Shinko Tires Review

NINJA14

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have run dunlops and metzelers but i have been so pleased with the shinkos that i didnt see any reason to use anything else. if i had a lot of money i might experiment with different tires but im poor :)
A set of Pilot Powers in 120/160 for that SV would set you back an extra 27.32 from the number you posted and my quick google shopping search. You've not tried them therefore your opinion is invaild, they are by far a better tire. You said you are not slow and rode many "spirited" rides on them when others were holding you back. Judgeing by your pics of your riding gear and your other posts in other threads I think your "spirited" pace is our Sunday cruise pace, I could be wrong so humor me and come down this way for one the notorious Coshocton rides and test those Shinko's at our pace and I give you my word if they dont fail you at our pace I'll take my Michielins off and put a set of Shinko's on my bike. Cant be any more fair than that can I?
Ninja, since you and I go way back with our friendship, I feel like I should answer this... I kept thinking about it, but wasn't sure, so I went back and found the receipt for a set of tires I put on my old gsxr600. Sure enough, they were Shinko tires. While I don't remember any specifics on how long they lasted, I do know that it was at least 10,000 miles, since it had 3,700 miles on it when I bought them, and I sold the gixxer with right at 11k.

True, they may not be as good as some tires, but I'd bet they're fine for 90% of riders, and $20 saved is $20.

Just curious, but if you've already got them, why are you asking opinions? That's like me starting a thread to ask if Conti Attacks are a good tire. :dunno:

I already know your riding style so there is no good input there, you've not tested the limits of a tire. I dont mean that to be a slam so please dont take it that way.

I already know your riding style so there is no good input there, you've not tested the limits of a tire. I dont mean that to be a slam so please dont take it that way.

Believe me, I know. I'm slow. That's the point I was trying to make, though. I think Shinko's are fine for people that stay away from the edge, just based on my limited experience with them.

Its a trap. Any except for the copper ones right?

Fucking Duracell's... :lol:

Just my $.02, since I've not ran them personally (nor will I from the reviews I've heard for what will fit my bike.)

SOME of their tires are pretty decent. That means that the rest are just meh... or flat out suck balls. I don't think they make ANY tires that would be suited for the track, and I doubt that they even try to market them that way. They know where they belong, and there a MANY street riders that would be just fine with them, as the majority of street riders know nothing close to the limits of their bike, or even mediocre tires. Maybe one day I will know some of this... :dunno:

i bet garysol could pedal faster than those bikes.

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

i must not respond

:lol: Fer reelz!

Shinko's are great tires for their purpose. They are soft, sticky and have a flatter than normal profile. More tire on the DRAG track means more traction. If you want to go knee dragging and your on a budget Conti Sport attack work well. If your not on a budget, just like everyone says PP's are great.

talk is cheap and i am done....carry on kiddies

Yes, yes it is thats why I posted this. I guess that means you're not interested in finding out??

I think your "spirited" pace is our Sunday cruise pace, I could be wrong so humor me and come down this way for one the notorious Coshocton rides and test those Shinko's at our pace and I give you my word if they dont fail you at our pace I'll take my Michielins off and put a set of Shinko's on my bike. Cant be any more fair than that can I?

Thats not cheap talk, I offered to get a set if they perform.

im not talking about racing, as i said before....to each his own

I wasn't either. I was talking street riding. Come ride with me and I'll show you the limits of the Shinkos... Not arrogance - just telling the truth...

You were painting a picture you tear it up on the street and I am telling you they won't handle it.

All i have to say is your LIFE rides on the tires you install on ur bike. If ur only worth $157 go for it! Deff worth the extra $$$$$ no matter if its $50,$100 or even $1000 to save your skin and bike.

What are you racing on this year??

;)

Edited by Desmo-Brian

talk is cheap and i am done....carry on kiddies

Dude, here's the drill. You came on and puffed your chest out and stated that you're not slow and you ride a "spirited pace". You are defending a tire that is VERY much a lesser counter part than any other tire mentioned in this thread.

That being said, nobody said a damn thing about them not being compatible with certain riders. Sure, as clearly stated before, if you do not ride aggressively and just cruise, they probably will work w/o issue. But, wick it up and they are going to have limitations that show MUCH sooner than say, the Michelins do.

You want to argue and there are plenty of people on here that have some fairly extensive knowledge of different tires and from putting them through their paces. You say you are poor and thus, the reason why you buy them. You are then shown that for under $30 more, you can get a MUCH more capable tire.

Quit with the third grade pouting crap and listen to what is being said...

^^^Ricky Racer( :D )made some good points Tim. I always thought Shitkos were for Stuntas and DragStars.

But hey next time you're in the market look at the Mich Road 2s.

They'll prolly last you forever. ;)

Dude is being a jackass, Brian. Don't stress on it. I'm sure he thinks Shinko has some GP sponsorship or something...! :lol:

As compared to Michelin who has had their ass handed to them in EVERY series they have tried to compete in for the past 10 years?

I remember less than 10 years ago guys would snicker at you if you had Bridgestones on you bike, not so today.

As compared to Michelin who has had their ass handed to them in EVERY series they have tried to compete in for the past 10 years?

I remember less than 10 years ago guys would snicker at you if you had Bridgestones on you bike, not so today.

Dude, are you serious? Name one series they had their asses handed to them in road racing... They lost out on the MotoGP due to not getting the contract for being the spec tire... Sure, Rossi changed over and a few others, but realize this - technology changes and things are sometimes better at that instance.

As for Bridgestones, you are still laughed at if you run those on anything other than MotoGP... Michelin has had nothing short of a pretty amazing history of wins that are well within the 10 years you so describe...

You kill me with the comments...

You really need to straighten out the facts before you chime in with your 1998 mentality...

Liz got a free set of mich for me to try lol

Which ones? Let's talk setup so you have the best setup before you ride on them, cool? It won't make any difference and probably be worse if you run w/o resetting things...

I got a TON of notes for that chassis...

You guys saying there is only a $30 difference are all kind of wrong. There is about an $800 difference in the tires being compared. The Michelin PP2CTs last about 2K miles at about $950 to get you to 10K. The Shinkos are about $150 a set that goes 10K miles.

These tires are perfectly fine if you ride your sport bike like a cruiser or do a lot of commuting. If you try pushing them because your buddies are laughing at you they become very expensive because they will put you on your ass if pushed.

Long lasting compound, stable profile and cheap, this has its place. Not on most sport bikes and certainly not mine but I like to try to ride mine as a sport bike is intended.