filled it up, they put 87 in it which could hurt a little, as well as needing a tune to get rid of the torque management crap. Any opinions on this as well as any other ideas what could get it running like it should? No i am not modding the car any time soon though. Also its an A4 car.

Thanks

Jesus.. Sounds like you should have taken almost every single person's word of advice in this thread

:lolguy: Buys an automatic ls1 04 GTO, wonders why it's slow. blames it on the gas.... It ran a 14.6 bc it's a 3900lb stock automatic IRS ls1 vehicle. These car's aren't really 1/4 mile monsters unless you dump alot of money in them. Hope you read up on all of this from sites like http://www.ls1gto.com and others. gl

(Former 6spd 04 gto owner)

:lolguy: Buys an automatic ls1 04 GTO, wonders why it's slow. blames it on the gas.... It ran a 14.6 bc it's a 3900lb stock automatic IRS ls1 vehicle. These car's aren't really 1/4 mile monsters unless you dump alot of money in them. Hope you read up on all of this from sites like http://www.ls1gto.com and others. gl

(Former 6spd 04 gto owner)

I didnt expect it to be a monster by any means, just figured low 14's wouldnt be an issue lol Not turning it into a drag car either, still have the firebird for that, its just a little embarassing to get beat by a stock 3 valve mustang gt lol.

Jesus.. Sounds like you should have taken almost every single person's word of advice in this thread

Eh, itll get ls6 upgrades at some point anyway so i wasnt dead set on finding an ls2. Not to mention everyone of them i found local was an over priced POS.

I'm guessing by the fact you posted 1/4 mile times in your sig you have been to the track before. Still, and not that I owned one but, launching a new GTO isn't like launching an f-body. What was your 60ft time? And your 100 ft time? Also trap speed?

Edit: I see it 97mph. You should be low 14s-high 13's with that. I forgot to ask, what tires are on it? Grab a set of DOT slicks and see if they make a difference (they should).

Back in 2005 a buddy of mine bought a brand new red ls1 6 speed 04 leftover. He had owned 3rd and 4th gen camaros up till that point and his last one had run 12.80s. His first pass was a 14.7. We spent all day at the track with that car just trying to figure out how to launch it properly. I think his best pass of the day was a 13.9. Then he did a bunch of bolt ons and a cam and was low 13s. Anyway, my point is even an automatic isn't necessarily a stab it and go proposition, you need dozens of passes on it to find the sweet spot where it launches without blowing the tires off or falling on its nose.

Also we dyno-ed his car when he first got it, his made 305 at the wheels. Maybe you should dyno yours and see where you are at. From what I remember when these cars were new anything under 300 rwhp was indicative of a problem.

Finally, I always feel with GM transmissions it's not if but when. With abuse the life of that tranny might be seriously limited. Pay attention to it and play with it a little, see if its sloppy in its shifts or in limp mode (from what I remember from 2door Tahoe ownership limp mode on a 4l60e is to bang shifts in it like its got a shift kit).

2.265 is not what I call a small amount of wheel spin. If you were hooking up you should be at least in the 1.7-1.8 range 60 ft. Did you run it through the water box? Or dry?

I don't think you can judge these cars on one pass.

Eh, itll get ls6 upgrades at some point anyway so i wasnt dead set on finding an ls2. Not to mention everyone of them i found local was an over priced POS.

I've been beating up on an 04 around my neighborhood for several years with a little four banger. :p To this day that fucker still tries though. :lol:

With that 60' it sounds like the car runs fine. Leave the car alone, enjoy it for what it is and focus on the Firechicken. I have two cars I'm always wanting to mod, trust me, don't do a damn thing to the GTO.

With that 60' it sounds like the car runs fine. Leave the car alone, enjoy it for what it is and focus on the Firechicken. I have two cars I'm always wanting to mod, trust me, don't do a damn thing to the GTO.

Oh i am focusing on the chicken, i dont need or want 2 drag cars, but it will get intake/exaust /tune just to make it a little more fun and not so damn quiet lol

Oh i am focusing on the chicken, i dont need or want 2 drag cars, but it will get intake/exaust /tune just to make it a little more fun and not so damn quiet lol

You don't listen, in a few years when you are trying to go somewhere as a family in it the noise will annoy you, and what is the tune going to do for a stock car, waste $500?

If this was going to be a toy I'd have a different attitude, but its not.

You don't listen, in a few years when you are trying to go somewhere as a family in it the noise will annoy you, and what is the tune going to do for a stock car, waste $500?

If this was going to be a toy I'd have a different attitude, but its not.

Its not a family car lol, i still have 2 of those to, not worried about that. It is kind of a toy, no not one that im turning into a full blown drag or auto x car anything.

From what im reading, a tune actually helps these quite a bit when you get rid of the torque management crap.

I didnt expect it to be a monster by any means, just figured low 14's wouldnt be an issue lol Not turning it into a drag car either, still have the firebird for that, its just a little embarassing to get beat by a stock 3 valve mustang gt lol.

It would've lost to the RAV, too. ;) The RAV ran a 14.1 @ 97. It was 90+ degrees that CR track day, too. Now that I'm done rubbing that in...

What kinda power does the LS1 make in the MKI GTO? I would've thought it would've been a bit faster, too. I do prefer the looks and interior of the GTO by far over Camaros and the Birds.

It would've lost to the RAV, too. ;) The RAV ran a 14.1 @ 97. It was 90+ degrees that CR track day, too. Now that I'm done rubbing that in...

What kinda power does the LS1 make in the MKI GTO? I would've thought it would've been a bit faster, too. I do prefer the looks and interior of the GTO by far over Camaros and the Birds.

Yea theres no comparison on the interiors lol. In these they make 350 hp 365 tq

Car should still trap over 100. Too bad your back wheels from the firebird won't fit the GTO.

Oh they would go on, may not come back off though. thats what i figured to, but after reading up on the torque management thing, it sounds like its huge hinderance on performance in these things. Sounds like some better weather ( was hot and insanely humid when i ran it) and a good tune, should be easy 13's

1.7 -8 in a stock auto car? You sure about that? Maybe it did spin worse than is felt/sounded, but i still dont see any better than maybe a high 1.9x stock with a ton of practice

1.7-1.8 is an ideal traction condition on something like sticky gummy DOT drag radials, which you are far from. thinking back when we were trying to get my friend's 04 to hook he was super happy when he cracked the 2 second 60 ft mark.

But just in case you are still incredulous here is an HPP article when they were drag testing an '04 GTO (manual trans car) and they are talking about 60 ft times in the 2.18 - 2.21 range where they are just blowing the tires off the thing at every pass.

some highlights include:

The track was sprayed with traction compound a couple of times during the day and it felt sticky but GTO could still overpower it.

Read more: http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/0407pon_2004_pontiac_gto_drag_strip_test/#ixzz38ObdSTak

Launching was no problem walking the GTO out at about 2,200 rpm and squeezing the pedal to the floor. The 1-2 powershift at 6,000 rpm was clean, breaking the tires loose as it had done for other drivers,

Read more: http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/0407pon_2004_pontiac_gto_drag_strip_test/#ixzz38Obkpq7n

The GTO makes a lot of torque from its LS1, which requires some finesse at the line to avoid breaking traction excessively--and the tires are not very wide at 245/45-17 when you consider the dearly-departed F-body's 275/40-17 rear shoes. On launch, the GTO appears to transfer weight quickly to the tires squatting down at the rear. On the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts the tires break loose, the rear shudders and the car begins to dance a little to the right. At first we thought that the independent rear could be responsible but the Mustang did the exact same thing with a solid rear axle.

Read more: http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/0407pon_2004_pontiac_gto_drag_strip_test/#ixzz38ObrZdeR

a quick google search finds the pontiac forums groaning with guys running 2 second 60 ft times and complaining how they are blowing the tires off the thing. But don't take anybody's word for it - take someone with you and have them video your runs. you may be blowing the tires off it and you don't even know it.

FWIW, my 1967 GTO runs a 3.55 gear, an automatic (th400) with a 1500 rpm stall converter, 60 series bias belted tires (30 year old ones to boot), and makes about equivalent hp and torque to your 04 ls1 and is within 300 lbs weight. it's 60ft time is consistently 1.6-1.8 and it runs between high 12s and low 13's. I have owned the car for a long time and although I am not bragging I am really good at launching it and not blowing the tires off it.

Jesuschrist that's quick.