Shinko Tires Review

NINJA14

I wanted to hear some opinions on Shinko tires. I personally use them and I am very satisified. I've used the 005 adavanced on my Buell and the 003 drags on my zx14. However alot reviews I've read are either hit or miss. So anybody have any experiences?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i dislike them

i think the compound is garbage, and the profile of the tire is even worse

i had them on my r6, and they were ok for commuting, and did ok on my mostly highway ride to virginia beach and back

but i wont ever buy a set again. you can get a better tire for not much more money.. i have switched to michilens and im happy i did

everyone likes to slam them but i have been running the 009's and i am very happy with them. i dont give a shit what other people think about them ...they can run whatever the hell they want. shinko has come out with a couple of new tires, the 010's and the 011's. everyone else i have talked to with the 009's are happy with them too.

i just dont see how they are that great a deal..

i have seen them for around $193 a set 120/190

you can get pilot powers for about $240 in that size

or pilot power 2ct for $290

spend the extra $50 - $100 and get a better tire

again my main gripe is the tire profile on shinkos are absolute garbage

I ran a set on my Ducati SS last year and they SUCK really badly for any type of aggressive riding. Commuting is great because they're about as hard as your tank is. The profile is very squared and the compound is shitty too.

If you're broke, get some take-offs from someone to get you through.

as far as aggressive goes, i have been on quite a few very spirited rides and the 009's have done very well. i have not had any trouble keeping up with anyone, in fact im usually the one being held up......but, to each his own :rolleyes:

as far as aggressive goes, i have been on quite a few very spirited rides and the 009's have done very well. i have not had any trouble keeping up with anyone, in fact im usually the one being held up......but, to each his own :rolleyes:

Everybody is a racer in their own mind. Wanna try and see the limits of these tires? Come ride with me and we'll see where the tires leave you...

The deal is exactly how Hob related it. For not much more money, you can get a legit and better tire. Shinkos are great for the rider that has a budget, isn't riding hard on them and that doesn't expect them to be great tires. Sure, a once in a while blast down your favorite stretch of road? Not an issue. But, some of these guys ride pretty hard and a Shinko ain't gonna give back what they want.

The other side is that typically, you never know what a good tire feels like if you have never ridden on one. Shinko guys that stand up and say they are fine are usually guys that have little to no experience with other brands. The fact is that I can slap on a set of Pilot Powers and a set of Shinkos on the same bike and you will be able to tell a difference.

Oh, and on a bike like a ZX14 that while not the most agile curve cutter? They are always putting power down and that wears a tire out - squid or advanced rider aboard. Shinkos on that type of machine is a recipe for wasting money...

Everybody is a racer in their own mind. Wanna try and see the limits of these tires? Come ride with me and we'll see where the tires leave you...

The deal is exactly how Hob related it. For not much more money, you can get a legit and better tire. Shinkos are great for the rider that has a budget, isn't riding hard on them and that doesn't expect them to be great tires. Sure, a once in a while blast down your favorite stretch of road? Not an issue. But, some of these guys ride pretty hard and a Shinko ain't gonna give back what they want.

The other side is that typically, you never know what a good tire feels like if you have never ridden on one. Shinko guys that stand up and say they are fine are usually guys that have little to no experience with other brands. The fact is that I can slap on a set of Pilot Powers and a set of Shinkos on the same bike and you will be able to tell a difference.

im not talking about racing, as i said before....to each his own

I have never used Shinko's but I really so no reason to do so. When I am riding aggressively the last thing I want to be worrying about is if my tires are going to give me the feedback I need before they let go or not. I want to have total confidence in my tires and at this point the all the negative reviews on the Shinkos would always be in the back of my mind. Why chance it for a few bucks?

Shinkos are good if you do a lot of commuting especially the 009's easily get 12k out of a rear and from what I've heard the 003 is great for drag racing. If I was going to slab it accross country then I might consider a set of Shinkos but other than that no way would I even think about it there are so many other choices that are a 100% better

You guys and fighting over tires. ;) Some get so offended with tires. Tire threads on forums is as bad as oil threads. :lol:

true :) ...i just get tired of the constant shinko bashing, they do everything i ask of them very well and they are $157.98 to my door :D

money does not always equal quality

In this case it does.

If you corner at a 6/10ths pace the shinko would probably hold up ok. If you're going to ride more aggressively get a better tire.

Go to a track day and count how many bikes have shinkos mounted. My guess is ZERO.

just curious but have you tried another brand like a michelin/pirelli/dunlop/bstones? not trying to start something, legit curious.

i have run dunlops and metzelers but i have been so pleased with the shinkos that i didnt see any reason to use anything else. if i had a lot of money i might experiment with different tires but im poor :)

I wanted to hear some opinions on Shinko tires. I personally use them and I am very satisified. I've used the 005 adavanced on my Buell and the 003 drags on my zx14. However alot reviews I've read are either hit or miss. So anybody have any experiences?

Ninja, since you and I go way back with our friendship, I feel like I should answer this... I kept thinking about it, but wasn't sure, so I went back and found the receipt for a set of tires I put on my old gsxr600. Sure enough, they were Shinko tires. While I don't remember any specifics on how long they lasted, I do know that it was at least 10,000 miles, since it had 3,700 miles on it when I bought them, and I sold the gixxer with right at 11k.

True, they may not be as good as some tires, but I'd bet they're fine for 90% of riders, and $20 saved is $20.

Just curious, but if you've already got them, why are you asking opinions? That's like me starting a thread to ask if Conti Attacks are a good tire. :dunno: