Shinko Tires Review

NINJA14

Dude, are you serious? Name one series they had their asses handed to them in road racing.

AMA- Superbike, Super stock, Super Sport, Formula Extreme, 250 GP, Pro twins. Shall I go on? Michelin tried to compete in all of those series and had their ass handed to them in all of them. Maybe you should have went and gave Rossi some pointers on how to make those shit tires work on the M1?

Should we discuss Michelin's tack record in MX and cars as well? Remember the F1 race at Indy in 05, tell me more about how great Michelin tires are.

I would not mount Michelin tires on my lawn mower.

Still like those French Carbone Lorraine brake pads as well?

I know it's you job to try and promote STT products but I'd rather have a un-biased opinion myself.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, hard compound. I know one person that went down on dry clean pavement, on a cruiser, on a cold day, when a Shinko on front washed out. He won't have another one. Back in the day, we pretty much said the same thing about Pirelli street tires. Hard compound, last forever, no grip in the rain.

The French do make a few good things. Cheese, baguettes, and Dunlops. Lol

Not sure, I remember Dunlops being British. Way back when. Last time I checked, most of them are made in Japan and Brazil. And now a days perhaps China. France too, I suppose. I suspect some vintage Dunlops are still made in Britain. It's that world economy thing...

And having had a couple of adventures with tire failures, I won't ever put a tire on front that doesn't have excellent strength, grip, reputation, and lots of tread left. Cost is not an issue for a motorcycle front tire...

Before anyone asks, I've always used Dunlops. But the new bike has Battlax OEM (BT56). I'd be happy with any of the major tire names. But I bet I'm used to how Dunlops feel for handling/maneuvering. That doesn't mean much, because that has changed a huge amount over the years. Modern tires are light years ahead of the old bias ply stuff.

Bridgestone... For my application, they're awesome! I have the BT45's on both bikes, and they perform well. I've been riding kinda hard on them on the Ninja, and they've done really well. I don't have much to compare to, because I put them on the Ninja shortly after I started riding, and it was my first bike though. It had the OE Dunlop's on it, and at less than 3000 miles, they were done. The rear was worn out in the center (I bought the bike with almost 2400 miles on it :eek:) and the front was cupped, BADLY. I suppose anything new would've been an improvement in that case, and I'm really happy with what I got.

I put a set of Shinko 244 knobies on the KLR, got them and had to get a can of chian wax to qualify for the $80 or more free shipping. They're decent, did some hard on/off road last year in the Hocking area and had no problems.

AMA- Superbike, Super stock, Super Sport, Formula Extreme, 250 GP, Pro twins. Shall I go on? Michelin tried to compete in all of those series and had their ass handed to them in all of them. Maybe you should have went and gave Rossi some pointers on how to make those shit tires work on the M1?

Should we discuss Michelin's tack record in MX and cars as well? Remember the F1 race at Indy in 05, tell me more about how great Michelin tires are.

I would not mount Michelin tires on my lawn mower.

Still like those French Carbone Lorraine brake pads as well?

I know it's you job to try and promote STT products but I'd rather have a un-biased opinion myself.

Seriously, man... You're an idiot.

They had pretty much nobody in AMA due to the fact that Goodyear paid more. It's more about money than anything...

Wanna chirp in on how many championships Rossi made and won on Michelins? Do you believe that had Michelin WON the contract for the spec tire that all the riders wouldn't have completed races and failed at the events they ran?

Want unbiased? Ask me how many tire companies I have raced for. Ask how many I have tested under some serious conditions. Ask me who I think are the players and who isn't. I never once say ill about Pirelli, Michelin or Dunlop. Know why? Well, if you don't know, it won't amaze me...

MX? Let's look at world MX events. Let's also discuss world car events...

What, because you seemingly only like the brands that pay the most, you probably run Dunlop tires on your racey ZR1100, Goodyear tires on your car, run EBC brake pads and only use BP fuel....

Well, you are welcome to come out and go up against my inferior brake pads, shit tires and crappy gas.

You truly amaze me as to how you have no clue what you speak and only base things on what you read or what you see on machines that are racing with organizations that have a spec tire...

We won't even go into club racing where Robert Jensen has numerous track records on shit pile Michelins...

Isn't it funny that you probably think Dunlop is kick ass because Goodyear dumps enough money in the AMA series (remember, you think Michelin sucks because of their results in AMA) and yet, they too suck major tit in MotoGP. Yes, if you think Michelin sucks balls after all the championships (count for me the number in 10 years so you can counter what you stated) they garnished in MotoGP, then Dunlop has to be total shit, right? Afterall, they have really tried to do MotoGP and failed terribly.

Oh, and Pirelli must suck a major set of donkey balls because they cannot win shit at the AMA level and aren't even a spec in world level stuff like MotoGP. Guess that WSBK and WSS racing means dick.

The deal is simple. Call us when you've tried more than two sets of tires and don't base what you know on what you read.

Wow.

... It had the OE Dunlop's on it, and at less than 3000 miles, they were done. The rear was worn out in the center (I bought the bike with almost 2400 miles on it :eek:) and the front was cupped, BADLY....

The first 919, the 2002 had that when I bought it. Qualifiers with cupping in the front and flat spotted in the rear. It had 4200 when I bought it. The next set of the same Dunlops didn't do that. And lasted a lot longer, sort of. Dunno.

I have a Diablo Corsa III on the front, and a Pilot Road 2 on the rear. Anything else is WRONG!!!

WRONG!!! Supercorsa on the rear, and Power one on the front. It's what the chicks dig too.

You guys saying there is only a $30 difference are all kind of wrong. There is about an $800 difference in the tires being compared. The Michelin PP2CTs last about 2K miles at about $950 to get you to 10K. The Shinkos are about $150 a set that goes 10K miles.

They last longer than 2000 miles. Hell the set of Pilot Powers on my bike now have been through 8 novice and 8 intermediate track days and I now have 1500 street miles on them. If you get off the highway they will last longer.

I was wrong when I posted the $800 difference. I wasn't taking into consideration that a front will last through two rears, so that figure might be closer to $400. Still a savings for someone looking to commute or just cruise around to bike nights.

I do very little riding except for weekend rides on curvy roads and try to stay off the highways getting to the curvy roads. I was getting about 1,800 to 2,100 for a rear tire with the 600, I don't even want to think about what this stupid 1K gets but I'm on my fourth rear and I am sure I'm getting less life out of them than I was with the 600. I have never done a burn out or try to abuse the tires in any way. If you can get more miles out of a tire you need to teach me how to ride because I must be doing something wrong. I asked a guy on here to pray for the tire eating bike but it hasn’t taken yet or the bad in the bike is just too strong for prayer.

If you pump them up to 42 psi you can ride on them forever but won't get them to heat up enough to get any traction, which would be like riding on Shinkos. If you only have 30 psi in them they heat up get great traction but only last 2,000 miles. I think I'm starting to understand some of these motorcycle rules. One could choose to ride at 42 psi but you just can't ride with your buddies because the tires won't grip and will put you on your ass but you will save money on tires. Only running 30 psi means you throw money away on tires but don't end up on your ass. Seems simple enough, maybe I won't need that riding lesson on how to make my tires last longer, I get to choose how to ride and what tires fit how I ride.

I have never done a burn out or try to abuse the tires in any way.

You dont call the way you ride abuse of the tire?? What did that poor tire ever do to you to make you treat it like you do?? Riding it hard, using it up right to the edges, taking all it has to offer and then simply thowing it out with the trash like a empty soup can. That,sir, is abuse in my book.

You dont call the way you ride abuse of the tire?? What did that poor tire ever do to you to make you treat it like you do?? Riding it hard, using it up right to the edges, taking all it has to offer and then simply thowing it out with the trash like a empty soup can. That,sir, is abuse in my book.

I'm not sure if you know this or not but they like to be treated like that, it makes them happy. Blue smoke kills them but leaving dark lines on the road brings them joy. Maybe you should just pray for the tire eating bitch or give me a riding lesson on how you think I should be using them. I don't want you to go teaching me how to crash like you do all the groups you lead. That crashing shit gets expensive and I need money for tires.

Proud of myself for making a decent thread! LOL jp. Anyways I had the shinko 005 advanced on my Buell and I bounced the foot pegs off the ground many times, scraped and leaned into the every once and a while. While of course everyone likes to believe they are an AMA superstar, I really use my bike for communting, fun riding, and short quick jaunts. I could ride harder but why when I ride on the street 90% of the time, I'd rather live to ride another day then take a chance of putting it down. I hit the occasional twistie, I handle them pretty well (looking forward to going to putnam). Plus I believe alot of times you just pay extra for a name. However paying another 200 or 300 whatever to have a settled mind is worth it to me. Might as well slap some Pirelli's on it and call it a day I guess then, Correct? I'm sure Hoblick will steer me in the right direction, awesome dude!

Edited by NINJA14

Seriously, man... You're an idiot.

They had pretty much nobody in AMA due to the fact that Goodyear paid more. It's more about money than anything...

Wanna chirp in on how many championships Rossi made and won on Michelins? Do you believe that had Michelin WON the contract for the spec tire that all the riders wouldn't have completed races and failed at the events they ran?

Want unbiased? Ask me how many tire companies I have raced for. Ask how many I have tested under some serious conditions. Ask me who I think are the players and who isn't. I never once say ill about Pirelli, Michelin or Dunlop. Know why? Well, if you don't know, it won't amaze me...

MX? Let's look at world MX events. Let's also discuss world car events...

What, because you seemingly only like the brands that pay the most, you probably run Dunlop tires on your racey ZR1100, Goodyear tires on your car, run EBC brake pads and only use BP fuel....

Well, you are welcome to come out and go up against my inferior brake pads, shit tires and crappy gas.

You truly amaze me as to how you have no clue what you speak and only base things on what you read or what you see on machines that are racing with organizations that have a spec tire...

We won't even go into club racing where Robert Jensen has numerous track records on shit pile Michelins...

Isn't it funny that you probably think Dunlop is kick ass because Goodyear dumps enough money in the AMA series (remember, you think Michelin sucks because of their results in AMA) and yet, they too suck major tit in MotoGP. Yes, if you think Michelin sucks balls after all the championships (count for me the number in 10 years so you can counter what you stated) they garnished in MotoGP, then Dunlop has to be total shit, right? Afterall, they have really tried to do MotoGP and failed terribly.

Oh, and Pirelli must suck a major set of donkey balls because they cannot win shit at the AMA level and aren't even a spec in world level stuff like MotoGP. Guess that WSBK and WSS racing means dick.

The deal is simple. Call us when you've tried more than two sets of tires and don't base what you know on what you read.

Wow.

random thread jack, i heard Jensen wasn't racing this year...?

random thread jack, i heard Jensen wasn't racing this year...?

No money via contingencies this year... A lot of guys are sitting on the couch this year... Young pups and that's pretty much it racing for the top spots...