Shinko Tires Review

NINJA14

Shinko's are great tires for their purpose. They are soft, sticky and have a flatter than normal profile. More tire on the DRAG track means more traction. If you want to go knee dragging and your on a budget Conti Sport attack work well. If your not on a budget, just like everyone says PP's are great.

the sport attacks are good tires.. i use them on street and track, but they really arent on a budget they are about mid pack pricing, the dunlop qualifiers are cheaper

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the sport attacks are good tires.. i use them on street and track, but they really arent on a budget they are about mid pack pricing, the dunlop qualifiers are cheaper

True, but you find them on sale quite a bit. I go mine when Hinds went out. 50% off. Gotta love it. Oh well, I don't have that bike anymore. Running a flat profile Shinko now. I can't turn anyways with the Brock's sidewinder and lowered profile, but I can sure make it to 190+ really really quick :)....Lets see someone's Dunlop or PP keep up with my Shinko in a roll on. My guess is if some can keep up, they are running a Shinko too.

True, but you find them on sale quite a bit. I go mine when Hinds went out. 50% off. Gotta love it. Oh well, I don't have that bike anymore. Running a flat profile Shinko now. I can't turn anyways with the Brock's sidewinder and lowered profile, but I can sure make it to 190+ really really quick :)....Lets see someone's Dunlop or PP keep up with my Shinko in a roll on. My guess is if some can keep up, they are running a Shinko too.

Oh oh I'll try and no I don't run shitko's :D

I have had a set of PP 2CTs in my living room for the past couple weeks. I was going to install them after I wore out the stock Pirellis on vacation. Anyhow, I get to my destination and surprisingly the Pirelli's cords start showing on the rear. There wasn't a significant flat spot, so I thought I had more to go. I decided to go and get some tires the next morning for safety/fun purposes.

After stopping at 2 or 3 motorcycle dealers with no success, I found a place that had tires and could install them rather cheaply. I was just happy that I was getting some new tires for the remainder of my vacation.

Anyhow the only tires that they had in stock were Shinkos 009. After a few miles of new-tire breakin I started getting a little more aggressive (70% mark) (40-50 mph quick flicks in 20-25mph corners). After riding the Pilot Powers on my previous bike and the Corsa 3s previously, I can definitely feel the difference. If I ride at the 70% mark they are good, but I feel like I'm approaching the traction limits. I'm not an expert rider by any mark, but my assessment is that these tires are great for moderate street touring. I just don't get that feeling that I'm glued to the pavement like with the Michelins and Pirellis.

In conclusion, I'm going to install the 2CTs as soon as I can. So, if anyone is interested in a slightly used set of Shinko 009s (180/55/120/70), they may be available soon.

Edited by alienpi

This is not a testament of Shinkos ability to anything well it's about your bike. Wouldn't it go just as fast with any other tire from a roll? The profile helps with launching not as much from a roll. I also call bullshit on the 190 MPH too unless verified by GPS it is a very hard number to reach without a power adder.

There was a guy on the ride in Dayton yesterday who had Shinko mounted; they were perfectly fine for that ride. They do have their place, work well if long life and cheap tires are what you want or need; some people don't need to ride around at mach to have a good time riding.

This is not a testament of Shinkos ability to anything well it's about your bike. Wouldn't it go just as fast with any other tire from a roll? The profile helps with launching not as much from a roll. I also call bullshit on the 190 MPH too unless verified by GPS it is a very hard number to reach without a power adder.

There was a guy on the ride in Dayton yesterday who had Shinko mounted; they were perfectly fine for that ride. They do have their place, work well if long life and cheap tires are what you want or need; some people don't need to ride around at mach to have a good time riding.

I was joking about the Shinko LOL.....I know it's the bike. 190 depends on which sprocket is on the bike. Yes there is a little bit of a power add to the bike. If you want to play the dyno game, do NOT run a Shinko. A used hard tire will give you a perceived HP boost on the dyno. This is why you can't rely on dyno numbers alone. If you really want a good dyno number go on a cooler, non-humid day and run an old bias ply tire.

Really? Why is this?

The Shinko ultra soft tires tend to be very heavy and have a bad habit of slipping on the dyno. Not sure why they slip more on a dyno, than on the street. Bias ply tires are very light in comparison to radial. No they do not give you more HP LOL. They will show higher dyno numbers though. Hang out at a few dyno days and you can learn the beat the dyno tricks.

190 depends on which sprocket is on the bike. Yes there is a little bit of a power add to the bike.

irrelevant to the thread.........

isn't the speed restricted to 186 mph for US street bikes from 2001 with the govorner ? I think in 99-2000 busa's could reach 194 mph stock, ya you can tamper it....I just don't know how.......

isn't the speed restricted to 186 mph for US street bikes from 2001 with the govorner ? I think in 99-2000 busa's could reach 194 mph stock, ya you can tamper it....I just don't know how.......

Yes, the speed detente was 2001-on, but a simple wiring fix to fool the ECU to think it's in 5th gear while it's really in 6th gear will remove the speed restriction.

Those speeds are a lie even if the magazines "proved" them out. I had a 05 Busa that had stock gearing; it would go to an indicated 186 but would only GPS 170. I also had a ZX12R that was -1/+2 that would peg the speedometer but would only go 167 MPH with the GPS while it was banging off the rev-limiter. 190 on a dyno means nothing to real world riding for top speeds.

Yes Smithabusa box and ECU editor. You have to add the timing back in and remove the rev limiter. Well not remove it but set it higher. Back to Shinko's LOL.