Why did you pick that type bike?

buildit

Why that type of bike?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Why that type of bike?

• I grew up riding similar bikes.
    • My friends all have them.
    • I like the type of riding style this bike is made for.
    • It's all I could afford or look what daddy got me. :lol:
    • I'm just so cool on this type of bike.
    • Hookers dig these bikes!

We all have various reasons why we ride the type (s) of bikes we do. I've found that very few people will get very diffrent bikes. In fact most who have two or more bikes have the same type of bike as a backup for their favorite bike.

So this begs the question, "Why did you pick that type of bike"? Is it because your friends all have them, is it what you grew up with that type of bike, is it financial reasons, or is it a preferance for that style of riding?:popcorn:

Curious minds wanna know.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past 3 days I've ridden, a mini bike, my sportbike, a Vstar 1100, and a Big Dog chopper.

Of the group I am most comfortable on my bike, I can turn without dragging something. (I can turn, in reference to the Big Dog). And if I need to get out of harms way I've got the power to do so.

Of course I enjoy speed and adrenaline too. The only adrenaline I got from the others was when I drug the floorboard on the Vstar through a corner, and having to cross the yellow line when I was turning onto another street on the Big dog...

i love riding any kind of bike, dirt is my favorite, more adreneline, they go anywhere, and climbing hills and stuff is fun and challenging. plus you can do stupid stuff and not worry about the bike as much or the cops :D

i bought the motard because i love dirt, and this is alot like it. and because i got bored of the gsxr on the street, i love the track, but its too expensive, and im tired of wrecking on the street in the twisties :lol

For me it was a combination of friends having sport bikes and the costs. I new I wanted a new bike, and most cruisers are gonna set you back 10k.. which was a little too much for my tastes. I might pick up a used cruiser in a few years after my sport bike is paid of.. But i'd probably pick up a track bike first - course that requires a new cage to trailer it with... I eventually want to get something to take on longer trips (multi-day).

I grew up hearing about CBX this and CBX that....

In 2001 I heard a rumor about a new CBX1600 that was supposed to come out in '04. at the time, the new CBX looked VERY similar to the XX...

HondaCBX1600.JPG

I knew I wanted it.. so I saved and saved, and found one in jersey...(the XX that is)

I guess I'm different in that I could have picked anything...when I got into bikes recently I had very little experience on anything so I just looked at all the different types and did some guessing which would be the most fun & serve my interests the best.

My first want was versatility. I didn't know what kind of riding I'd be doing, where I'd go, but I knew I didn't want to be limited by my choices. This led me to an adventure bike and eventually to a dual sport.

Not everyone has the same desires when they ride - but for me a bike (or bikes) are an expensive hobby, so if I was going to spend the dough I wanted the absolute most for my bucks. I didn't want to be limited, or restricted where and when I can ride. I wanted to be able to ride pretty much all year and to go anywhere or ride with anyone.

Bike number 1: VStrom 650: practical, reliable, comfortable, do-it-all. Will go most anywhere, gets good mileage, easy to mount luggage on.

bike number 2: Speed Triple: not very practical, brings out the best (worst?) in me. Second gear wheelies are fun!

2 total opposites, and I love them both for that very reason.

I had admired the KLR's for a while for being a tall bike with a big engine. Well, in 05' I found a used KLR650 and took off from work to get the bike, cash in hand. I practiced riding in the yard for two weeks to get my basic riding skills back before going to get my temp and hitting the street. I fell in love with riding all over again and soon was on the look out for a V-max (sold), then a XT250 (sold), then a V-strom, then a KE100 (sold), then a yz426 and finaly a KTM 950se. I've wanted to test ride a Kaw 1400 for a while but have yet to talk myself into going back to a 100% street bike. Especially after the trouble I found when I had the V-max. :)

where's the "Because I just dig this bike" option. Life got in the way and I hadn't ridden in over 10yrs. I got bit by the bug and started checking out my options. I could have purchased any bike or car I wanted, and nearly came home w/a new RX-8.

I went to the Harley/Buell dealer and checked out several HD and Buells. I went upstairs to check our the Sportsters (promised my best friend I would consider them), and the VROD w/the 240mm rear tire was just calling my name. After a 5 minute conversation w/the sales chick, I wrote the check, and me and my 3yr old son headed home.

Came back a week later when temps warmed up to 33°, and rode the VROD home with an ear to ear grin the entire 40 miles!