What car have you absolutey hated driving?

Geeto67

I have a rental Chrysler 200 for the next couple of days. I finally understand why the only people who buy them are rental agencies.

For those of you that don't know me, I drive a 20 year old jeep wrangler. I do this by choice because the car is sentimental, I own it free and clear, and it has a great old feel like an old pickup truck with all the rattles and squeaks and lack of comfort.

By comparison the Chrysler 200 is comfortable....so long as you are not driving it. The seats are plush, the interior quiet, and if you don't have to reach the pedals it's roomy if you are over 6'ft. That is about as complementary as I am going to get about this car.

the steering is both firm and numb. The wheel offers no feedback but MOPAR engineers had to build in some resistance so you wouldn't feel like you are playing pole position at the arcade back in 1985. the pedals are too high and it puts my feet at a weird angle so I end up driving it mostly with the cruse control and the brake. The transmission shifts like it has nothing better to do but still doesn't want to do it. Everything feels both cheap and poorly assembled.

It literally makes me want to drive it off a bridge so I can spare someone in the world the lack of joy this car delivers. Seriously, I want it to die in a fire, preferably with me not in it. I know Chrysler banked a lot of their future existence on this car and based on what I have driven I don't expect them to be around much longer - it's that bad.

So what car could you not stand driving.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in 2005 when I worked in FL but just before I moved down, I "treated" myself to a convertible rental car. It was Florida, I might as well enjoy the climate the best way I can, right? Rental agency gave me a Chrysler Sebring convertible. It was a good looking car in white with chrome trim.

And then I got in and drove it...

Even on ice-rink-smooth asphalt roads in southern Florida, the cowl shake was intense. I seriously thought something was broken in the car. With the top up, visibility was terrible. The doors and the interior were huge, yet no seating position felt comfortable. Fit and finish was laughable, and the performance was horrid. I thought it was the 4-cyl...popped the hood...NOPE, 2.7L V6. What a major disappointment.

If I were looking for a convertible and the choice was a VW Cabrio with Ronal Bear wheels or a Chrysler Sebring, I'd take the bitch basket in a heartbeat.

I hated the 2000 Monte Carlo SS I had briefly. Couldn't turn, couldn't accelerate. There was nothing SS about it. Transmission could never decide what gear it should be in when not accelerating.

Had a '06? (they're all the same) Toyota Camry for a rental. Biggest POS. I don't understand how they sell. The interior was cheap, the ride was boring and took turns worse than my Monte Carlo did.

Any SUV. I've tried to talk myself in the my wife's escape being decent, but There's nothing sporty about SUV's and are overall just inefficient vehicle.

Must have been a typical cheap trim level rental. I looked at the AWD S-Sport Version for a new company ride and loaded up it was very nice and while not fast by CR Standards the nearly 300hp motor scooted. Little smaller than my Fusion Sport. Nice car though.

This is the exterior of the one I was looking at. Interior was nice too.

OT......anything small and slow. The Toyota Corolla is a car that I hate and will never drive.

I mostly drive GM stuff obviously, but I actually like the current Malibu. I absolutely hate vans of any kind, and most trucks are pretty boring, but mostly its little econo boxes that are uncomfortable and anemic.

I drove some buick to NYC-- that was teh most torturous drive i have ever done. The seats were AWFUL. I was in pain the entire time, so much that i took it to the nearest version of the rental company and made them trade me..

Oddly enough i had a Chevy Cruze while in portland and was pleasently suprised how much i liked it. Good little entry car, kinda zippy.

Must have been a typical cheap trim level rental. I looked at the AWD S-Sport Version for a new company ride and loaded up it was very nice and while not fast by CR Standards the nearly 300hp motor scooted. Little smaller than my Fusion Sport. Nice car though.

Yes it is the cheap rental trim level. Cloth black seats (not gray, black!), red sparkle paint, no options but a radio. 2014 model. It's not ugly. Car has 22K rental miles on it. The doors don't even line up though.

Up until this week my worst car list was:

- 2014 Nissan Altima (another rental)

- 2014 Camaro V6 Auto (yes the 300 hp one)

- 2007 Chrysler Sebring convertible

- Dodge Omni

- non supercharged/turbo mini cooper

surprisingly the jeep patriot I had as a rental in Jan didn't make the list. It was gutless and it handled like a buckboard, but the interior was actually pretty nice.

Had a 2015 4cyl Camry rental in Utah. It was abysmal at best. The steering had that pole position (lack of) feel where if you glance out the window you're for sure veering out of your lane. For some reason the fuckin thing had paddle shifters. Tried em once, laughed, and never again.

Where do I begin?

Late-model Nissan Sentra. I had one as a rental for a weekend. Took it to Pittsburgh and back. Gutless and loud engine paired with a terrible CVT transmission, and I only got 30 MPG on the drives. My ST does better on the highway with about 120 more horses.

2008-12 Toyota Camry. Dead handling, crappy brakes, noisy, slow transmission. I could go on and on.

Chevy Spark. If you sneeze on it, it will dent.

Smart ForTwo. Terrible ride, understeered like a cart, no pick-up and a dreadful single-clutch automanual.

Any minivan.

Oh! Kerry mentioned non-S Coopers...PHUCK THEM.

Drove some ragged-out trade-in MINI Cooper at CarMax Sawmill. Less than 50k miles and the A/C on full blast couldn't keep me cool in the summer, vents were aimed right at my hands. Couldn't direct them elsewhere. Brakes were terrible, shifter was unmemorable and the engine (115hp Renault) was disgusting. Stereo was shitty and the seat was uncomfortable.

I still love the IDEA of a Mini, but the execution in the non-S version is seriously lacking.

OK...thinking it over, maybe it's not the worst car I've ever driven, but it's surprisingly terribad for the price/popularity. I think that's what makes the difference for car guys: how our performance-per-dollar perception (often similarly shared with other car guys!) seems to knock down cars that you still see a million of on a daily basis. The public are sheeple.

I just got back from Key Largo and we had a 4 door focus, it was fucking terrible. It idled like shit and the transmission was junk. Other than the 42.1 MPG we got, there is nothing I liked about the car.

When we dropped the car off and I asked to talk about the idle issue, the entire staff know about it and said all of their focus/fiesta have the same idle and transmission issues and they are removing them from their fleet.

2002 Ford Focus

2013 Hyundai Elantra

Rented the Elentra and put over 1000 miles on it over the weekend. Major oversteer. Felt like you were rocking side to side down the highway. It actually made me ill to ride as a passenger and i have NEVER felt car sick. EVER. Severely underpowered too. Had to floor it to avoid getting rear ended when pulling out.

Volkswagen CC 2.0T

Zero acceleration, I thought it had s blown headgasket

A friend of mine was looking for a luxury car and this was on his list. I put my foot down because I felt a luxury car shouldn't putt around with that engine. I went into further detail but that's the gist of it. Sure, you could chip it, bolts ons, etc, but then you're still kinda defeating the purpose of a luxo daily. Besides, modded 2L turbos don't have the proper character for a true luxury automobile, imo.

I actually like the current Malibu.

Really?!?! I just rented one a week ago. TERRIBLE. seats, which I know are a carry over, were the worst! no backup camera with the huge back end. only 30.8mpg on the highway for the 4 cylinder too.

yuckyuckyuck