What internet do you have?

chevysoldier

Today, I began my 30-day trial for Time Warner before I cancel my Centurylink. The performance is pretty awesome so far. The price for 30Mbps was the same as the Centurylink's 10Mbps (max in my area), so i didn't think it'd hurt to upgrade.

I attached a partial screenshot of some Torrent Downloads. Figured I'd download a few movies to test out my new Internets.

I currently have TWC at my apartment. Still gotta look into what's available at my new condo. They are great but I think they can be really expensive. I've had WOW before and it was pretty much the same as TWC but a lot cheaper (just not available where I currently live). A few years ago, I had insight and had nothing but problems with them. I turned in my equipment and their staff is so unorganized that they claim I never returned the equipment and that I owe them $180 because of it. and I"ve been fighting with them ever since. I dont know much about AT&T but I have heard good things, I'm just not a huge fan of DSL.

I have twc & I'm not fond of it. It's ok till there is a problem. Then they systematically blame your modem & waste many hours of your time on the phone transferring you around before they actually come out & fix the problem with the trap.

Mifi verizon. Best and only choice for multiple connections from one device, other than satellite, where I live. Around $30 for 5gb or $50 for 10gb.

It works and you can take it with you for kiddies or traveling. Built in battery or charges from a car phone charger or 110v charger. Up to 5 devices at once.

I have time warner with 15mbps and turbo boost. Only complaint was they caught me torrenting and gave me a warning I had to acknoledge before using the internet again telling me to stop or they will disconnect my Internet. Well it was my fault, I was seeding. Easy solution is to not seed. My Internet speeds are so fast I can download entire movies in minutes, just have to make sure they don't seed after completion either.

Just did this

56B344D0-9DE5-430E-95E2-FC88F676A15A-27039-00000B199246D478.jpg

Edited by JStump

I have time warmer with 15mbps and turbo boost. Only complaint was they caught me torrenting and gave me a warning I had to acknoledge before using the internet again telling me to stop or they will disconnect my Internet. Well it was my fault, I was seeding. Easy solution is to not seed. My Internet speeds are so fast I can download entire movies in minutes, just have to make sure they don't seed after completion either.

Just did this

Yeah, 90% of people who get in trouble for for torrenting is because of the seeding. Companies con monitor your uploads but not your downloads. I've known several people who got caught (including my mom) for this. So I should her how not to seed and now she's right back at it.

Road runner didn't need to log in if you skipped their software install.

That did make it a bit harder to find RR email.

Me using insight which is now RR TW. Basic package, around $100 bucks for tv and internet / month. Seldom goes out, it takes a major event to disrupt. I've had it so long that I was a beta tester for them in the beginning. That's right, they installed it for free and it was free for 6 months. All I had to do was surf the net.

I've had Wow for several years. Recently switched to TW/insight. Loved the Cable TV room to room. But the internet was absolute garbage. In the 4 weeks we had the service we had techs to the house at least a dozen times. And a few trips they had 2 techs. Usually just one dumb ass would show up, and see the problem, and get on his phone call and chat with somebody for awhile. Then tell us there turning it over to another dept to check the outside lines. There speed test is a joke, with the turbo it will send a quick blast when you first load a page. But the problem I was having was trying to stream videos, like HD YouTube or Netflix. And trying to upload was impossible cause it would just come to a complete stop. 15 min video loading all night and still not completed!

Techs would show up, hoping to find problems with my PC. The one guy sits down opens windows task manager, and says wow you have a 8 core processor! And then they act like my registry is probably corrupted, or I have viruses. Although when they pull there laptop out and plug into router, they too can't watch a HD video w/out buffering every few seconds! So they tell me YouTube's has different bandwidth aloud for certain videos. Like the ones with several million hits have more than say my videos with a handful of views. So I tell the tech to search for GoPro HD. And select the top video and try and play it in full screen 1080I. Well it takes like 20 mins to watch a 5 minute video. The tech wrote down the video and said would take it to his IT dept. And on his return trip he told me that they could not watch HD YouTube video's from there own hub w/out buffering! And that's just the way it is...

At that point I run him out of the house. And whats funny is a few weeks after we cancelled and switched back to Wow. I pull into my back alley after work, same guy and his buddy outside fixing or testing lines. I holler at him about time you guys fix this shit, and walk into the house. lol TM/Insight sucks....

Good little story with lots of truth. Streaming video is really iffy with them, sometimes I can stream just fine while others I just want to freakn murder them its so slow

wireless router or cable connected?

If wireless, it is possible something just disrupts the signal. I know people say that it doesnt happen. But every time my microwave is going, my internet goes to shit.

btw, does anyone live in Hilliard? I'm moving there soon. I close on my condo today. What are the services available out there? Because if I can get rid of TWC, I would. Too damn expensive.

wireless router or cable connected?

If wireless, it is possible something just disrupts the signal. I know people say that it doesnt happen. But every time my microwave is going, my internet goes to shit.

Its wired, the wireless took a poop a while back. I do notice that different video sharing services (via project free tv) stream alot faster than others. Like putlocker is always the best while others just drag to load up. My router is about 5yrs old and have read that routers now-a-days are a huge upgrade so perhaps mine is a bottleneck of what I should have.

Its wired, the wireless took a poop a while back. I do notice that different video sharing services (via project free tv) stream alot faster than others. Like putlocker is always the best while others just drag to load up. My router is about 5yrs old and have read that routers now-a-days are a huge upgrade so perhaps mine is a bottleneck of what I should have.

Yeah, could be the router. You could connect directly to the modem and see if it runs faster. Or it could be the site just has a shitty upload and then it's not on your end at all.

I've got WOW in Hilliard - cheap, works great, no complaints.

I had TWC near campus - horrible. Poor customer service, I spent several hours on the phone with them over the course of 2 years because the service kept going out and they always blamed us, but somehow magically fixed it when I told them to credit our account for the time it wasn't working.

I had Insight in Gahanna and it worked fine but was expensive because they had a monopoly over my apt complex.

I've got WOW in Hilliard - cheap, works great, no complaints.

I had TWC near campus - horrible. Poor customer service, I spent several hours on the phone with them over the course of 2 years because the service kept going out and they always blamed us, but somehow magically fixed it when I told them to credit our account for the time it wasn't working.

I had Insight in Gahanna and it worked fine but was expensive because they had a monopoly over my apt complex.

thank you that is super helpful. I loved WOW when I had it so that makes me excited.

I've had Wow for several years. Recently switched to TW/insight. Loved the Cable TV room to room. But the internet was absolute garbage. In the 4 weeks we had the service we had techs to the house at least a dozen times. And a few trips they had 2 techs. Usually just one dumb ass would show up, and see the problem, and get on his phone call and chat with somebody for awhile. Then tell us there turning it over to another dept to check the outside lines. There speed test is a joke, with the turbo it will send a quick blast when you first load a page. But the problem I was having was trying to stream videos, like HD YouTube or Netflix. And trying to upload was impossible cause it would just come to a complete stop. 15 min video loading all night and still not completed!

Techs would show up, hoping to find problems with my PC. The one guy sits down opens windows task manager, and says wow you have a 8 core processor! And then they act like my registry is probably corrupted, or I have viruses. Although when they pull there laptop out and plug into router, they too can't watch a HD video w/out buffering every few seconds! So they tell me YouTube's has different bandwidth aloud for certain videos. Like the ones with several million hits have more than say my videos with a handful of views. So I tell the tech to search for GoPro HD. And select the top video and try and play it in full screen 1080I. Well it takes like 20 mins to watch a 5 minute video. The tech wrote down the video and said would take it to his IT dept. And on his return trip he told me that they could not watch HD YouTube video's from there own hub w/out buffering! And that's just the way it is...

At that point I run him out of the house. And whats funny is a few weeks after we cancelled and switched back to Wow. I pull into my back alley after work, same guy and his buddy outside fixing or testing lines. I holler at him about time you guys fix this shit, and walk into the house. lol TM/Insight sucks....

Seriously, there is NO WAY I'm going to let a cable company tech TOUCH my computer - AT ALL! There is no reason they should need to!

BTW... How do you like you 8 core processor? I'm not sure that mine is much better than a good dual core, or quad core.