Do you genuinely enjoy your job?

Franchi

Just curious to ask CR how many on here genuinely enjoy their job overall? Or do you just do it to collect a paycheck to fund your lifestyle?

Obviously every job/position has ups and downs but overall, do you really like what you do for a living?

Not intended as a plug for anything whatsoever just this thought struck me today while I was at work and now I am intrigued to see how many really enjoy their job vs those who just do it to collect a check and don't really care what they do as long as the paycheck is sufficient. (nothing wrong with that either)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. And the pay sucks too. But I don't hate it, and the schedule is great, and I'm in line for a promotion at some point, and I really like everyone who works there. So I put up with it. I've never had a job that I truly enjoyed

I do not enjoy my day job whatsoever, but I enjoy the flexibility and compensation, so it's one of those, "I deal with the crap because it lets me do other things I really enjoy."

I do enjoy the side work I do via Falconry/Bird abatement.

Nope. IT work honestly benefits nobody and there are no tangible results from my work because it all just ends up breaking again eventually. So the sense of accomplishment that I feed off of when I'm doing woodworking or anything else really, just isn't there with my regular job.

My full time job: job sucks, pay is mediocre, no set start and stop times (salary too so company phone), PPM, virtially no one cares there any more. So picked up online C# programming classes to try something else, see where it goes!

For side jobs: working on cars is fine, trimming and cutting down trees is great, construction really ain't bad, using heavy equipment is always fun!

Overall I like my job. Lots of dumb issues working on cars, but when it comes to diagnosing an issue and making it work right it makes me happy. When the other techs in the shop go “Wow, how’d you figure that out?”, it really makes it satisfying. The worst part at this point in my career is everyone just expects that I’ll figure it out. That’s just not always possible when things act up so random you can’t pinpoint a cause, the service advisors and the customers just can’t seem to accept that sometimes.

Nope. IT work honestly benefits nobody and there are no tangible results from my work because it all just ends up breaking again eventually. So the sense of accomplishment that I feed off of when I'm doing woodworking or anything else really, just isn't there with my regular job.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I go to work to get paid and then I use my money for fun trips and other things outside of work.

I absolutely love my job 98% of the time. The politics of banking can be annoying and stressful at times...and ignorant borrowers/realtors drive me insane...but the joy of helping someone purchase their first/dream/etc home outweighs the con's.

-Marc

I like my profession (critical care RN); my job could be better.

Things I like:

-Troubleshooting and fixing problems. It's like being a mechanic, but waaay more complicated. The body is just a big, complex machine.

-Teaching people. This includes RNs that are new to critical care and the residents that cycle through our unit every month. Neither of them have any idea what they're doing, and I enjoy dropping some knowledge on them.

-The pace. I work 12+ hour shifts and most of the time, they fly by.

-Actually saving peoples lives (sometimes).

-I regularly see things most people could never even imagine.

Things I don't like:

-I regularly see things most people could never even imagine. There's A LOT of morbidity and mortality in our unit. We are the 4th busiest ICU and Trauma Center in the entire country. I've literally seen hundreds of people die, some quite spectacularly. This includes the 102yo woman whose heart is just plain worn out, to the 14yo kid who fell out of a 50ft tree and hit every branch on the way down. I've mostly gotten numb to it, which I'm unsure if that's a good or a bad thing. There are days where we will clean as much of the blood as we can off someone and then stuff them into a body bag, then turn to each other and say, "I'm thinking pizza for lunch; you guys want in?" It's not normal for most folks, but it is for us. We joke around a lot, most of which would probably be considered inappropriate, but, it helps.

-The pay is no where close to commensurate with the amount of work we do or the knowledge we carry around. Its annoying.

-Bureaucracy. Hospitals are giant businesses, but they're rather you not know that. I spend my entire day trying to provide the best care that I can for a person, and they spend their entire day counting beans and making my job extremely difficult. Do more with less should be their motto.

-Electronic Medical Records. Endless computerized charting. It's become so ungodly complicated to do the simplest of tasks because of the fucking IT side of things. I understand its supposed to make things coalesce more, but it slows my job down soooo much. I have to click on no-less-than 5-6 different warning boxes to administer a single medication. I'm sure you guys have seen the news about the shit that's going on right now with Mt. Carmel? This crap is a huge reason why. It's alarm fatigue, but on a computer. Give me back the days of tri-fold paper charting (never gonna happen...).

-The patients and their families (sometimes). A good chunk of them make it to our unit because of something stupid they've done. I do my absolute best to fix them all just the same. I do not discriminate nor will I ever. I will do my best to fix the rapist that got tossed over the balcony in jail just the same as I would try to fix Mother Teresa if she came in (and was actually still alive). But, the patients often make my life a royal pain in the ass, and families can be even worse. I can't tell you how often I get attitude from a family member like it's somehow my fault their loved one ended up here. Its a vent for them, so I generally allow it. But, people are mostly stupid.

-Monday morning quarterbacks. Its so ridiculously easy to make a mistake in this profession. Your mistakes cost your company money, my mistakes costs somebody their life. That being said, people love to question you after the fact about why you did or didn't do something a certain way. I personally, don't think I've made any huge errors in caring for people, but I've certainly made my share of mistakes over the years.

Overall, I do like my job. I make decent money, though I'd always like to make more. I will always have a job (unless I screw up). Its exciting and I thrive on that aspect. If I had to do it all over again, I'm not sure I would go down this same path. But, I also don't have any idea what I would do instead.

I don't hate my job but don't love it either. Im pretty bored at this point and wish there was more of a challenge. But the compensation is pretty good and I would definitely take a cut to move onto some else.

Does anyone else have that internal battle on whether you should be satisfied doing what you do? I feel like a good percentage of my friends and family think I've done pretty ok for myself and should be happy.. I continue to wonder if I should be pushing for the next step. I'm always torn.

What do most of you guys do? I see a few put in what they do.

I love my job about 80% of the time. I became the Internet manager 3 years ago and it's a much better experience not being strictly commission-based anymore. Byers is a great company overall and I've got some good, stand-behind-you bosses that I didn't have when I worked at MAG. I'm also spear-heading some new ideas to help us grow. It's nice to see your concepts starting to come to life.

I also love Ford. They make some kick-ass products (genuinely mean this too). Because of the loyalty that Ford owners have, I've got a long list of life-long customers that have become friends of my family and won't buy or deal with anyone else but me.

The downsides is it's become a mad race to the bottom. Everyone is cutting everyone else's throats. "Transparency" and "Automated" are also words that everyone throws around and demands us to be, and even when that's all in place, it still isn't good enough. :yuno:

The funniest thing about all of this is I went to school for journalism and this job is a lot more fun, rewarding and fulfilling than most of the journalism jobs I had before.

I don't hate my job but don't love it either. Im pretty bored at this point and wish there was more of a challenge. But the compensation is pretty good and I would definitely take a cut to move onto some else.

Does anyone else have that internal battle on whether you should be satisfied doing what you do? I feel like a good percentage of my friends and family think I've done pretty ok for myself and should be happy.. I continue to wonder if I should be pushing for the next step. I'm always torn.

You should always be pushing for the next step. My personal issue with that is there is not really a next step without dramatically changing what I do on a daily basis. I'm a GM World Class Technician, what that means is that there is nothing higher to achieve while still turning wrenches. While I may find some minor amount of money doing the same thing somewhere else, I'm pretty much at the top of working on cars. Techs don't typically move into service advising unless they suck at being a tech, and I don't know that any service managers came from being a tech unless they are a service advisor first. Besides I don't really want to deal directly with customers on a regular basis, which also pretty much kills opening my own business too. I guess as much as I like to keep working upward, unless I take some dramatic steps, I'm not going to do that anymore.

Mechanic at an independent auto repair shop.

It's great 90% of the time. There are quirks to most jobs I'd imagine. I guess it's ok here since I haven't left in about 14 years. The extreme weather days suck, there are days that car repairs don't go smoothly, but the stress doesn't come from how I'm paid, it's more keeping up with the schedule and holding up your end of the shop. There are only 4 of us, but we work very well together.

Love it. Pay is great, benefits are absolutely ridiculous, and I get to do/see different things all of the time. I think that's the thing that has kept all of my major employment endeavors interesting, I couldn't stand to do the same thing every day.

I like modding elevators because I get to see the old equipment and buildings, but also install every aspect of the new ones. If I were in new construction I'd probably like it a bit less.

I also enjoy that there aren't that many of us, and that 90% of the population has no idea what an elevator mechanic does.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Recently made a move to being an IT contractor, not independent though. Made the move because my team was not being paid even remotely fairly for the work we were doing at the company I was at after 8 years. I gave my old company literally every chance to impove things but everything would always fall through.

Love the company I'm contracted to now (AEP), but not my recruiter. Make lots of money, but can't leave if I wanted to. Tons of flexibility, but still technically agreed to be a slave. Thats on me, but still a negative. Terrible benefits as well. Luckily I am on my wife's insurance.